Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched CBC news - it started about 15 minutes late due to Calgary Stampede coverage.

Immediately before the Tesla story, they covered protests over the PC plan to not increase the mimimum wage further and over the sex-ed curriculum changes.

The Tesla story seemed very fair with an emphasis on it being a more affordable car, and with the government's approach being unfair and inconsistent with Ford's previous statements.

How it played for people not plugged into the topic is another matter. I'd hope that combined with the previous story, some viewers are starting to see a pattern of behaviour by this government.
Shoot I just missed it

Lol progressive conservatives...whats progressive? They really need to change their party name.

14k will not stop me. The model 3 to me is a statement piece. Ive biked to work for the last decade. I take public transit. I own a car and only use it whens its neccessary and more convenient.

Afterall.. well make it back when he drops electrcity by 12 percent!

Tesla just tweeted about this issue on their twitter feed. You can go there to follow the thread
I’m glad they’ve said it publicly now, maybe with everything, media, emails to MPP’s and some pressure from Tesla, they’ll finally play fair and honour the rebate for orders before the 11th... maybe... at the end of the days that’s all we’re asking for.

Reactions: Ludatik
I’m glad they’ve said it publicly now, maybe with everything, media, emails to MPP’s and some pressure from Tesla, they’ll finally play fair and honour the rebate for orders before the 11th... maybe... at the end of the days that’s all we’re asking for.
Still... the dual motor was not listed as an eligible vehicle on the ehvip website at the time of the program cancellation...

Still... the dual motor was not listed as an eligible vehicle on the ehvip website at the time of the program cancellation...

absolutely, and that’s the part that sucks about how quickly they did their “orderly shutdown”. I honestly don’t think we’ll get anything from this government, but the best I think we can hope for is anyone who ordered the RWD before 11 July and take delivery prior to 10 Sept might be treated fairly. I think they’ll be able to say that the approval for AWD wasn’t issued before the program was cancelled, so even less chance of winning that battle I’d say.

Lol progressive conservatives...whats progressive? They really need to change their party name.

Indeed, it is an oxymoron. Conservative means preserving the current status => no change, while progress means change.

As for the rebate cancellation. I have made my order on June 26th, so I will not get the rebate either. However, I have expected that to be the outcome, never trusted Ford's government to honor rebates promised by the previous gov. My biggest problem is not the loss of the $14k (one time). I have a much bigger problem...

My family (me+wife) has been paying about 10x that much in taxes each year to the government and I did not mind that, because I saw it was used for good causes: clean energy support (solar and wind FIT program), energy efficient appliance replacement support, LED light supports, EV rebates etc. The new government has cancelled all of these, so what are they going to spend my money on ? Partying and getting high on drugs like his brother did ? I have no intention of supporting that, so it looks like my best option is to leave Ontario and pay my tax dollars somewhere else!

Reactions: RedOctober
Watched the CBC news piece. Hard to dig too deep with so little time but overall it was OK. The article is very good. Better than I imagined it would be. How about a follow-up on Marketplace or similar, digging deeper on what could have motivated the PC's to come up with the wording they used, then act dumb, then shut it down...all carefully orchestrated events. I'd appreciate their true motives being flushed out publicly. Was it an anti-Tesla move or simply that Tesla was about to suck the funds dry and more about the money?

I really doubt this will have any effect at the provincial level but hopefully is catching the attention of people at the federal level. A much bigger issue is cancellation of the sex-ed curriculum and they certainly gave the protestors today their moment so lots of negative Ford news coming out there.

Leaving the province isn't a viable option for most but you can use your $$$ to voice your displeasure. Support other parties, curb your spending. Quit smoking. Reduce alcohol consumption and gambling. Anything that is heavily taxed. Make yourself more efficient and healthy in the process and save for a future Tesla purchase if you are passing for now.

Watched the CBC news piece. Hard to dig too deep with so little time but overall it was OK. The article is very good. Better than I imagined it would be. How about a follow-up on Marketplace or similar, digging deeper on what could have motivated the PC's to come up with the wording they used, then act dumb, then shut it down...all carefully orchestrated events. I'd appreciate their true motives being flushed out publicly. Was it an anti-Tesla move or simply that Tesla was about to suck the funds dry and more about the money?

I really doubt this will have any effect at the provincial level but hopefully is catching the attention of people at the federal level. A much bigger issue is cancellation of the sex-ed curriculum and they certainly gave the protestors today their moment so lots of negative Ford news coming out there.

Leaving the province isn't a viable option for most but you can use your $$$ to voice your displeasure. Support other parties, curb your spending. Quit smoking. Reduce alcohol consumption and gambling. Anything that is heavily taxed. Make yourself more efficient and healthy in the process and save for a future Tesla purchase if you are passing for now.
I would love to see what auto companies have donated to Ford-nation and how much.

Not to mention oil and gas companies.

Otherwise they would have kept Tesla in with all car companies with the incentive.

Dig a litter deeper to see the truth.

I just signed the petition, “Government of Canada: Federal incentives for Canadians purchasing new electric vehicles (EV)..” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

Here’s the link:

https://www.change.org/p/government-of-canada-federal-incentives-for-canadians-purchasing-new-electric-vehicles-ev?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=889162021

Done! Everyone please sign the petition.

Well I didn't click disagree but I don't think you expecting Tesla to do you a favour and refund the deposit is fair, and I'd think that's what people are indicating. You didn't just pay money, you agreed to T&Cs when you made the deposit and that includes a commitment to see through the order. Tesla can't be held accountable for changes in the commercial environment, just like if the price of electricity doubled, an electric car tax was created or any number of other things happened.

In theory Tesla has now spent money on scheduling your vehicle for production and all kinds of other administrative work - not really fair to expect them to just forget about it.

I think you have several options that don't involve losing your deposit:
  1. Continue with the purchase of the same spec and swallow it, or reconfigure to a less costly spec, if that's an option for you and Tesla can help.
  2. Continue with the purchase and sell the car when you get it - I am sure there will be demand for a long time to come, especially if you're just looking to sell on at the same price you paid.
  3. Advertise your order for sale (Tesla might be amenable to helping you transfer it).

I completely agree.
My post was never meant to come off as my expecting Tesla to refund. It was merely a hope, for lack of a better word.

I spent an hour an a half on hold with them after posting this yesterday. Tesla is an absolutely fantastic company. Elon himself had apparently mandated that all those effected by the cancelation be entitled to a refund. They rep mentioned that even if you have a VIN assigned, they would still honour a refund.

Thankfully, I have 3 months until my AWD order is up. I’ve been reading many articles that the government of BC did the same thing and due to public pressure, reinstated the incentive a short while later.

Here’s hoping!