Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completed my order on June 29. Does anyone know the cancellation / refund policy. Even with the rebate I could barely justify the purchase and now without it, I can't.

(also somewhere on the post someone mentioned the long ratnge AWD model was not eligible anyway...is this correct? I was sure when put through the order, it showed I would have gotten the rebate)

Thanks.

Tesla will refund back to your credit card, another option is if you don't mind standard range, you can have them switch order, and wait until next year. I wasn't a Tesla fan when they first introduce their Model S in 2012, but after I test drive last year, man, I know this is the car I want. Tesla design the car which I always dream of... Stylish, fast, clean, OTA update, I feel like I'm driving a new car every time they did OTA update ... Out of topic, but yeah, Model 3 is worth every penny with or without incentive.

We have to be fair.

Tesla doesn't have to offer you a refund, when we place an order, it has already indicated the order is firm and there is no refund, whether you get rebate or not. It is very nice of Tesla to offer us a FULL REFUND without fuss. No other dealer will do that for you.

The only thing I know is I will buy the next EV and the one after that from Tesla. Their cars are sexy. Wait until they come out with a SR, no premium package and AWD for Canadian. It will sell like hot cake.

Way to go

Reactions: Falkirk and 03DSG
The newest message Tesla gets from Ontario official said all Tesla orders are ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer, not through a franchised automobile dealership. So all Tesla vehicle deliver after July 11 will not qualify. However, Tesla HQ is still communicating with MTO.

Thanks for the info, now I start to believe ICE dealers / companies are pushing and gave 'orders' to PC because they afraid of EV market to grow as they see Tesla is getting ready to change the world of transportation.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
The concern here is people that have ordered a car with the incentive in mind (and otherwise cannot afford the car without the incentive). This is very possibly effectively screwing them out of $14000. I hope Musk manages to deliver on the cars on time.

The concern here is people that have ordered a car with the incentive in mind (and otherwise cannot afford the car without the incentive). This is very possibly effectively screwing them out of $14000. I hope Musk manages to deliver on the cars on time.
It doesn't matter if they are delivered on time anymore, as of now, Teslas delivered after July 11 does not qualify for the incentive.

Making noise will only make the media turn this into another “blame Tesla” story. The incentive was never guaranteed. One had to purchase with some caution, I know I did. $14000 is a crazy amount of money to be giving out and overall too big to sustain. If you’re stuck then switch to standard battery or get a refund and buy a Leaf for a fraction of the price.

It doesn't matter if they are delivered on time anymore, as of now, Teslas delivered after July 11 does not qualify for the incentive.

Not true:

Applications will be accepted from dealerships, car owners or prospective car owners only if one of the following conditions has been met:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Therefore, the second condition is the only condition that matters.

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG
OK guys - as it stands now, if you haven't gotten your car yet, you're screwed. I'm sure Tesla is doing what they can to change the Ontario Government's mind, but they need our help - let's ALL OF US email ALL of the PC MPPs. I'm such a nice guys that I've even compiled all of their emails (see below) and even written a letter that we can all send. As I see it, there are 3 ways we can do this; a lazy way, a less lazy way, and a way that takes more effort:

1. Lazy Way: copy the letter into an email, BCC all of the MPPs and simply start the letter off in a generic format (e.g. Good afternoon). This will take you all of 10 seconds.

2. More Effort Way: Copy the letter into an email and send it to every MPP individually, addressing them by name. This should take you 10-15 minutes.

3. Whether you BCC all the MPPs or address them individually in multiple emails, customize the letter so that it's not the same as all the other letters they're getting.

Really, if we're not willing to do even this little bit, then we don't deserve a $14,000 rebate. Let's apply a little pressure folks!

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

...letter to follow in a minute

...and here is the letter, with the spelling fixed:

Dear Mr./Ms. MPP,

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EHVIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.

• Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Sincerely,

Tesla will refund back to your credit card, another option is if you don't mind standard range, you can have them switch order, and wait until next year. I wasn't a Tesla fan when they first introduce their Model S in 2012, but after I test drive last year, man, I know this is the car I want. Tesla design the car which I always dream of... Stylish, fast, clean, OTA update, I feel like I'm driving a new car every time they did OTA update ... Out of topic, but yeah, Model 3 is worth every penny with or without incentive.
Thanks Wanche, that's a good idea. I'll wait until Monday and let the dust settle and see if Tesla comes out with any official response, before I call Tesla to switch my order and wait until a more affordable model is available - ideally, SR, AWD (for Canadian winters), non-premium package. Just wish I could have gotten this WITH the rebate too.

It seems that those of us who had made the original deposit ($1000) but not the order ($3200) are totally out of luck.

I myself was purposely holding out from making the 3200 pavement because of the uncertainty of the incentive. Now I am realizing that, even if Ford decides to honour purchases made before July 11th and delivered before September 10th, those of us who were waiting to hear more information about the cancellation of the rebate are screwed. Anyone else in this boat? Seems as if I would have been much better off just paying the 3200, risking loosing the incentive.

At this point, those of us who didn’t pay the 3200 really have absolutely no hope. If I had just paid the 3200, I could at least hope for Ford to honour the rebate.