Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my perspective, your expectations are unrealistic. The onus is on the consumer to follow the government sources that are responsible for the administration of the EHVIP program. This is not Tesla's responsibility.

Rarely do companies advertise their legal disputes.

I don't consider myself a Tesla fanboy and am more than willing to call them out on their many issues but as I've mentioned in the past, they are a very young company among industry giants that have been in operation for over 100 years. They are experimenting with new ideas and concepts as they go. This is what people love about them but there will be some hiccups along the way. I believe they are dedicated to continuous improvement. I've been very impressed with my interactions.

If this is how outraged you are about Tesla, what are you doing about robbing hood Doug Ford and the PC's?

At this point I am sending them a thank you card for structuring the program the way it is and forcing me to look at the Ford Fusion Energi, which I bought for $37,000 less then my Model 3 and get to deal with a professional company

As I wait on hold to find out where my money is I hear that Tesla has added a message on their waiting loop that says refunds may take up to 45 business days, this is new from 3 weeks ago....I also challenge you to find ONE big business that would make a customer wait 45 business days which is 9 weeks!!

Well at my previous company (not massive, but close to a $1B company) our standard terms with suppliers was net 60, and sometimes they tried to push to net 90. Not trying to defend Tesla, because I do agree with your point about why would it take that long to refund, but its the nature of the business...they are keeping it longer to earn slightly more interest. Same as how my previous company tried to delay paying suppliers as long as possible. Its a shell game, nature of the beast. Welcome to capitalism :rolleyes:

Just to be clear though, I'm on your side. It shouldn't take that long.....I just know the game and am not surprised...

Hands down worst customer service experience I have ever had.

They told me tonight that my refund has been processed but they have not pushed it through.

Attached is an email I received from Tesla stating that it would be refunded in 3 weeks.

Attachments

• 505140B5-621D-4DBB-B30B-ADDC0C69CCF4.jpeg
    505140B5-621D-4DBB-B30B-ADDC0C69CCF4.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: adaptabl
Hands down worst customer service experience I have ever had.

They told me tonight that my refund has been processed but they have not pushed it through.

Attached is an email I received from Tesla stating that it would be refunded in 3 weeks.

You signed off on a non-refundable deposit and the right to a refund when you completed your vehicle order. TESLA is being ‘hands down’ generous.

Congrats Samina
What specs hav you ordered.

I ordered LR AWD Red 19" Wheels EAP FSD for crazy 84,000.00
Now sent them email to reduce it to 80,000.00 by going for standard black & 18" Aero.
Trying hard not to cancel but its getting difficult
I got a red LR RWD and ordered the 18” standard black Aero. I’m hoping it will happen before the 10th ... that’s what I’ve been told and that large shipments are expected end of August as Tesla works on quarterly timelines.

So... Ontario Government now wants the Courts to toss out Tesla’s lawsuit. Basically saying they can do whatever they want, how they want to do it and screw our constitution. If the courts do this and that is a BIG IF.... that is a big precedent to set. Now we just sit back and wait and watch.... this is going to get very very interesting

Ontario asks court to toss lawsuit from Tesla over electric vehicle rebates | CBC News

Basically saying they can do whatever they want, how they want to do it and screw our constitution.

What part of the constitution is violated? I say it will be tossed because we elect governments to make these decisions and Courts are reluctant to wade into policy matters unless malice or corruption can be shown that I don't see being in play here. But I guess we'll find out.

Discrimination is unfair and unjust (and I’m not talking of the human rights code) which is what Tesla is claiming. Courts CAN override any level of government when any law (which is superior to a policy) that is unjust or never used legal procedures. Is discrimination not a form of malice? But you are right there is no guarantee so we will wait and see how it plays out in court.

Financial Post: "The government said it decided to include only independently owned franchised dealerships in the transition funding in order to minimize negative impacts to small- or medium-sized businesses, and that such dealerships may have vehicle inventory or made orders with manufacturers that could not be returned."

What, so without a rebate no one is going to buy them?

Since when do mfg's NOT provide dealerships with inventory incentives for remaining stock? As if they want publicity that their EV/PHEV couldn't sell. The ON government are just digging a deeper hole for themselves with statements like this. I hope they are taken to task.

In my opinion, IF it doesn't get tossed, Tesla has a good case. I'm sure you're sick of reading this, but the point I've made all along is that Tesla was undoubtedly treated unfairly, but not necessarily illegally.

One thing for sure -- and I've emailed the Ombudsman as soon as I read the story -- in defense of their decision, the Province notes that it was a cabinet-level decision. The Ombudsman has no authority or power over cabinet level decisions, which means that they cannot help us. What bothers me about this is that the Ombudsman has been unable to get that information themselves. It leads me to think that the new government is not particularly interested in cooperating with oversight, even when they are within their rights to make a decision.

You signed off on a non-refundable deposit and the right to a refund when you completed your vehicle order. TESLA is being ‘hands down’ generous.

I also signed off on a car that they advertised on their website as being $14,000 cheaper. They were very quick to point out along way price is $14,000 less, the monthly payments were calculated before I clicked order with that $14,000 removed. They had no problem taking my money and telling me th $14,000 would be there (and never informed me that there was a potential it could be cancelled)

They are clearly holding out refunds to gain interest...this is not a healthy company right now, you stock price shouldn’t crash after your CEO does a TV interview.

BTW - if the case is thrown out, or Tesla loses, I'll be cancelling my order. Not even sure if the short-range version, which is due out early next year, makes sense based on my math, unless the Federal Government offers a rebate.

I’m telling you Ford Fusion Energi, great specs and enough battery for most daily commutes, unless your daily drive is pure highway more then 35KM each way then it’s a great car

Financial Post: "The government said it decided to include only independently owned franchised dealerships in the transition funding in order to minimize negative impacts to small- or medium-sized businesses, and that such dealerships may have vehicle inventory or made orders with manufacturers that could not be returned."

Since when do mfg's NOT provide dealerships with inventory incentives for remaining stock? As if they want publicity that their EV/PHEV couldn't sell. The ON government are just digging a deeper hole for themselves with statements like this. I hope they are taken to task.

Agreed, every time they react to one of Tesla's moves it's been another "oh *sugar* moment". Soon we'll have a tunnel to China without the boring company's help ;).

Also this "for the people" slogan is backfiring if you think about the people who ordered the car in good faith of his tweeted promised that all cars ordered before July 11th will be included in the rebate program.

They're every bit a citizen of Ontario as any of these dealer networks, pay the same taxes, breathe the same air, works hard to build a life in this awesome province. If he's truly for the people - he'd make policies that benefit the people (cough cough sex ed, mincome, 25 city councilors). Everything this government has done to date has been deconstructive and backwards thinking.

Not to mention that other dealers got a heads up about the program being cancelled and ordered the maximum amount of vehicles. Take my word or not but I have spoken to a few GM dealers that have confirmed this. They even said if they could've ordered more, they would have.