Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with Ministry of Finance. They said that as long as you have order with Tesla before/on July 11 and that the vehicle is delivered and plated before September 10, they will qualify the rebate.

Pressure is on Tesla now.

I called and got the same answer. You have to have ordered and installed the charger before July 11th too to get both of those rebates.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
It may have been an older thread but I would expect there are a few differences nonetheless. American models aren't even on the government list that decides what can be imported or not IIRC. Again, might be older news and it's changed since then but point is that any existing product if not qualifying for any reason would be an issue.

We certainly still require more clarification and I believe sending emails to the Ministers / MPPs is a good thing. You likely won't get additional information unless there is a surge of citizens asking for it.

Another thing that still is vague is the eligibility list still is not updated.
I realize virtually everyone believes nothing new would be added but it is interesting it still shows March 9 rather than a final July 10 date:
EHVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentive List
Effective March 9, 2018
They have now just added a short blurb to that section. They, of course, didn't update the list or the effective date of the list :rolleyes::

Incentives and Eligible Vehicles under the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program
Notice: On July 3, 2018, Ontario cancelled the cap and trade program. Given the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program and the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Programs are funded through cap-and-trade proceeds, these programs are cancelled. Click on the following link for additional information.

I also just got off the phone with Tesla (less than 30 min wait). I confirmed what many others have stated here:
The electronic order date would remain the same.
A change to your order (say AWD to RWD) would currently place you farther back in line (Oct to Dec) as opposed to mine (Sept to Nov).
The premium connectivity would remain (if ordered before July 1).

I asked if there is anything in regards to ramping up a delivery to Ontario to fill these orders sooner. He obviously didn't know since the change just occurred yesterday but he said if there was, Telsa would reach out to those orders and advise them.

I think Tesla know what is going on....

This happens twice.

1/ Floodgate was opened back in the week of Jun 29, just before PC took power

2/ You can order model 3 yesterday without reservation, and then the news about rebate cancellation appears later; you have until midnight

if Tesla can produce 5000 cars/ week, they can easily fill the Ontario's orders.

The other thing it seems is

1/ You may cancel if you don't have VIN yet and may get a full refund

2/ You should be able to move your depost/order money to a future orders, like SR with no premium package

I think that is fair.

Just got here....2 years of waiting (deposited $1,000 in June 2016), firmed up my deposit for an AWD on June 26th 2018 and now this....ugh. Can't have a RWD in snow and every other car in the $70,000 CDN price range just sucks...sigh. Not a fan of Rob Ford but it is what it is. Hoping to get mine soon.

Just got here....2 years of waiting (deposited $1,000 in June 2016), firmed up my deposit for an AWD on June 26th 2018 and now this....ugh. Can't have a RWD in snow and every other car in the $70,000 CDN price range just sucks...sigh. Not a fan of Rob Ford but it is what it is. Hoping to get mine soon.
People have been claiming that RWD vs AWD is not a big deal on a Tesla car due to the weight distribution. We will find out this winter I suppose.

Reactions: Anto
As of June 2013, seat belt locks are not required to be red in Canada anymore ... my 2017 Model S has a black seat belt lock
Not much different, you need the Canadian stickers and bilingual airbag warnings, all the rest of the differences are controlled through software (metric, DRLs etc..). They usually build Canadian and US vehicles in such a way to comply to both standards

FYI US models have red seatbelt release buttons

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Not much different, you need the Canadian stickers and bilingual airbag warnings, all the rest of the differences are controlled through software (metric, DRLs etc..). They usually build Canadian and US vehicles in such a way to comply to both standards

FYI US models have red seatbelt release buttons

Good to know. Maybe it's not an issue then which gives Tesla maximum options for getting us deliveries in time.

I called and got the same answer. You have to have ordered and installed the charger before July 11th too to get both of those rebates.
Well, if this is accurate then it’s good news. The questions is ‘can we trust the person with whom you spoke?’.

Did they have any insight about (or even know) that the press release yesterday and the MTO website both contradict what they were saying? I’m hoping they did and said something like ‘yes we know about that and it will be amended shortly’

Fingers crossed!

Rob Ford is dead.

Fingers crossed you get your AWD soon too. RWD sucks compared to AWD, especially on high torque zippy electric cars. Those who say RWD is fine probably haven't driven the same car in AWD fashion in wet or snowy weather, and don't realise what they're missing out on...WAY better stability, not to mention WAY better performance year round.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Rob Ford is dead.

Fingers crossed you get your AWD soon too. RWD sucks compared to AWD, especially on high torque zippy electric cars. Those who say RWD is fine probably haven't driven the same car in AWD fashion in wet or snowy weather, and don't realise what they're missing out on...WAY better stability, not to mention WAY better performance year round.
The performance part hasn't been verified yet and there was one report where it apparently showed it to be less efficient (which I am not convinced is correct). I would still think Tesla RWD would have excellent traction in winter conditions and the difference compared with their AWD version would be negligible compared to regular RWD vs AWD ICE vehicles. You may have more direct experience since I haven't driven a model S (either version) in winter.