Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very excited and placed the order for AWD yesterday. The rebate for AWD is uncertain but what about the incentive for $1500 home charger installation? Can I get an electrician to install the garage charger now and submit the rebate application? How should this exactly work?

Thanks!

I tried contacting TESLA yesterday afternoon and the message said they were experiencing high call volumes due to having released reservations and to try back in a few days...click! No ability to hold. This was with a few hours left in their day so not a last minute call by any means.

You have to consider that most car manufacturers have model years that change on an annual basis (with some exceptions) so the list tends to follow that. It's not like they keep republishing the list every week if someone releases a new EV. Even if they certified the AWD, that doesn't mean it would make it on the approved list for quite some time.

I don't mean to be negative but I think it would be a miracle at this point to be getting an EHVIP rebate on an AWD M3 this year. What you might hope for is that the feds step in quickly if Ford cuts the program but the worry there (for myself as well) is that you would fall in between those 2 events and still not be eligible for anything. I doubt any federal incentive is going to be retroactive but ideally it would be to the point in time the EHVIP program ended for example. That's a lot of if's though.

What I did on my M3 LR RWD order was a little obtuse...to hedge my bets on the possibility of not getting the rebate, given no announcement from Ford yesterday, I removed EAP and FSD from my order (after they wouldn't take my call to talk to them about it). I am also in the camp of those that can't justify buying a 2018 EV without an incentive but this is my work around if the rebate isn't available to me (typical Sept 18 - Nov 18 delivery estimate). Then if it's looking solid that I would get the rebate after an announcement of some sort, I would add those features back in - if there was no penalty to do so (well ahead of delivery).

You might argue that if I can afford those features with a rebate, I should be getting no rebate and affording what I can - a M3 without those features. FSD I would agree on but EAP is kinda silly to not have - given you've bought a car with the hardware capabilities. I had already set my budget (65k) and that's what drives my decisions. If this doesn't work out for me, I'd also consider selling the order and buying an ICE.

Tesla has created some strange scenarios for people having released reservations + making today the last day to order and receive free premium internet and at a time when there are fluctuations in incentive programs. It's no wonder their lines were clogged up.

What I also wanted to ask them was if the 2 features would have any effect on my delivery date. You would think they would as that's pure profit. If I knew that and also knew the rebate program was ending the end of October, then I'd definitely add them back in for example.

Hopefully Ford makes an announcement soon and has some leniency with how the EHVIP program is phased out.

I also see this message in another thread mostly addresses the question or at least all we're going to find out from EHVIP folks:

Hi everyone, I emailed evip yesterday and got this quick reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. There is a longstanding protocol in Ontario that after the election concludes and prior to formal swearing in of the new government, the business of government continues in the role of caretaker role. We will be pleased to follow up with you at a later time.

The vehicles are approved for the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle (EHVIP) eligibility list are based on applications the Ministry receives from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) such as Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford etc. I would encourage you to consult our website for any updates.

Thank you once again for your interest in Ontario’s Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program.

Jackie
EHVIP Team

Very excited and placed the order for AWD yesterday. The rebate for AWD is uncertain but what about the incentive for $1500 home charger installation? Can I get an electrician to install the garage charger now and submit the rebate application? How should this exactly work?

Thanks!

To submit the charger rebate, you need to have your EV registered and plated, so that won’t work. You can have it installed, I believe, 90 days in advance, but the rebate will still have to wait.

I wouldn't let the July 1 deadline for premium internet play too big a role in my decision making given the costs involved but I can only presume they threw that in as a motivator. Or, rather took it away but it was inevitable at some point.

While it wasn't the path I took (I jumped on my invite immediately and without knowing any of the details), I think it would also be a valid choice to wait it out a few weeks till the full details of the lifespan of the EHVIP program become known. I'd hate to see anyone get trapped in a void between 2 programs - ending of EHVIP and start of something at the federal level for example.

In Concert with a T4 Earnings Statement, or a T1 Tax Return, it might have been meaningful, if, for example, Very High Incomes were actually Measured, as to the Rebate, and if a High Income ... No Rebates, if just adding another car to the Stables, but a Small Rebate if Trading off your ICE Car, but a Bigger one if you actually Scrapped it out. Point Being - to ensure the ICE Car was Replaced, by the EV Car.

We're probably just talking hypotheticals here, after all... but again why does income matter in a program that is designed to sway a buying decision from an ICE to an EV. Who cares if it is a multi-millionaire who decides to buy an EV instead of an ICE because of the incentive? The result is one fewer ICE and one more EV on the road, which is what the program was supposed to be all about. I get there are optics at play here, but if we design a program around political optics rather than hard facts, we might as well scrap the whole idea anyway because we water down the effectiveness of it away.

All of this has been discussed ad nauseum in the Canada sub forum. @Amandeep has been bombarding the same post all over these forums and not reading the extensive existing discussions on the subject.

If the Libs were still in power in ON, then of course the rebate program that THEY designed would continue to operate and AWD would go through the qualifying steps and eventually appear on the eligibility list. No one is debating that. The problem as you are hopefully aware is the new PC government sworn into power just yesterday and their stated mandate to dismantle programs designed to fund the rebates. They’ve already begun executing this agenda by canceling the GreenON incentives. Similatly, the EV incentives aren’t likely to survive much longer.

What make you say that I am not reading?
I haven't got the right answers and that's why i am asking?

Don't hold your breath on a Federal rebate program. Most Provinces are buying into the Carbon Tax and will likely create their own rebate programs eventually. No real incentive for the Feds to do so except to buy votes in Upper Canada. Carbon Tax gets spent on the rebates, right now there's no Federal carbon tax, and even if the Feds win the eventual court battle and impose one in ON, they said they'd be turning the cash over to the province to decide how to squander the cash.
That being said, The great shirtless selfy slimy one also said...
"This will be the last first past the post election!" among other quotable quotes.
So he's about as reliable and honest as all the other Liberals over the past 55 years that I've been lucky live through. Whoops, was that a Political statement, probably a rule about that somewhere.

Besides, if they actually gave a damn, they'd have scrapped the HST on EV purchases YEARS ago, as they have in many countries around the world. They have no problem continuing with their Gas Guzzler Excise tax which was introduced at the same time as they had a rebate on super efficient vehicles (bought my smart car a month too early). They stopped handing it out to the fuel efficient cars but kept collecting it on the guzzlers, which (boys and girls) is how anything introduced as "revenue neutral", rapidly becomes a tax. Wonder why nobody trusts politicians.

The answer is "it's complicated". The more you learn about the program and the mechanisms that drive it, the more confidence you will have that the future will unfold as you imagine. But there are no guarantees. We are at the mercy of the new party that is now in power and all their communication to date has been a little vague in respect to how they are actually going to execute their promise of ending cap and trade. They are very committed to ending it but a little short on an actual plan.

For more info, here's a star article.

Hopefully there will be pressure to bear that will have some impact and perhaps soften the blow or delay it somehow. For example, here's another article on Ontario’s first Green Party MPP, Mike Schreiner and his thoughts on Ford's plan.