Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EHVIP program does state they have the right to end it at any time. So there are no guarantees but when the consistent message from fordnation is "We are going to ensure an orderly wind-down of these programs that will include honouring all contracts as of June 29.", I take "contracts" to mean purchase agreements as that's the specific context in which I asked the question and I take "orderly wind-down" when used in conjunction with that as very promising but not guaranteed news.

The EHVIP program hasn't technically been cancelled, just that you can no longer qualify after June 29th and it's now in a state of being wound down. I realize that's effectively cancelled but there is a difference.

My guess is that they will process rebates till the end of the year for anyone that has a binding purchase agreement as of June 29.

/edit - presuming the funds that were allocated to this program don't run out prior which from other statements here would seem unlikely but possibly be knocking on the door given the floodgates were opened.
Agreed, I am just skeptical of the June 29th date as I doubt they would retroactively modify the program without announcement. What happens to the dealships that sold/will sell cars since June 29th with the rebate included in purchase price?

Right, one you gave your 3.5k depisit, that is a contract. The original $1k is 100% refundable and I don't think there is obligation on either party to complete delivery of a car
I agree with many of you stating that a "purchase agreement is a contract".

If I may push back a little in this regard though.

This is a different organization (the government). So what leads us to be so sure that they are talking about "contracts" associated with an entirely different entity (the dealerships).. vs "Contracts" in the sense of commitments made by the government (like an actually submitted and processed application to the MOF).

As we all know, this program has a built in clause that "this program may be changed or cancelled at any time without notice". So even if we had a Liberal government, there was always a risk of losing the rebate as we most definitely have opened the floodgates with the Model 3. (due to the money running out from so many deliveries).

I would like to believe that our new government will honour submitted applications before a specified date (currently presumed to be June 29th), but am not so sure if they specifically mean "you purchased your vehicle before the cut-off date, so your good". An example would be for those people who just got the invite on June 27th and placed their order... but won't get it for 3-5 months. Then they submit their application, and wait another 2-3 months for it to be processed.

Someone did mention the fact that some dealerships (not all, but some), do apply the rebate to the price of the vehicle before hand, then apply that same day to the MOF. I feel like this may enhance the reasoning behind my "hope" that the government is talking about "Contracts" in terms of "Submitted applications", and not just "purchase agreements made before the cut-off date" (which is currently being interpreted as June 29th).

Thoughts?

Wonder if Tesla submitted the "OEM Vehicle Eligibility Submission Form for each model year and each trim level." for M3 AWD... It would suck if Tesla hasn't submitted it yet and it's not eligible for the rebate even if you ordered on June 27th.

I'd be willing to bet, that by contracts they mean contracts to purchase a vehicle.

They will have to provide a wind down period, otherwise they will have dealerships fighting them too. Just imagine people who bought a car from a dealer who gave them the 14k discount on the spot and claimed the 14k on their behalf. That's a lot of money the dealership would be missing.

Yes, dealership, Hmmm they are the one that may fight for the rebate.

Again, my point is why would you update voter with this thing. You give them notice the rebate will be cancelled on such and such date, you have to submit by such and such date. Everyone is happy.

The money you spend is already allocated and paid for by the program. Really, I don't think you can spend those money elsewhere.

They mentioned that some program may be re visited, but on a case by case basis, but funding will come from general revenue.

Wonder if Tesla submitted the "OEM Vehicle Eligibility Submission Form for each model year and each trim level." for M3 AWD... It would suck if Tesla hasn't submitted it yet and it's not eligible for the rebate even if you ordered on June 27th.

The AWD config has never been eligible for the rebate. It’s not on the eligible list and likely won’t be added.
Eligible Electric Vehicles

So, it doesn’t matter if you ordered AWD on June 27 or July 3 - you won’t qualify for the rebate.

I agree with many of you stating that a "purchase agreement is a contract".

If I may push back a little in this regard though.

This is a different organization (the government). So what leads us to be so sure that they are talking about "contracts" associated with an entirely different entity (the dealerships).. vs "Contracts" in the sense of commitments made by the government (like an actually submitted and processed application to the MOF).

As we all know, this program has a built in clause that "this program may be changed or cancelled at any time without notice". So even if we had a Liberal government, there was always a risk of losing the rebate as we most definitely have opened the floodgates with the Model 3. (due to the money running out from so many deliveries).

I would like to believe that our new government will honour submitted applications before a specified date (currently presumed to be June 29th), but am not so sure if they specifically mean "you purchased your vehicle before the cut-off date, so your good". An example would be for those people who just got the invite on June 27th and placed their order... but won't get it for 3-5 months. Then they submit their application, and wait another 2-3 months for it to be processed.

Someone did mention the fact that some dealerships (not all, but some), do apply the rebate to the price of the vehicle before hand, then apply that same day to the MOF. I feel like this may enhance the reasoning behind my "hope" that the government is talking about "Contracts" in terms of "Submitted applications", and not just "purchase agreements made before the cut-off date" (which is currently being interpreted as June 29th).

Thoughts?

He said contracts before June 29th will be honored.
This purchase agreement, IS a contract.

When you say not “just a purchase agreement”. A purchase agreement is a contract. ...

When you say not “just a purchase agreement”. A purchase agreement is a contract. ...

Technically it may not have been Ford himself but instead social media PR so there's always potential for it going sideways but I have some increased confidence after today that if you ordered (entered into an electronically legally binding purchase/contract) a qualifying Long Range + RWD Model 3 on or before June 29th you are probably good.

The date mentioned was "as of June 29" which I take to mean as of June 29th inclusive. As has been mentioned already, he didn't take power till 11a on the 29th so it would be difficult to determine the time of day that your purchase occurred therefore the 29th gets included.

Also, I don't think there are any 2018 EV's left with other dealerships, are there? If so this only applies to Tesla.

I don't think they are going to alter the internal mechanisms of the program and just allow AWD models to participate. That was a process of certification all manufacturers had to go through for every model/MSRP they wanted to qualify. There may not even be the same staff levels present to complete that task now.

I wonder what the cost of adding AWD after purchase would be?

Technically it may not have been Ford himself but instead social media PR so there's always potential for it going sideways but I have some increased confidence after today that if you ordered (entered into an electronically legally binding purchase/contract) a qualifying Long Range + RWD Model 3 on or before June 29th you are probably good.

The date mentioned was "as of June 29" which I take to mean as of June 29th inclusive. As has been mentioned already, he didn't take power till 11a on the 29th so it would be difficult to determine the time of day that your purchase occurred therefore the 29th gets included.

Also, I don't think there are any 2018 EV's left with other dealerships, are there? If so this only applies to Tesla.

I don't think they are going to alter the internal mechanisms of the program and just allow AWD models to participate. That was a process of certification all manufacturers had to go through for every model/MSRP they wanted to qualify. There may not even be the same staff levels present to complete that task now.

It is $69,400 for Model 3 AWD with long range battery

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala

The Tesla salesman tell me you cannot add AWD to RWD after the fact. btw, he also mentioned that if I change to AWD, I basically loss the deposit (I doubt that).

In any case, RWD should be fine in the winter.

The Tesla salesman tell me you cannot add AWD to RWD after the fact. btw, he also mentioned that if I change to AWD, I basically loss the deposit (I doubt that).

In any case, RWD should be fine in the winter.

Interesting...though I'd want to qualify that maybe higher up. I'm concerned that salesperson didn't know what they were talking about.

I know the battery terminals for a 2nd motor are on all M3 batteries so you'd think it would be fairly easy to do unless it's just that Tesla won't allow it given they have control over the parts supply and modifying the software.

I thought I was able to edit my design yesterday and that included selecting AWD and Performance in which case you'd still be going off the same order/down payment just that it's date would change if you selected something different.

I've also heard you can "probably" talk to sales and if you wanted an S or X, (new or used) they would apply your M3 deposit towards it though again, I wouldn't take the word of sales for gospel on that either.

I'm kind of looking forward to RWD in the winter with R2's :)

It is $69,400 for Model 3 AWD with long range battery

Yes, I don't think anyone is arguing that the price is well within the rules of the rebate program. It's also "just" another motor and otherwise the same vehicle.

If it were me, I'd allow it but I'm just trying to imagine how this would play out at a bureaucratic level and my hopes for you then dwindle.

I hope I'm wrong though and that you are allowed the rebate!

Agreed. that's why my first sentence was ""I agree with many of you stating that a "purchase agreement is a contract""

However the purchase agreement is with another entity (the dealership), not with the government.

So there is a possibility that the purchase agreement "contract" is not what the government is talking about, rather they may be talking about a submitted application to the EVIP as the "Contract". At least my hope is that's what they are talking about. (there's that "hope" word again...)