Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.omvic.on.ca/RegistrantS...astName=null&DealerName=Tesla&PostalCode=null

Can someone please clarify? If Tesla is registered as a dealership as per link, assuming they pay fees for this recognition, how are they not a dealership according to the government?

Problem is, Tesla “dealers” are not the ones ordering the cars from the manufacturer. We, as consumers, are ordering directly from the manufacturer and that’s what Ford is using to single out Tesla.

I think it’s “shameful” that you want to peg all Ontarians into the same boat of not caring.

For starters I have an ICE car and it has served me well. Rebate or not, investing in an EV would benefit my family as I commute over 100kms a day for work. The rebate to me served as an incentive to get into an EV but also do away with the rising cost of filling up. Should there be a country wide rebate? Of course, should more people be driving EVs? Absolutely.

Now my original post was calling on everyone to urge for a federal rebate that would benifit all Canadians, not just Ontarians. If I was being self centered I would have urged everyone to push for a reinstatement of an Ontario rebate again.

Why didn’t I urge for this is the past? Honestly it didn’t affect me, as I was not in the market for an EV until recently. I would think those who have been in the market have tried like yourself.

So again, my plea is for the greater good for the nation to get this started, not just Ontario.

Not all of us Ontarians are a-holes...just saying.

⬇️

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Early reservation holder, waited patiently to configure AWD. The floodgates opened and I configured immediately on the 27th. Paid the $3200 deposit and waited. I had hoped and dreamed and wished upon stars that Ford would become too busy with other stuff and let the incentive ride out until the fund was depleted. At the very least, I'd hoped that he'd let it run it's course until Jan 1. Alas, here I am with an $80,000 (+tax) car, that was supposed to be $66,000. I can't afford this car without the incentive.

I've emailed both my local MPP as well as Minister McKenna, pleading her to put pressure on the Province to honour all existing orders including AWD until the fund is depleted. As well as pushing for a nation-wide rebate which is long overdue. In essence, the new political party is stealing money from a fund that had already been paid into and taking it away from those deserving and expectant of it. As far as I'm concerned, if the EHVIP website was still operational and the Incentive was still listed on Tesla's website, you should qualify.

There HAS to be some legal action possible here. If you've paid a $4200 non-refundable down payment on pretenses that you would qualify for a sizeable incentive, then overnight you're not - that's a bait and switch!

I've read comments in the news where people are happy that the "Tesla Tax" has finally been killed. Stating "Millionaires" don't need help paying for their cars is so aggravating and makes my blood boil. I am far from a millionaire. I have been smart with my money and I'm a conscious consumer who cares about the environment. I'm sick of paying $450 a month to pollute the air I breath. I want a well engineered vehicle from a company that is passionate and has similar values to that of my own.

I sincerely hope Tesla has pity and allows for a full refund. I can't have my heart broken twice - No Tesla AND $4200 gone...

I have a feeling you are right. Not that people shouldn't canvass the Ford government and voice their displeasure though.

Too bad the feds aren't stepping up and saying that orders received effective IMMEDIATELY are HST free. I'm sure they are following this.
Does the federal gov. have full control over the entire HST? Wouldn't they only be able to give the GST (7%) portion?

Reactions: adaptabl
I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Early reservation holder, waited patiently to configure AWD. The floodgates opened and I configured immediately on the 27th. Paid the $3200 deposit and waited. I had hoped and dreamed and wished upon stars that Ford would become too busy with other stuff and let the incentive ride out until the fund was depleted. At the very least, I'd hoped that he'd let it run it's course until Jan 1. Alas, here I am with an $80,000 (+tax) car, that was supposed to be $66,000. I can't afford this car without the incentive.

I've emailed both my local MPP as well as Minister McKenna, pleading her to put pressure on the Province to honour all existing orders including AWD until the fund is depleted. As well as pushing for a nation-wide rebate which is long overdue. In essence, the new political party is stealing money from a fund that had already been paid into and taking it away from those deserving and expectant of it. As far as I'm concerned, if the EHVIP website was still operational and the Incentive was still listed on Tesla's website, you should qualify.

There HAS to be some legal action possible here. If you've paid a $4200 non-refundable down payment on pretenses that you would qualify for a sizeable incentive, then overnight you're not - that's a bait and switch!

I've read comments in the news where people are happy that the "Tesla Tax" has finally been killed. Stating "Millionaires" don't need help paying for their cars is so aggravating and makes my blood boil. I am far from a millionaire. I have been smart with my money and I'm a conscious consumer who cares about the environment. I'm sick of paying $450 a month to pollute the air I breath. I want a well engineered vehicle from a company that is passionate and has similar values to that of my own.

I sincerely hope Tesla has pity and allows for a full refund. I can't have my heart broken twice - No Tesla AND $4200 gone...

Could people please respond as to why they're disagreeing with my comment and not simply hit the disagree button? I would like to know what was said that you're in disagreement with so that we can have a civilized and informative discussion.

Thanks!

I am not from Ontario but from what I read early this year, it’s been discussed many time this will be gone once Ford became elected. Now I see a lot of posts people blaming Tesla or the government. Assuming Ford is busy and he won’t be cancelling the rebate doesn’t sound very logical to me. At the end of the day, don’t buy something you can’t afford!

I am not from Ontario but from what I read early this year, it’s been discussed many time this will be gone once Ford became elected. Now I see a lot of posts people blaming Tesla or the government. Assuming Ford is busy and he won’t be cancelling the rebate doesn’t sound very logical to me. At the end of the day, don’t buy something you can’t afford!
I find this post quite offensive. There are many people, like myself, who have diligently saved money for a long time to buy a car that has leading edge technology, is environmentally responsible and represents a new way of thinking. With any purchase, I determine cost and benefit. I look to ways to maximize value and I consider alternatives. When I decided to buy the Tesla 3 I was very thoughtful about these factors and the $14k rebate brought this vehicle into a cost area comparable to a well outfitted Honda Accord. So I could spend Accord-like funds but not contribute to emissions related pollution: that sounds like smart shopping to me. 14,000 dollars makes a huge difference. I resent someone I don’t know judging my purchase as extravagant. It’s not. It was a smart purchase buoyed by a government commitment to support responsible technology.

Could people please respond as to why they're disagreeing with my comment and not simply hit the disagree button? I would like to know what was said that you're in disagreement with so that we can have a civilized and informative discussion.

Thanks!

Well I didn't click disagree but I don't think you expecting Tesla to do you a favour and refund the deposit is fair, and I'd think that's what people are indicating. You didn't just pay money, you agreed to T&Cs when you made the deposit and that includes a commitment to see through the order. Tesla can't be held accountable for changes in the commercial environment, just like if the price of electricity doubled, an electric car tax was created or any number of other things happened.

In theory Tesla has now spent money on scheduling your vehicle for production and all kinds of other administrative work - not really fair to expect them to just forget about it.

I think you have several options that don't involve losing your deposit:
  1. Continue with the purchase of the same spec and swallow it, or reconfigure to a less costly spec, if that's an option for you and Tesla can help.
  2. Continue with the purchase and sell the car when you get it - I am sure there will be demand for a long time to come, especially if you're just looking to sell on at the same price you paid.
  3. Advertise your order for sale (Tesla might be amenable to helping you transfer it).

I find this post quite offensive. There are many people, like myself, who have diligently saved money for a long time to buy a car that has leading edge technology, is environmentally responsible and represents a new way of thinking. With any purchase, I determine cost and benefit. I look to ways to maximize value and I consider alternatives. When I decided to buy the Tesla 3 I was very thoughtful about these factors and the $14k rebate brought this vehicle into a cost area comparable to a well outfitted Honda Accord. So I could spend Accord-like funds but not contribute to emissions related pollution: that sounds like smart shopping to me. 14,000 dollars makes a huge difference. I resent someone I don’t know judging my purchase as extravagant. It’s not. It was a smart purchase buoyed by a government commitment to support responsible technology.

Unfortunately it's just one of those sh*t happens moments. Doug and his buddies think you're a millionaire, voters of a certain kind lap that stuff up and most of the rest don't care either way, so it's dead. Personally I think the overriding theme in the posts here is disappointment rather than blame. It sucks, I don't think it's the right way forward but this is democracy/politics, especially in these times.

Guys it looks like CBC wants to do an article as well!! Please email her your story now!! She also wants people who can also volunteer to be on air as well. Please email her ASAP. You can find her email here Michelle Cheung (@MichelleCBC) | Twitter
Shine
Guys it looks like CBC wants to do an article as well!! Please email her your story now!! She also wants people who can also volunteer to be on air as well. Please email her ASAP. You can find her email here Michelle Cheung (@MichelleCBC) | Twitter
Done. Thanks for sharing

My intake on this. Ford taking away this program was reasonable. Most of the people buying this car are at least in middle income class and can justify it. Do we need to provide incentives to people who are buying a pricier car? But before anyone chews my ear off....

It was not fair to not make due on the orders that are in the system. People, like us, ordered this car expecting a rebate of $14k and now how to plan on how to make this work financially. Was it not available we would have never ordered the car. The great news is that it seems, according to posts, Tesla is willing to refund the deposits which says a lot about who they are as a company. I'm very impressed.

We were not due for a new car yet but one of our cars is close to going to heaven. Calculating the cost of gas (husband works an hour away), new car payments, plus maintenance, it probably is very much worth the payments on the Tesla. Those who are looking for a new car should do the math .

My two cents