Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That language is pretty clear.
Either (i) you have taken delivery and the car is registered or plated on or before July 11; OR (ii) the car is sitting on the dealer's lot or the dealership has placed the order with the manuf. AND you have taken delivery of the car and it is registered / plated by Sept. 10. Even if there is some opportunity for ambiguity because Tesla is the manufacturer (there is no dealer) one would also need to take delivery by Sept 10.

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.

• Informative
Reactions: adaptabl and Canuck
Most of us who ordered around the June 27th date (when reservations were opened up) are still SOL since the 3-5 month delivery time frame will not meet the Sep 10 deadline.

Tesla changed my expected timelines of 4 - 8 weeks to 3 - 5 months even though I ordered on June 23rd and had a reservation. Not sure if anyone else ordered before the floodgates opened and had their date change as well?

I think it would be wise to take a collective deep breath and see over the next week or so what feedback might be gleaned from Tesla. I realize they are trying to make the US customers happy now before the end of the year but that's a tax break of 7500 that then get's dropped in half? So the net loss if anyone was affected by re-routing a couple weeks production at most wouldn't be that much whereas for people here it's 14k.

So from that perspective, I'm hoping Elon tries his best to divert some production up here to kill this concept of rebates off once and for all till there's a more encompassing federal program perhaps.

Problem with that is Trudeau will soon be into re-election mode, I'll bet many of his upcoming decisions will be with that in mind and he already has some baggage he's accumulated. I'm not as sure as I once was that there will be federal EV incentives in lieu of Fordenstein's actions.

Reactions: sitter_k
I wish it was that easy, but Tesla will cater to the USA market first and help them get their tax credit before they help us in Ontario get our rebate.

No one said it would be easy. We’re all just hoping.

The part about dealers who placed an order before today will not apply to us; Tesla is a manufacture, not a dealer. Either cancel your orders, or pony up the dough. ALL HOPE FOR THE 14K IS LOST.

The spirit of the clause in question speaks to orders for the car from the manufacturer placed by July 11. Whether the order was placed by a dealer or you or I is the question that needs answering. I don’t think “ALL HOPE” is lost, yet. Canceling your order at this point may or may not get you a full refund.

I'm by no means any more knowledgeable about this than anyone else but I'd be surprised if refunds were allowed. If one person gets one then you'd think Tesla would have to give one to everyone that asked that was in this situation.

For those caught right now, for the Feds to introduce something and then back date it to cover us...well, we can always hope but it would really be a double whammy to not only lose out on the 14k but to have to take your order when it comes in this year only to find out a federal program starts up on Jan 1 and isn't retroactive. ouch

We need Elon to expedite. I think that has the highest odds.

No one said it would be easy. We’re all just hoping.

The spirit of the clause in question speaks to orders for the car from the manufacturer placed by July 11. Whether the order was placed by a dealer or you or I is the question that needs answering. I don’t think “ALL HOPE” is lost, yet. Canceling your order at this point may or may not get you a full refund.

All Hope IS lot. Tesla is a Manufacturer. Not a dealer. It was worded this way to EXCLUDE Tesla. Even if you get your car tomorrow. It's not fast enough. Gotta get it before 11:59pm.

Dealers are like the store, manufacturers are where the "store" get their inventory. Tesla doesn't use Dealers. You buy direct from the manufacturer. So unless YOU are a dealer (which you're not, you're a consumer) it doesn't count. This isn't some small technicality that just happened to screw us up. It was intentional, so they they wouldn't have to pay out all these model 3 deliveries. Sorry friend. Better cancel your order (and lose the deposit), or go get a bigger loan.

Reactions: adaptabl