Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already ordered our Model 3 before knowing about this issue. I called Tesla today and they confirmed that their application was made to the MTO. I called both the Ministry of Finance and the MTO and got nowhere. I decided to write a letter to my MPP and I am copying it below. I urge everyone to copy and paste (and edit as you see fit) and send it to your MPP’s office. A flood of such requests in a pre-election period might light a fire under the MTO to move things along. Anything we can do as citizens we should do! Here is the text, feel free to copy and paste and send to your elected officials, Thanks!

“Dear INSERT NAME OF YOUR MPP HERE.
We just ordered an Electric Vehicle (a 2018 Tesla Model 3). This is the “cheaper” Tesla built for the masses with a starting price of 45,600$ Canadian. It should arrive in 4 to 8 weeks. It meets all the criteria of eligibility of the MTO for the EV rebate. Yet it does not appear on the list of eligible vehicles on the MTO site. The Manufacturer (Tesla Motors Canada) confirmed that their application for this vehicle’s eligibility has been submitted to the MTO for some time now. Yet when I call both the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Transportation I get no answers as to why it is not on the list. At best, I was told “it should”. I am counting on this rebate to make this investment in a clean energy mode of transportation, just like any other EV purchaser in the Province of Ontario. You may or may not know that the 2018 Tesla Model 3 in question already appears on both the British Columbia and the Quebec list of eligible EV vehicles to receive a rebate. So what is the holdup in Ontario? I would greatly appreciate if you could look into this for me and get back to me as soon a possible.
Thank you, “

Done

**UPDATE 4**

I received a response from the EVIP department but again it was just a canned response for the most part.

Good Morning Tony,

Thanks for your inquiry. Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process, and once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive is updated on the EHVIP website at Eligible Electric Vehicles

I responded again just now asking for any approximate timelines they can provide as many people are left in the dark right now. I mentioned again that QC and BC have updated their lists already.

**UPDATE 4**

I received a response from the EVIP department but again it was just a canned response for the most part.

I responded again just now asking for any approximate timelines they can provide as many people are left in the dark right now. I mentioned again that QC and BC have updated their lists already.

I think this is good. Now we know that they have received the application, and are processing it.

I'm guessing that they probably update the EHVIP list once a month, so we should expect to see the Model 3 in that list next month.

I sometimes wonder if it is the optics of the thing, since the election is coming up. Tesla is branded in many people’s minds as a “luxury” brand. So, even though the cost of the Model 3 falls below that of many of those gas guzzling, fully loaded trucks with their beautiful covers to prevent any leaves from desecrating the pristine beauty of the cargo area, the name Tesla compares unfavourably with the likes of Ford, GMC, and Ram.:eek:

• Love
Reactions: navguy12
I sometimes wonder if it is the optics of the thing, since the election is coming up. Tesla is branded in many people’s minds as a “luxury” brand. So, even though the cost of the Model 3 falls below that of many of those gas guzzling, fully loaded trucks with their beautiful covers to prevent any leaves from desecrating the pristine beauty of the cargo area, the name Tesla compares unfavourably with the likes of Ford, GMC, and Ram.:eek:

I honestly believe it is more to do with bureaucratic feet dragging than anything else.

Done also here - thanks @Doctor X .

I adjusted the content as I have not received an invite yet - but I support the cause! Note the standout comment about it being an election issue.

Dear Ms. Wynne,

I have reserved an Electric Vehicle (a 2018 Tesla Model 3). This is the “cheaper” Tesla built for the masses with a starting price of 45,600$ Canadian. It meets all the criteria of eligibility of the MTO for the EV rebate updated March 9th. Yet it does not appear on the list of eligible vehicles on the MTO site.

The Manufacturer (Tesla Motors Canada) confirmed that their application for this vehicle’s eligibility has been submitted to the MTO for some time now. I am counting on this rebate to make this investment in a clean energy mode of transportation, just like any other EV purchaser in the Province of Ontario. The 2018 Tesla Model 3 in question already appears on both the British Columbia and the Quebec lists of eligible EV vehicles to receive a rebate.

Doing our part to help reduce GHGs (environment) is a top election issue for me.

I would greatly appreciate if you could look into this as soon a possible.

Thank you,
<name>

I already ordered our Model 3 before knowing about this issue. I called Tesla today and they confirmed that their application was made to the MTO. I called both the Ministry of Finance and the MTO and got nowhere. I decided to write a letter to my MPP and I am copying it below. I urge everyone to copy and paste (and edit as you see fit) and send it to your MPP’s office. A flood of such requests in a pre-election period might light a fire under the MTO to move things along. Anything we can do as citizens we should do! Here is the text, feel free to copy and paste and send to your elected officials, Thanks!

“Dear INSERT NAME OF YOUR MPP HERE.
We just ordered an Electric Vehicle (a 2018 Tesla Model 3). This is the “cheaper” Tesla built for the masses with a starting price of 45,600$ Canadian. It should arrive in 4 to 8 weeks. It meets all the criteria of eligibility of the MTO for the EV rebate. Yet it does not appear on the list of eligible vehicles on the MTO site. The Manufacturer (Tesla Motors Canada) confirmed that their application for this vehicle’s eligibility has been submitted to the MTO for some time now. Yet when I call both the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Transportation I get no answers as to why it is not on the list. At best, I was told “it should”. I am counting on this rebate to make this investment in a clean energy mode of transportation, just like any other EV purchaser in the Province of Ontario. You may or may not know that the 2018 Tesla Model 3 in question already appears on both the British Columbia and the Quebec list of eligible EV vehicles to receive a rebate. So what is the holdup in Ontario? I would greatly appreciate if you could look into this for me and get back to me as soon a possible.
Thank you, “

Reactions: Doctor X and 03DSG
I think that if the intent had been to block the Model 3 for its Tesla-ness, they would have found a way to do so - perhaps by setting the price cap at just below the base price for the car.

I agree, this is just beaucracy perhaps coupled with unfortunate timing - I wonder if Tesla applied just before the program change and therefore had its application reset.

I applaud all of you for keeping the pressure up on our elected officials. The more pressure the better. They HAVE to listen to the voters. Keep it up. Love the add on from jkirkwood001. Well said! Let’s make it an election issue. That will make them move.

MPP Reply to my email:

"We have received your email and have sent this question to our liaison at the ministry of transportation. I will let you know the answer as soon as they reply to us. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Have a great day."

• Helpful
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Reply from MPP’s office received today:

Good morning,
This will acknowledge receipt of your email regarding your purchase of an Electric Vehicle. We will be pleased to look into your request and will get back to you as soon as we receive a response.
Regards,
Constituency EA
MPP Mike Colle

Let’s keep up the pressure guys and girls!

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
**UPDATE 4**

**UPDATE 6**

I just received another reply to my last followup to the EVIP dept.

I had responded originally with:
tony_yyz said:
Thank you for getting back to me. Tesla has confirmed to me that they had submitted their application some time ago. Can you please let me know where it stands and an approximate time for the review to be completed?

It's not very convenient for myself and the many other people that want to get their orders in to keep refreshing the eligible vehicles list every day and hoping for the best. Especially since BC and QC have already updated their lists for the respective programs. Tesla confirmed that they applied to all of the programs at around the same time.

They just responded with:

EVIP Dept said:
Hi Tony,

As per program requirements, the applicant has 3 months from the date of the vehicle registration to apply for the incentive. I would encourage you to keep checking the site for updates.

Eligible Electric Vehicles

I just responded with:

tony_yyz said:
I understand the requirements procedures. I am trying to inquire where the application stands right now. Is it a matter of days until it is processed fully? Weeks?

Unfortunately checking the site over and over again does not provide any answers that are required. Myself and many others are looking for some transparency in the matter. Tesla has already applied for the program some time ago, we need to know where the Model 3 approval stands right now.

Thank you.

Added another response set

EVIP Dept said:
Tony,

Unfortunately , I do not have this information at this time.

tony_yyz said:
Is there another person I can contact who will be able to answer my inquiries?

Thank you.

Last edited: