Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to @Scifi_tv_fan for the update. I just noticed that there's an extended mileage EVIP for manufacturers that allow cars that have between 2000km and 15000km at the point of sale to qualify! Am I reading this right? This is HUGE, if one get get a Demo car with an additional $14000 off!!! The dealer will need to complete the paper work prior to reaching 2000km on the vehicle, and must maintain logs, hardly difficult to do.

If I Recall Correctly, for Ontario the prior limit was 2000km.

Yes, that is correct...I purchased a 2015 "demo" from Tesla with around 14,000 kms on it...I was excluded from the rebate program because "demos" were only allowed to have a maximum of 2,000 kms on them.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
But then people will just recharge when they get home, during a peak period.

I don't know about this...the average Joe working 9-5, often, in Southern Ontario, wouldn't get home much prior to 7:00 pm...I might be naïve, but for the sake of postponing starting your nightly recharging regime for only an hour or so (to help out with grid stress / get lower cost / etc.)... I think most of us would do the right thing, and set our timers to start in the lower tariff...

I picked my new car up in November. Am I eligible for the new rebate program ?
Should it not be retroactive?

Don't know... I doubt it, but it would be worth checking out...I was denied the rebate on the home charger because my car was denied.

Won't get a retro rebate DF...

**update** ...from the guv document on the EV Society fb page...

"Part of Ontario's Climate Change Action Plan, and in effect as of Jan. 1, 2017, the updated EVIP:"

Last edited:
While we're talking about costs…to heat the battery for half an hour costs me between 50 and 60 cents at the peak rate. To charge at, say, 72 amps for half an hour at the peak rate costs about $1.88. Which is better?

To bring the charge cost down to 50–60 cents, I could charge at 20 amps. Question: does charging at 20 amps for half an hour heat the battery as well for driving purposes as charging at 72 amps? Although no engineer, I don't think the question is as stupid as it may look.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
Fantastic news all around! I'll have to reconsider the cost for a Model S now as I've always been on the edge.
Just to confirm. The new EV rebate program only applies to vehicles delivered from Jan. 1, 2017 and onward.
The MSRP cap of 150k is the base price before options. So all vehicles will be eligible except for P100D

• Informative
Reactions: Blazing Whisper
And for a Tesla it is advantageous in cold winter weather to time the charge to start so that it finishes just before you go to work. That way the battery is still warm.

Isn't this during a peak time?

Exactly. How would you set up the rebate regime? Would the local electrical utility flag all of the owners of EVs and treat them differently? What if that was very difficult to do in the IT system of the local electricity distributor? Who is going to pay for all of the sytems development work required and how many millions is that going to cost?

Several utilities from California to Virginia already offer special rates for EV charging. Usually, a separate meter is required for the EVSE and the discount only applies from say midnight to 5 am.

I hope they don't require a second meter. That would be a huge waste of money. A better approach would be a new rate structure with 4 Time-of-Use rates - the 3 we have now plus a super-off-peak rate of zero from say midnight to 5am. To qualify for this rate structure, you would have to have an EV (as documented by your approved EVIP rebate in most cases).

Point 1 : Re: Free charging

Our house electricity use from 1AM to 5AM was about 250 watts before I got my EV in 2013. Now we average 3kW during that period. Should be pretty easy to detect the charging spike and drop. I think that a third overnight tier for free from 1-5AM would help use up the excess electricity we currently waste as steam or sell for a loss.

Point 2 : Ontario rebates are "forcing" me to trade up to this (est Sept 2017 delivery).
How can I refuse a $13K rebate on a new Smart ED convertible?!?
5893d8c2ac182_Screenshotfrom2017-02-0220-07-39.png.7ba17882d31f55ce308568f0f529fa64.png

Reactions: Jaff and Falkirk
But then people will just recharge when they get home, during a peak period.

That would be a concern. The point of the "free overnight charging" scheme was partly to ensure it really does happen overnight.

Exactly. How would you set up the rebate regime? Would the local electrical utility flag all of the owners of EVs and treat them differently? What if that was very difficult to do in the IT system of the local electricity distributor? Who is going to pay for all of the sytems development work required and how many millions is that going to cost?

Actually, it would not be too hard to set up the necessary billing systems changes. Utilities already did things like this for things like the peaksaverPLUS program. But yes, there would be some costs.

I hope they don't require a second meter. That would be a huge waste of money. A better approach would be a new rate structure with 4 Time-of-Use rates - the 3 we have now plus a super-off-peak rate of zero from say midnight to 5am. To qualify for this rate structure, you would have to have an EV (as documented by your approved EVIP rebate in most cases).

I had put forth this idea (back before I retired) to the Ministry of Energy. The downside is that it would capture other loads besides EVs. For instance, I'd be sure to adjust my electric water heater's timer to fit into this band :)

There is also the issue of still having to pay Delivery and Regulatory charges even though the electricity would be free. (Like getting some product on-line for free,but you still have to pay shipping). Otherwise it gets messy from a regulatory point of view in terms of settling costs.

OK, that is very different than in Quebec where highest demand is from 6 am - 9 am Winter weekdays followed by late afternoon-evening. I forget electric home heating is less prevalent elsewhere.

Ontario's TOU bands are as much "political" as they are "technical". Peak demands often run up to 9:00 PM in the evenings from a technical point of view.

Point 1 : Re: Free charging

Our house electricity use from 1AM to 5AM was about 250 watts before I got my EV in 2013. Now we average 3kW during that period. Should be pretty easy to detect the charging spike and drop. I think that a third overnight tier for free from 1-5AM would help use up the excess electricity we currently waste as steam or sell for a loss.

Point 2 : Ontario rebates are "forcing" me to trade up to this (est Sept 2017 delivery).
How can I refuse a $13K rebate on a new Smart ED convertible?!?
Do you know the sticker price on the new Smart ED? I can't seem to find it online anywhere. It could be an extremely popular car with the $13k rebate!

Do you know the sticker price on the new Smart ED? I can't seem to find it online anywhere. It could be an extremely popular car with the $13k rebate!

$27K for the coupe according to the unofficial word of a local dealer.

My 2013 Smart ED was $26K MSRP. I negotiated $4K off that. Then the $8500 rebate on top. Drive away was $19K!

With $4500 more rebate, drive away on a new 2017 might be a bit less, perhaps only $17K...

The convertible I spec'd out will be at least $5K more than the base coupe including some extra options I'll choose. Ironically I'm hoping to get the backup camera...ha! For such a small car with good visibility it's not required, but I'm a sucker for options.

Last edited: