Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice of Tesla to open up the floodgate Wednesday evening June 27 (that is when I get the first notice). Of course, they do that for their own benefit, but I would think they also know about the Sworn in on June 29. They may know if they get an order from Ontarian, they may get the rebate.

June 29 is and was an important day IMHO. Technically, they have no legal authority to change/add anything before they sworn in.

Adding the free premium connectivity if you order before July 1, there is enough reason for me to pull the trigger on June 28. Got the email confirmation.

To most people, an order for a car is a contract. Those that order a Bolt, which may take a year to deliver, may qualify if they place an order before June 29.

Of course, we will know more later; but I would think what we assume make sense and avoid lots of legal issues.

May be we just luck out !!!

We did. Unfortunately the only way we can clean up Ontario's debt and overspending is to vote out the spend happy liberals that put this rebate in place. You have to take the good with the bad.
Looks like Ford will be cancelling all green plans funded by cap and trade. Although the article didn't mention EV's, it did mention that orders in place before the law changes will be grandfathered. Makes sense

There's a lot of speculation about what will happen, but the truth is, we just don't know for sure.

I created a poll to gauge what the majority on this forum think will happen.

What's your vote?

POLL preview:

2018-07-03 18_20_51-POLL_ Future of Ontario EHVIP Rebate_ _ Tesla Motors Club.png

this rebate can be cancelled without notice, that is, they don't need to cancel the program to cancel the rebate.

As far as Ford is concerned, he fulfills his pledge. The cap and trade is cancelled. The rebate will be wind down orderly. Those that vote for him cannot complain and say the rebate should be cancelled right away as well.

So PC provides a date when the contracts would be honored, then provide a reasonable deadline to submit the application, and it is done.

Don't be surprised if the final figure is over $130 millions. I think it would be difficult to those who apply that meet the criteria and was told "We are sorry, you are 10001 (assuming a full $14K), and you won't get it."

How come i'm 10001, I submit it a week earlier than that guy, and he is much later than me.

They will spend billion fighting this cap and trade with Federal government, a $1 million over won't matter.

Of course, I'm biased.

I called the Ministry of Finance a few hours ago. They said that the EVIP has not been cancelled. The June 29th thing is for the Green Ontario program.

I clarified with her in many different ways and she kept saying the same thing... (I even mentioned the message posted earlier in this thread)

idk if she is just behind on the info or what.. but she did tell me that they are now working on inputting applications from early June into their registry system (not paying out the money... just putting the applications into their system). She did also tell me that they have recently seen a massive surge in applications (she mentioned well over 1000!)

I submitted my application on May 24th (the day I picked up my Model 3) and was told I may see the rebate in August.

I was worried at the wording from that message about "Contracts". I was/ am not entirely confident that a submitted "application" is considered a "Contract". So from my perspective, even if she is not up to date on her info and the cut-off is in fact June 29th... what makes us think that our submitted applications are considered "Contracts" and not just "Applications" like they are.

Another thing is people are saying that so long as you have an order with Tesla (or any other manufacturer for that matter) before June 29th... that you are somehow "safe"... I challenge that position by going back to the wording in the posted message.. "Contracts" is their wording... not "so long as you purchased the vehicle before June 29th"... no.. they said "Contracts". I would take this as (Hopefully).. at least submitted applications before June 29th. But I don't necessarily believe they meant "Contracts" as "Purchase agreements with the manufacturer" (hopefully i'm wrong though).

I would love to be confident here and join the happy go lucky bandwagon of "you bought your car before June 29th... your safe".. but.. truth is.. we don't know 100%.

I hope my pessimism is misguided... i really do. But just posting my own perspective from both speaking with the MOF and from reading that message posted above.

As you can see, I say "hopefully" and "Hope" quite a bit, because that's where I believe we are at right now.

*SIDE NOTE*
I am sure there will be people who disagree with me. But if I may ask that if you are going to hit the "disagree" button... please clarify your reasoning behind it so I may be enlightened as to why.

These are my thoughts at this time and I am open to changing my perspective so long as there is some concrete evidence somewhere pointing to the contrary.

Thank you for reading this post in its entirety.

I called the Ministry of Finance a few hours ago. They said that the EVIP has not been cancelled. The June 29th thing is for the Green Ontario program.

I clarified with her in many different ways and she kept saying the same thing... (I even mentioned the message posted earlier in this thread)

idk if she is just behind on the info or what.. but she did tell me that they are now working on inputting applications from early June into their registry system (not paying out the money... just putting the applications into their system). She did also tell me that they have recently seen a massive surge in applications (she mentioned well over 1000!)

I submitted my application on May 24th (the day I picked up my Model 3) and was told I may see the rebate in August.

I was worried at the wording from that message about "Contracts". I was/ am not entirely confident that a submitted "application" is considered a "Contract". So from my perspective, even if she is not up to date on her info and the cut-off is in fact June 29th... what makes us think that our submitted applications are considered "Contracts" and not just "Applications" like they are.

Another thing is people are saying that so long as you have an order with Tesla (or any other manufacturer for that matter) before June 29th... that you are somehow "safe"... I challenge that position by going back to the wording in the posted message.. "Contracts" is their wording... not "so long as you purchased the vehicle before June 29th"... no.. they said "Contracts". I would take this as (Hopefully).. at least submitted applications before June 29th. But I don't necessarily believe they meant "Contracts" as "Purchase agreements with the manufacturer" (hopefully i'm wrong though).

I would love to be confident here and join the happy go lucky bandwagon of "you bought your car before June 29th... your safe".. but.. truth is.. we don't know 100%.

I hope my pessimism is misguided... i really do. But just posting my own perspective from both speaking with the MOF and from reading that message posted above.

As you can see, I say "hopefully" and "Hope" quite a bit, because that's where I believe we are at right now.

*SIDE NOTE*
I am sure there will be people who disagree with me. But if I may ask that if you are going to hit the "disagree" button... please clarify your reasoning behind it so I may be enlightened as to why.

These are my thoughts at this time and I am open to changing my perspective so long as there is some concrete evidence somewhere pointing to the contrary.

Doug Ford said today in his announcement for cancelling cap and trade that they will honour existing contracts for initiatives funded by the program. If you look at the phase out of the Green Ontario program, they gave a cut off date for new orders, and a deadline to perform the purchase/work and submit application. My guess is that EHVIP will follow similar protocol, but I am skeptical that the June 29th cuttoff is real since no announcement about the cancellation of the EHVIP program has been made. To me the cutoff date should at least be July 3rd, or a future announced date. One of the articles posted in the news today mentioned a comment from MTO saying plans to cancel EHVIP have not been finalized yet. To me that indicates it is still in effect and the cutoff date has not passed.

Might be a case of a confused PR employee working the social media and telling everyone about the June 29th date...

My two cents, and it's just my opinion:

- I think they will almost certainly kill the incentive with a cutoff date and that date will relate to the completed purchase date, not the date of any deposits paid, otherwise they'd be left with potentially years of claims to still settle at some point in the future.

- I now don't expect to get the incentive that I applied for 1st June - to me it's just one of those things that happens in a democracy. If I do still get it, it will be a bonus.

*SIDE NOTE*

I'd be willing to bet, that by contracts they mean contracts to purchase a vehicle.

They will have to provide a wind down period, otherwise they will have dealerships fighting them too. Just imagine people who bought a car from a dealer who gave them the 14k discount on the spot and claimed the 14k on their behalf. That's a lot of money the dealership would be missing.

I'd be willing to bet, that by contracts they mean contracts to purchase a vehicle.

They will have to provide a wind down period, otherwise they will have dealerships fighting them too. Just imagine people who bought a car from a dealer who gave them the 14k discount on the spot and claimed the 14k on their behalf. That's a lot of money the dealership would be missing.
The order deposit for the M3 came with an agreement to purchase and is non refundable. To me that is an order contract.

The EHVIP program does state they have the right to end it at any time. So there are no guarantees but when the consistent message from fordnation is "We are going to ensure an orderly wind-down of these programs that will include honouring all contracts as of June 29.", I take "contracts" to mean purchase agreements as that's the specific context in which I asked the question and I take "orderly wind-down" when used in conjunction with that as very promising but not guaranteed news.

The EHVIP program hasn't technically been cancelled, just that you can no longer qualify after June 29th and it's now in a state of being wound down. I realize that's effectively cancelled but there is a difference.

My guess is that they will process rebates till the end of the year for anyone that has a binding purchase agreement as of June 29.

/edit - presuming the funds that were allocated to this program don't run out prior which from other statements here would seem unlikely but possibly be knocking on the door given the floodgates were opened.