Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only initial options: color and wheel size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few customization options and barebones are not synonymous. For example there was a leak stating that larger battery size only at launch. For ease of production, maybe they only have glass roof also.

Looks like bare bones options for the folks able to use the configurator in July. For the rest of use we may see more options with the appropriate difference in delivery time.

For me, camping overnight in a mall was so that I could get as close to a $7500 tax credit as possible.
you could almost think of it as people who get more options might lose out on the full tax credit.
At the same time, those who have a very high chance of getting the full tax credit will be missing out on a few additions.
It all comes down to what you value the most; if the Model 3 offers close to 300mi and autopilot from the get-go, I'm sold.
Many people have had many reasons for standing in line on 3/31. I did. I did it in order to have my Tesla as soon as possible. The problem for me is that "Soon as possible" has been murdered by "won't be available ( P and D )".

Tesla would rather move you to an S. Letting everyone play with 3 options any earlier than necessary would cannibalize S sales.
I would rather move me to an S also, however Tesla isn't willing to help me move my bank account funds to S type payments.

Its amazing to me how many people think its just a matter of a decision to move from a Model 3 to a Model S.

Few customization options and barebones are not synonymous. For example there was a leak stating that larger battery size only at launch. For ease of production, maybe they only have glass roof also.

I agree, I would say that we can bet the initial cars will have the glass roof option. That would explain why all the RCs so far have only had a glass roof.

I would rather move me to an S also, however Tesla isn't willing to help me move my bank account funds to S type payments.

Its amazing to me how many people think its just a matter of a decision to move from a Model 3 to a Model S.

I understand. Not everyone can just spend double on a car if its not appropriate for their circumstances to do so.

Perhaps new S will drop in price some, CPO S might be more appealing to close the gap some.

It's hard to find the balance between not killing S sales and not pissing off prospective 3 owners. But always. bird in hand better than two in the bush.

I understand. Not everyone can just spend double on a car if its not appropriate for their circumstances to do so.

Perhaps new S will drop in price some, CPO S might be more appealing to close the gap some.

It's hard to find the balance between not killing S sales and not pissing off prospective 3 owners. But always. bird in hand better than two in the bush.
Understood.

Unfortunately those are "Teslas" issues. Not customer issues. Although I am amazed and enthralled by Tesla and Elon, I'm not willing to go into uncontrollable debt for either of them.

Tesla would rather move you to an S. Letting everyone play with 3 options any earlier than necessary would cannibalize S sales.

I guess it depends on person, but for me it might make me move to S (in theory). If for example I take M3 with bigger battery, premium sound, AP and some other and it comes to $65k. Suddenly moving to S might be the good choice. But until the M3 design studio keeps hiding, I can't play with the options and decide.

(I'm sure those options wouldn't make it 65k, but just using it as an example)

Part of what will be interesting is what the cost of options will be "relative" to the S and X.

Premium upgrade package cost 3500 on the S and 4500 on the X.

Would it cost 2000 on the 3 to be more in line with the base price of the 3?

Logic might dictate so, but if you actually saw, then yes S sales would take a hit. And that optioned 3 you wanted (with the 2k upgrade) isnt even build-able by Tesla for near term deliver/revenue collection.

It makes every business sense in the world to keep that configurator away for as long as possible.

This concerns me a little, does this mean we won't be able to configure at all if we desire AWD or P versions? Part of me is ok with that because more options might be available later and part of me is concerned about my placement in the queue.

He said the configurator would give you estimates of dates when the additional options will be enabled. So you'll be able to click around and configure a car but you'll have to wait for a later date if you want any grayed out feature.

Reactions: kbM3
So wait - if we configure a bare bones 3 in July, but more features are added after the order is placed but before the car is anywhere near ready for production, can we go back and add whatever additional options come available in the time between configuring and notice that the order is about to enter production (i.e. last chance to cancel)?

You get a week or two (the confirmation will state the period) to modify the order, after that but before the car is built you can change the order for a extra fee (was $500 in the past).

But the configurater for the Model 3 will have estimated dates of features listed so you'll have an idea of when to pull the trigger. Just don't do it until the feature you want is ready.

Reactions: SageBrush
Some of the replies got me thinking:

There is gonna be some contradiction issues going on:

Are first Model 3 going to be

1.) bare bones for earliest delivery

2.) optioned out to maximize revenue and people with who desire to be first are less price elastic.

I would actually support number 2 because more revenue recovery would be good for Tesla. However that won't be a 35k car.

So which is it?

I think that's Tesla's trick here. In the name of "simplifying manufacturing", they'll only initially offer a single, well-equipped configuration (big battery, leather seats, nice roof, etc). That will make the actual base price of the available model close to $50K, with the mythical "$35K" option set supposedly coming soon. Most folks will buy the available car when their reservation comes up, rather than choosing to wait an indeterminate time for the cheaper model. Then Tesa will cite that ordering pattern to demonstrate a "lack of interest" in the less expensive options, and decide to not offer those options at all.

Think it can't happen? That's exactly what happened with the S40.

I doubt Tesla can actually afford to sell M3's (even lightly equipped M3's) for $35K. This is a way to get out of that promise.

I guess it depends on person, but for me it might make me move to S (in theory). If for example I take M3 with bigger battery, premium sound, AP and some other and it comes to $65k. Suddenly moving to S might be the good choice. But until the M3 design studio keeps hiding, I can't play with the options and decide.

(I'm sure those options wouldn't make it 65k, but just using it as an example)

Tesla now has the CPO site live now with $40K Model S's so grab them while they're still there! ;)

Many people have had many reasons for standing in line on 3/31. I did. I did it in order to have my Tesla as soon as possible. The problem for me is that "Soon as possible" has been murdered by "won't be available ( P and D )".
And you will get your car "as soon as possible", its just that other cars that you do not want will come out first. IE, if I could guarantee that you get the first P&D Model 3, would you be happy?

I doubt Tesla can actually afford to sell M3's (even lightly equipped M3's) for $35K. This is a way to get out of that promise.
Ye of little faith! I am not sure what "first production run" means ... will it be the first cars for employees, only? Or the first 50k?

I think that's Tesla's trick here. In the name of "simplifying manufacturing", they'll only initially offer a single, well-equipped configuration (big battery, leather seats, nice roof, etc). That will make the actual base price of the available model close to $50K, with the mythical "$35K" option set supposedly coming soon. Most folks will buy the available car when their reservation comes up, rather than choosing to wait an indeterminate time for the cheaper model. Then Tesa will cite that ordering pattern to demonstrate a "lack of interest" in the less expensive options, and decide to not offer those options at all.

Think it can't happen? That's exactly what happened with the S40.

I do agree that Tesla cannot afford to sell a $35K in the short term. But could easily be $50K+ and you cannot blame Tesla as they need the margin right out of the gate and to give the S a cushion.