Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On fence choosing between Model X and Mercedes GLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go - Mercedes still way behind Tesla. The pedestrian feature won't avoid the pedestrian on its own. It just turns the steering wheel harder after the driver swerves in order to help swerve harder, which in an SUV, could cause a rollover. The much lower center of gravity on the Model X is a far bigger safety feature. Mercedes also don't have OTA updates, and fleet learning, so the system you get when you drive the Mercedes off the lot is it. Nice to know that the Tesla Autopilot, which is already much better, will be even better in your car 1-2 years from now after more free updates.

Mercedes-Benz's 2017 E-Class won't let you nap behind the wheel

It's kinda off topic for this thread, but that article is some crazy spin!

Mercedes could have made the system better, but while it is staying in the lane it occasionally wanders out of the lane so that you'll feel important and in control?!?

The system disengaging with no warning or notification sounds downright dangerous to me, too.

And yet Nevada somehow certified this car to drive itself, and doesn't accept Tesla doing so?

Something does not compute here...

It's kinda off topic for this thread, but that article is some crazy spin!

Mercedes could have made the system better, but while it is staying in the lane it occasionally wanders out of the lane so that you'll feel important and in control?!?

The system disengaging with no warning or notification sounds downright dangerous to me, too.

And yet Nevada somehow certified this car to drive itself, and doesn't accept Tesla doing so?

Something does not compute here...
There is a discussion thread in the Model S forum:
1st drive of 2017 MBZ E-class: lane keeping is STILL inferior Tesla's

OK, you got me. I forgot the exhaust system. The seats, wheels, brakes, rotors, tires, doors, windshields, shocks, lights, trunks, steering, compressors, safety tech, vanity mirrors, cup holders, etc. are all same.

Hmmm. The alternator, distributor, fuel injection rail, serpentine belt, fuel pump & filter, oil pump & radiator, mechanical a/c compressor (as opposed to electric compressor), transmission, torque converter, differential, CV joints, catalyitc converter, muffler, (Oh, you added exhaust system, skip that), air intake and filter, spark plugs......

Last edited:
Hmmm. The alternator, distributor, fuel injection rail, serpentine belt, fuel pump & filter, oil pump & radiator, mechanical a/c compressor (as opposed to electric compressor), transmission, torque converter, differential, CV joints, catalytic converter, muffler, (Oh, you added exhaust system, skip that), air intake and filter, spark plugs......

I forgot the starter, starter solenoid, oil filter, gas tank, evaporative emission control system, DEF system (if diesel).....

But aside from that, yes, the power windows, seats, brakes, windshield etc. can have the same issues as an ICE car.

I forgot the starter, starter solenoid, oil filter, gas tank, evaporative emission control system, DEF system (if diesel).....

But aside from that, yes, the power windows, seats, brakes, windshield etc. can have the same issues as an ICE car.
What about the belts? They break. And the engine gaskets leak and need replacing eventually even if you don't drive the ICE as well.

Reactions: Drucifer
For what it is worth, I decided against trading in our 2016 GL for the Model X and instead bought a Model S as a daily driver, making the GL our family road trip car. The Model X would not be able to replace the GL when we needed the most, carrying 6 people and their luggage for a 3 hour trip. The Model S is perfect around town and for road trips when we are not carrying the extended family.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I decided against trading in our 2016 GL for the Model X and instead bought a Model S as a daily driver and making the GL our family road trip car. The Model X would not be able to replace the GL when we needed the most, carrying 6 people and their luggage for a 3 hour trip. The Model S is perfect around town and for road trips when we are not carrying the extended family.
Glad to see you came to a good decision for you and your family.

Reactions: Jurnimon
@RajendraD I have a Model S 85D. My significant other has a PHEV. I got out of an AMG S63 for the Model S. If the safety features of Blind Spot, Pedestrian, etc. are your deciding factor, then it is NOT a Tesla. Sorry, Tesla Fans. I love my Model S, but frankly the lane departure and blind spot functionality does not come close to matching much of anything. We cancelled our Model X back in March for many reasons. Quality control was the major reason. But, after doing so, we looked at Volvo, MB, Lexus, Jaguar, BMW, Lincoln and more. All of them had better active safety features. All of them had fold-down second row seating and all of them had more cargo area. Just trying to answer you honestly, with my opinion.

@xkwizit I am not on fence between EV and ICE. EV is no doubt best for driving which I realised when I test drove it. My only concern is safety features like BSM, Pedestrian detection and auto braking. I am comparing those features. Tesla, no doubt is the safest vehicle when involved in crash . Question is, does it have the best technology to avoid accident. That is where I am on fense and seeking advice from current tesla owners.

• Informative
Reactions: GottaGetRidOfICE
HI,

I am new to this thread. I am in market for 7 seater SUV and my initial choice was GLS until a friend introduced me to Model X. I am in awe of Model X driving (test drove it in NYC). To close the deal I have few questions . Appreciate TMC members time and effort

1. How are Model X active safety features compared to Mercedes GLS's active safety features like Pedestrian detection, Active Lane keep assist, Active Blind spot assist (especially when auto pilot is not in use)
2. Coming to Blind Spot Monitoring, how effective is it? I read rather unsettling reviews online about its BLS feature . I got so used to this in my current car

I tried to get some info from TM website but the information is rather sparse. Also the TM office bearers are vague in their info.

Appreciate your inputs. This would definitely help me pull the plug.

Thanks in Advance
Raj D
Not sure if you have seen this already: here is the latest comparison of the Tesla and Mercedes semi-autonomous systems by Motor Trend. Especially on the last test: it's not even a contest.

@RajendraD I have a Model S 85D. My significant other has a PHEV. I got out of an AMG S63 for the Model S. If the safety features of Blind Spot, Pedestrian, etc. are your deciding factor, then it is NOT a Tesla. Sorry, Tesla Fans. I love my Model S, but frankly the lane departure and blind spot functionality does not come close to matching much of anything. We cancelled our Model X back in March for many reasons. Quality control was the major reason. But, after doing so, we looked at Volvo, MB, Lexus, Jaguar, BMW, Lincoln and more. All of them had better active safety features. All of them had fold-down second row seating and all of them had more cargo area. Just trying to answer you honestly, with my opinion.

I do agree the Driver assistance package on MB's is more user friendly than what is offered on our Tesla, Auto Pilot excluded. The GL has more third row seating that just about any other SUV. The Model X, will work if for 6 people if most are under 6' or there are no car seats involved. If the car had the 35" of leg room and more headroom in the rear, so maybe 4 inches longer, the car would have been perfect for us. I suspect the additional weight lowered the range.

• Disagree
Reactions: msnow
I am a little late to this thread, but one word should be enough to seal the deal in favor of Tesla.

Autopilot.

Honestly there is nothing that comes even close to what Tesla offers in this space. Don't get fooled by what MBZ literature says on lane keeping.

You need to ask yourself this question, is anyone using this feature in a MBZ? If not, why?

In the case of Tesla, it is not fluff, but a real feature that most of us use everyday. It reduces fatigue like no other.