Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure who else this might affect. But I’m no longer able to get into the design studio anymore. I’m a reservation holder but also tried without logging in.
4EE4DC5E-ADAB-4954-8E88-E3F513005C06.png
Can no longer order in Canada?

Last edited:
That's a fair point, but in your analogy of 100 cars worldwide I see 2 counter points. First, that what matters most to Tesla is how many m3s they deliver in the next 2 quarters, and that number won't change. Second, that the potential number of lost sales is much less than 10% because Ontario is small compared to the worldwide demand, and not everyone in Ontario is canceling.

The US regularly sells about 10x more EVs than Canada per year (ie, about 2,000 volts per year in Canada, and over 20,000 in the States, pretty sure it's similar for leaf, S, X, etc...it basically scales with population last I checked).

Quebec sells the most evs in Canada (last I checked). So if you assume Ontario accounts for about 30% of ev sales, Quebec 50% and BC 20%, that means if everyone on Ontario cancelled tesla would lose 3/100 sales. But not everyone is canceling, so even if 50% cancel (ie, full cancellation, not just waiting for SR) that's only a 1.5% hit to Tesla.

This also doesn't consider worldwide demand. Once you factor that in it may be Ontario cancellations are much less than 1% of the tesla backlog. And I'm sure they can recover from that.

If nothing else it does seem like this won't be the deciding factor in tesla becoming profitable. They need to focus on building to the demand, and unfortunately it's still there despite us in Ontario having the rug pulled out from under us.

I'm sure folks in Quebec and BC would be more than happy to get their model 3 sooner and that alone would make up for the cancelled Ontario orders. Remember, tesla can't build the cars fast enough right now, and even after they can deliver AWD, RWD and P-AWD quickly, they will have a huge backlog of SR to deal with.

Sorry for the long post... Wrote it on my phone and too cumbersome to go back and shorten/edit.
My numbers weren't to scale, just pointing out a cancellation is still a lost sale.

Secondly if someone falls outside of the q3 and q4 deliveries in the US there's a better chance they will still order as they go from $7500 to $3500 vs. 14k to zero.

How many of are going through with the purchase? How many are canceling your order?

I configured June 14th for RWD. Right now I'm not making any changes, if for whatever reason they decide to include Tesla's before July 11th and I get assigned a VIN I'll keep it (unfortunately I see a low probability of this happening). If I do get assigned a VIN and there hasn't been any changes to the rebate program, I'll change my order to AWD. I think for the extra money it is definitely worth it. I know many have been saying with Winter tires it handles fine. My friend friend has the model S without AWD and he said it was a bit sketchy going uphill with snow....

Also for those who want to know about still qualifying for premium connectivity if you make changes after July 1st, I spoke with the Tesla rep and she said you'll get the premium connectivity.

I just sent a letter on behalf of the Tesla Owners Ontario club to the Minister of Transportation.

Here are suggestions for Model 3 buyers with locked In orders prior to July 11th:

Write to your local MPP, the Minister of Transportation and Office of the Premier. You may also consider cc-ing the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates).
We do not want to provide a “canned message” nor put words in your mouth. Neither would be as effective as a heart-felt, personally written note.

Here are some bullet points to help you compose your thoughts:
• I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 with a non-refundable deposit made before the July 11th announced end date for the EHVIP program.
• I cannot afford this purchase without the help of the gov’t incentive. If the incentive is removed, I stand to lose my deposit because I won’t be able to afford this car otherwise.
• I respectfully request that you extend the same Sept. 10 delivery window to my order as has been offered to those who ordered other brands through car dealerships.
• I am concerned about the apparent discriminatory action taken by the government.
• The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers in a marketplace. Government should afford Tesla customers – Ontarians -- who ordered before July 11 and who take delivery by September 10 the same access to the incentive as those buying through franchised dealers.
• Why have you made such an unfair decision and why haven’t you explained the decision properly on their website?
John Dixon
Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

I created an account here as I am impacted. In Toronto. Ordered in June 2017, was waiting for the AWD but when I found out about the plan to kill the rebate and have a 'proper wind down'. I pulled trigger on RWD June 19, 2018 thinking i would be ok getting the rebate. Have since purchased AND installed a Wall Charger (probably $1000 all-in). If I cannot get this $14k I will probably have to cancel and wait 6-12 months to save $$.

I have called and emailed my MPP (Kathleen Wynne) about this. What is the correct contact for the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates)?

I just sent a letter on behalf of the Tesla Owners Ontario club to the Minister of Transportation.

Here are suggestions for Model 3 buyers with locked In orders prior to July 11th:

Write to your local MPP, the Minister of Transportation and Office of the Premier. You may also consider cc-ing the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates).
We do not want to provide a “canned message” nor put words in your mouth. Neither would be as effective as a heart-felt, personally written note.

Here are some bullet points to help you compose your thoughts:
• I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 with a non-refundable deposit made before the July 11th announced end date for the EHVIP program.
• I cannot afford this purchase without the help of the gov’t incentive. If the incentive is removed, I stand to lose my deposit because I won’t be able to afford this car otherwise.
• I respectfully request that you extend the same Sept. 10 delivery window to my order as has been offered to those who ordered other brands through car dealerships.
• I am concerned about the apparent discriminatory action taken by the government.
• The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers in a marketplace. Government should afford Tesla customers – Ontarians -- who ordered before July 11 and who take delivery by September 10 the same access to the incentive as those buying through franchised dealers.
• Why have you made such an unfair decision and why haven’t you explained the decision properly on their website?
John Dixon
Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

Despite myself, I’m back...

Ok, I like where your head is at, BUT I think as soon as we say the word ‘Tesla’ people tune out. I think we should stress the differential treatment of consumers vs. businesses; why are consumers getting screwed while businesses get a break? Wasn’t this a party ‘for the PEOPLE’?

I recently had a brief exchange with a PC MPP where he reiterated that the program had to end (duh). This was my response:

“I understand completely that with the abolition of cap and trade, these incentive and rebate programs have to stop.

However, as it stands, consumers who placed orders for cars prior to even the election are being barred from the program if their car was not delivered (and registered and plated) prior to the date of announcement (July 11th). In contrast, DEALERS who placed their orders prior to the announcement ARE still eligible to receive the rebate up until Sept 10th. This seems like a clear case of the citizen being thrown under the bus while businesses get special treatment. This is even in the face of assurances made by Doug Ford prior to the swearing-in that orders and contracts entered into prior to June 29th would be honoured. In this regard it sounds a lot like ‘promise made, promise broken’ (I have twitter messages detailing these conversations, if you would like to see them).

All I’m asking for is the same treatment for businesses and consumers; apply the same rules for the wind-down of the program to both parties. After all, Premier Ford DID say that the PCs were a party for The People.

I have faith that the PC party is a party that keeps its word and believes in fair treatment for all Ontarians, and is not just a party for big business. Please don’t prove me wrong in this.”

I’m thinking this angle might resonate more than ‘feel sorry for me I wanted to buy a Tesla and now I can’t afford it!’

Also, PCs are driving the bus now. If you’re in a riding that is PC then please harass your MPP non-stop! Even if you’re not in a PC riding, harass your MPP and also the ministries directly.

In the same boat as many, ordered a LR RWD July 6, had been away for work so missed when Email first came in.

Not sure whether to cancel or keep order, really want the car but I feel like if they bring an incentive back in the next 6 months federally I will feel like an idiot.

Also just lost the ability to go into “edit design”

I agree incentive was too rich and right move to reduce, however my sticking point is same as many on here that the way it was handled with the “wind down” seems unfair.

I just spoke to a Tesla rep in Oakville and he said Tesla is still fighting it. The email posted here sent by Tesla reps to the two individuals says that there is no longer a rebate available. He confirmed that even though that is true it is not an official announcement to its customers and it’s not a done deal yet. He suggested to hold off until an official announcemement and that Tesla is offering a full refund to those who want to cancel. I for one am going to hold off cancelling until I know 100% that the rebate is not available. I really hope they they have the muscle to fight this unfair treatment but he encouraged everyone to write to their MP and post on social media.

Please everyone - write the ministries and let them know it’s unfair to give businesses a break but to screw consumers!

It’s easy to do - just go to https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministries and write your message and click send. I would recommend requesting an email back as well.

I would hit up the Premier’s office as well as the following ministries:
-Finance
-Environment, Conservation, and Parks
-Transportation

Be careful when editing, it may change things for you. If you are going to change then call their main customer service number and confirm that your status will remain the same. I haven’t tried getting into the design studio.

The emails I was referring to were related directly to the rebate (posted much earlier in this forum). I believe they were posted sometime yesterday.

I got the letter saying that has to be a year since the last incentive. Which it was.
Even in the documentation for you to apply for the incentives (2096E) it says 1 year.

I'm glad that you're not out of pocket on this - I didn't know how long you had the Bolt, so just wanted to make you aware in case. The way that the incentive changed was significant too: for the $3000 incentive from 2016 I think it's paid out in $1000 installments over 3 years or so (I honestly don't know because I never actually got it).

Reactions: ThiagoSnow
Older Electrek article showing the feds are looking to implement something before the end of 2018. Regardless of how it plays out in regards to those caught up in losing their incentive, there still needs to be a program in place that helps address GHG reduction.

"The (Federal) government acknowledged that transportation accounts for about 24 percent of Canada’s emissions and they will need to address the issue at the federal level if they want to hit their national target for emission reduction."

Tesla could just (privately) donate money to the EHVIP program in exchange for Ford lifting the ban on Tesla sales. This would dampen the optics of being perceived as doing anything special for one group of buyers and not another.

Yes, I converted earlier from AWD to RWD. To answer your question:

1. Yes, from September to August
2. Yes, the Order Agreement was updated with the new date of change.
That is interesting and contrary to what I was told.
When I called in, I was told specifically from the rep that the official date of my order agreement would not change if I changed from AWD to RWD. Did you do a change online or did you call and have them change it?
I also confirmed that as long as your initial order was placed before July 1, you would still receive the premium internet even if a change was made after that date.