Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**UPDATE 7**

So Tesla Oakville reached out to me again today. WITH GOOD NEWS!

Tesla Oakville said:
Hi Tony,

Thank you for taking my call. I quickly spoke with one of my colleagues regarding the Ontario EV incentive, and I have been notified that we can confirm your deposit will be refunded for you if the Model 3 doesn’t qualify for the Government incentive. I would still recommend taking screenshots of your order/deposit moving forward, just for reference.

So there you have it. We still don't know WHEN the rebate will be approved but at least our deposits are secure!

**UPDATE 7**

So there you have it. We still don't know WHEN the rebate will be approved but at least our deposits are secure!

Tony i was literally going to message you as soon as my configuration opened up. I noticed that it mentions' Ontario's $14,000 tax rebate in the payment section. If the Ontario gov't decided to get rid of it, then the payment section would have been inaccurate and invalid and so you would have for sure been able to get a refund. It looks like you already got your answer anyways. So if I were you, I'd go ahead and purchase the car you want.

Tony i was literally going to message you as soon as my configuration opened up. I noticed that it mentions' Ontario's $14,000 tax rebate in the payment section. If the Ontario gov't decided to get rid of it, then the payment section would have been inaccurate and invalid and so you would have for sure been able to get a refund. It looks like you already got your answer anyways. So if I were you, I'd go ahead and purchase the car you want.

Well alrighty then, if you say so!

MWBItG4.png

I already ordered our Model 3 before knowing about this issue. I called Tesla today and they confirmed that their application was made to the MTO. I called both the Ministry of Finance and the MTO and got nowhere. I decided to write a letter to my MPP and I am copying it below. I urge everyone to copy and paste (and edit as you see fit) and send it to your MPP’s office. A flood of such requests in a pre-election period might light a fire under the MTO to move things along. Anything we can do as citizens we should do! Here is the text, feel free to copy and paste and send to your elected officials, Thanks!

“Dear INSERT NAME OF YOUR MPP HERE.
We just ordered an Electric Vehicle (a 2018 Tesla Model 3). This is the “cheaper” Tesla built for the masses with a starting price of 45,600$ Canadian. It should arrive in 4 to 8 weeks. It meets all the criteria of eligibility of the MTO for the EV rebate. Yet it does not appear on the list of eligible vehicles on the MTO site. The Manufacturer (Tesla Motors Canada) confirmed that their application for this vehicle’s eligibility has been submitted to the MTO for some time now. Yet when I call both the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Transportation I get no answers as to why it is not on the list. At best, I was told “it should”. I am counting on this rebate to make this investment in a clean energy mode of transportation, just like any other EV purchaser in the Province of Ontario. You may or may not know that the 2018 Tesla Model 3 in question already appears on both the British Columbia and the Quebec list of eligible EV vehicles to receive a rebate. So what is the holdup in Ontario? I would greatly appreciate if you could look into this for me and get back to me as soon a possible.
Thank you, “

Done as well!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Pretty much a canned response. Keep pressuring them for more information! They can't ignore all of us.

They won't ignore you but they will reply with the same information/ wording. Now instead of processing Tesla application, staffs are spending time to reply all the email with the same information. If you make them unhappy, they just walk away from their computer to have a coffee or chat with other people and thing just slows down even more. I dont see how it will help.

**UPDATE 7**

Congrats Tony_YYZ, just got my invite as well and going through this exercise now! Like you and many others, I agree there's a non-zero risk to the Ontario credit and want to make a decision with eyes wide open. Your information is super helpful and very much appreciated.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I have just ordered an Electric Vehicle (a 2018 Tesla Model 3). This is the Tesla built for the masses with a starting price of $45,600 Canadian. It should arrive in 4 to 8 weeks. It meets all the criteria of eligibility of the MTO for the EV rebate. Yet it does not appear on the list of eligible vehicles on the MTO site. The Manufacturer (Tesla Motors Canada) confirmed that their application for this vehicle’s eligibility has been submitted to the MTO for some time now. Yet when I call both the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Transportation I get no answers as to why it is not on the list. At best, I was told “it should”. I am counting on this rebate to make this investment in a clean energy mode of transportation, just like any other EV purchaser in the Province of Ontario. I am very concerned about whether or not the car is considered eligible and would greatly appreciate a response as to when it will be made eligible. Clean energy transportation is an important issue for me, I am committing with my money to drive clean and trust that my government supports this cause.

Premier Wynne is copied as both my MPP and my Premier.Just sent in my request for info to the ministry:

Congrats Tony_YYZ, just got my invite as well and going through this exercise now! Like you and many others, I agree there's a non-zero risk to the Ontario credit and want to make a decision with eyes wide open. Your information is super helpful and very much appreciated.

No problem, I'm glad I could help at least some people.

Welcome to the club!

Thank you! The wait will be killer.

Just got off the phone with a sales rep at Yorkdale to ask about this cancellation policy, she said they cannot guarantee you can cancel the order if you don't qualify for EV incentive. I was expecting them to be more liberal in their approach to allow for order cancellation if June comes and goes, PC wins and scraps EV incentive, and I'm still stuck with an order I can't get EV incentive on. She said basically it's not their problem: whatever happens, you're stuck with the M3. Sucks not knowing, and the June 8 deadline being so close. Also the fact that you have to place an order while you still can't test drive the 3. Too many unknowns. Do you guys think it's worth the risk? What if Tesla doesn't let you cancel an order about to be delivered just on EV incentive cancellation grounds alone?

Just got off the phone with a sales rep at Yorkdale to ask about this cancellation policy, she said they cannot guarantee you can cancel the order if you don't qualify for EV incentive. I was expecting them to be more liberal in their approach to allow for order cancellation if June comes and goes, PC wins and scraps EV incentive, and I'm still stuck with an order I can't get EV incentive on. She said basically it's not their problem: whatever happens, you're stuck with the M3. Sucks not knowing, and the June 8 deadline being so close. Also the fact that you have to place an order while you still can't test drive the 3. Too many unknowns. Do you guys think it's worth the risk? What if Tesla doesn't let you cancel an order about to be delivered just on EV incentive cancellation grounds alone?

You lose your deposit.

I wouldn't count on the incentive until I see it on EV list and I won't trust the promise of refund if no incentive unless it comes from the Tesla Head Office & is mentioned their website.

• Love
Reactions: 03DSG and navguy12
You lose your deposit.

I wouldn't count on the incentive until I see it on EV list and I won't trust the promise of refund if no incentive unless it comes from the Tesla Head Office & is mentioned their website.

I would say there's a case for getting the funds back. They detailed in the ordering page a $14,000 rebate. Therefore if is it was removed you could essentially say they misrepresented the car. I hope it wouldn't have to come to that.

IMO badgering the ministry will accomplish nothing positive. This vehicle will be eligible for the rebate either way, as long as the rules today are the rules when you order.

Disagree. This is straight from the MTO website:

To be eligible for an incentive,
  1. The vehicle must be on the EHVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentive List.
The new rules changed March 9th, so it's been almost three weeks and they haven't added it to the list. I'm not arguing it *should* be trivial for the MTO to add it based on the current rules, but IF for whatever reason they don't officially add it for another three weeks when the first deliveries happen, those owners may not be eligible.

Disagree. This is straight from the MTO website:

To be eligible for an incentive,
  1. The vehicle must be on the EHVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentive List.
The new rules changed March 9th, so it's been almost three weeks and they haven't added it to the list. I'm not arguing it *should* be trivial for the MTO to add it based on the current rules, but IF for whatever reason they don't officially add it for another three weeks when the first deliveries happen, those owners may not be eligible.

Yep, it is a risk. If I was invited and counted on that $14k, I would wait a few weeks to make sure the M3 makes the list. But I wouldn't wait too long cuz of the election coming. It'll be like a tightrope walk.

Over at M3OC, Boshkung17 posted that Dodi Phair from Ministry of Finance wrote in an email:

We are anticipating the incentive being added to the program before individuals are taking ownership of the vehicles.

So it sounds as if the boilerplate has changed, and while Model 3 isn't on the list yet, they expect that to happen before the cars arrive.

I would say there's a case for getting the funds back. They detailed in the ordering page a $14,000 rebate. Therefore if is it was removed you could essentially say they misrepresented the car. I hope it wouldn't have to come to that.
I have no legal training.

I would seek legal advice on this issue.

Wanting this to happen doesn’t equal it will happen, based on a judgement in an Ontario court.

Notwithstanding all the verbal and email messages to the contrary, until Tesla headquarters, on Tesla HQ letterhead says so, it isn't so.