Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I picked up my RWD today.... I’m still VERY much hoping for that rebate and that our collective efforts make for a meaningful change to a fair policy. But for those on the fence, believe me when I say it is worth every cent, even without the rebate. For those who can’t afford the LR, if you can hold out for the SR, again, I think it would be worth it. I know we can’t all afford it without the rebate, so again, I hope we can affect some change so you can get the car. It’s hands down the best car Ive ever driven.

Edit: also the delivery experience at the Lawrence location was incredible.
Congrats!!! Looking forward to reading reviews

Sry first time poster here. I have read a lot of pages here but I couldn't find the answer.
Just wondering now that Ontario rebates gone, what r the chances of getting my relative in bc buy the model 3 , get the $5000 rebate and transfer ownership to me? I know I have to pay Ontario tax and shipping cost but aside than that, it should be OK right?

Sry first time poster here. I have read a lot of pages here but I couldn't find the answer.
Just wondering now that Ontario rebates gone, what r the chances of getting my relative in bc buy the model 3 , get the $5000 rebate and transfer ownership to me? I know I have to pay Ontario tax and shipping cost but aside than that, it should be OK right?
There are also sometimes rules about how long the rebate recipient needs to own car, this was the case in Ontario (to prevent exactly what you’re suggesting). You’d have to look into BC’s rules. Depending on who your relatives are in relation to you, it could be “gifted” to avoid taxes but there’s a very specific list of who is eligible to do that.

Not a bad idea, problem is the government have likely thought that you might have this idea, and put up barriers to prevent you from doing it.

Congrats!!! Looking forward to reading reviews
For sure. Day 1 was great but I’ll update everyone here. I feel like we’ve become a little community on this thread. I’ll post more in a more relevant thread but I’ll post a link here for everyone.

The strangest thing yesterday was how many times I got stopped in Parking lots, I even had a couple of people manoeuvre aggressively to get up beside me on the road to give me a thumbs up or take a closer look.

I stopped at the Port Hope SC on the way home and everyone there chatted with me, wanted to see the car (all S owners), but just very friendly and felt very welcomed into the “Tesla family”.

For sure. Day 1 was great but I’ll update everyone here. I feel like we’ve become a little community on this thread. I’ll post more in a more relevant thread but I’ll post a link here for everyone.

The strangest thing yesterday was how many times I got stopped in Parking lots, I even had a couple of people manoeuvre aggressively to get up beside me on the road to give me a thumbs up or take a closer look.

I stopped at the Port Hope SC on the way home and everyone there chatted with me, wanted to see the car (all S owners), but just very friendly and felt very welcomed into the “Tesla family”.

I'll usually susceptible to FOMO so I can see how missing the rebate by such a slim margin can hurt, I don't know if I'd be able to keep a sunny disposition like you have! Lol
I'm keeping my rwd for now until I call Tesla next week. I really want an AWD if I'm not going to get the rebate, hopefully I don't fall into a weird Gap again where I can't change and have to take a rwd with no rebate or lose my deposit. Ordered June 18th so I now hope my car doesn't come too soon again...

Maybe if they retain ownership for the requisite 12 or 24 months (don't know the BC rules), then transfer to you eventually? Then again, that would be tricky for interim licensing and insurance...

As others have pointed out there are likely conditions to prevent this from happening easily (required time to keep car plated and insured in BC, transfer taxes, shipping costs). By the time you factor all those things in I can't see it being worth it...you'll end up with the car in a year and having saved maybe a few thousand...or likely end up paying more if you have to pay hey twice.

At the very least, with all that hassle just wait for SR to come out and that will save you more than the rebate anyway and lost if hassle.

I got 3.83 for a 4 yr term and 3.93 for a 5 yr but I booked in June and got to keep those rates. 3.78 for 3 yr.

I was looking at rates yesterday and on the Tesla website saw only 4.6% @ 96 months for the Model 3 but for the X/S it was 3.49% for anywhere between 36 and 72 months or 3.99 for 84-96 months. I presume that's all current/valid but one never knows...

My HELOC is currently 3.95% so 6yrs at 3.49 is looking good on an X/S as that would be locked in and interest rates are on the rise. Though the HELOC has a lot more flexibility and if I was in a position to pay it off sooner, advantage would go to it.

If the feds bring out something that's not capped to the cost of the EV, I might splurge for a MX but not till the spring

A cringe worthy 4.4 % but I needed to stretch this out to 96 months.

Was the 4.4% what the Tesla website reflected at the time or did you go elsewhere for that rate?

• Disagree
Reactions: Burlburt
I'll usually susceptible to FOMO so I can see how missing the rebate by such a slim margin can hurt, I don't know if I'd be able to keep a sunny disposition like you have! Lol
I'm keeping my rwd for now until I call Tesla next week. I really want an AWD if I'm not going to get the rebate, hopefully I don't fall into a weird Gap again where I can't change and have to take a rwd with no rebate or lose my deposit. Ordered June 18th so I now hope my car doesn't come too soon again...

I would definitely call Tesla and explain your situation/plan and get them to verify your options and then ask for an email address to send your summary of the phone call for them to verify as correct. If the person doesn't sound like they know what they are talking about, call again later and get someone else. They might be willing to allow you the highest degree of leverage possible while waiting to see how things play out. Certainly doesn't hurt to try negotiating that.