Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“The minister singled out Tesla for reprobation and harm without provided (sic) Tesla any opportunity to be heard or any fair process whatsoever,” Myers wrote.

However, the court will not stop limiting the transition program to franchised dealers.

“Doing that effectively reshapes the transition program and requires the government to fund subsidies to Tesla’s customers, I am not prepared to make such an order,” the ruling said.

Where did you see this? damn..

Reactions: adaptabl
“The minister singled out Tesla for reprobation and harm without provided (sic) Tesla any opportunity to be heard or any fair process whatsoever,” Myers wrote.

However, the court will not stop limiting the transition program to franchised dealers.

“Doing that effectively reshapes the transition program and requires the government to fund subsidies to Tesla’s customers, I am not prepared to make such an order,” the ruling said.
Does this mean they still may not allow Tesla to get the rebate. So, all this was to let Tesla discuss fairness but not necessarily get it?

So....the government has to pay tesla 125k to cover legal fees. Thinking about that a bit, that's some damned expensive legal help. Just as a wild guess, maybe this took about 200-300 hours to prepare and support the legal action, so that's about $400-600/ hour.

Damned lawyers for tesla MUST be millionaires! :)

Oh no! That just proves Buck-A-Beer's point o_O

Are we really just in the movie inception and this is one of Dougie-boy's dreams (nightmares)? :p
I actually thought that was cheap. Lol. I have seen some legal bills come in to work with an hourly charge of $1200 US. And our average is $700-900 an hour.

They have been ordered to make it fair. Government can't go back now and take rebates from those who bought an EV from July 11 to September 10. Can you imagine? They have no recourse but to go forward and give Tesla customers (the people who suffer more than dealerships and are not millionaires) the rebate. I can't see any other option that wouldn't make them look dumb and may end them back in court for still not being fair.

Reactions: Harrta
They have been ordered to make it fair. Government can't go back now and take rebates from those who bought an EV from July 11 to September 10. Can you imagine? They have no recourse but to go forward and give Tesla customers (the people who suffer more than dealerships and are not millionaires) the rebate. I can't see any other option that wouldn't make them look dumb and may end them back in court for still not being fair.

This will be the interesting part to see how they respond. I'm sure they will be spending a lot of time (and taxpayer money) looking at this and formulating a plan of action that attempts to minimize their political damage yet doesn't invite further action from Tesla.

If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see further action.

I just got my tedla wall charger and am installing it soon... can i now get a credit for this?... stilll waiting for the dual motor..ordered jun 27

I dont think this has anything to do with the wall charger rebate program, as there was never a question about it's cancellation being 'fair' and singling out one manufacturer vs another. I do believe you can still return it to Tesla if you dont want to keep it though...

The government has worked themselves into a corner. With their draconian method they enacted a policy that was clearly discriminatory with no good explanation. They thought they could get away with it and the court said No. Their best coarse of action is to simply treat all manufacturers equal and allow the rebate for all EV purchases including Tesla.

If they had actually studied the situation and came up with a better policy at the start they may have avoid this mess to begin with. It's clear that EV rebates are a good thing. Cancelling them in the first place was dumb. Excluding Tesla was even dumber. Now they have embarrassed themselves.

My guess is that they will come out with a statement saying while they might not agree with the court's decision they will abide by it and alter the policy so there is no contention. It's the path of least resistance.

Curious about my particular situation now.

I bought on June 19th and because of the cancelled rebate, I cancelled my order three weeks ago but didn't get my refund cheque yet. Is there any possibility at all to continue my order and still qualify for the rebate? I really wanted the car, but was going to wait for AWD Standard Range.

Thoughts?

• Disagree

I bought on June 19th and because of the cancelled rebate, I cancelled my order three weeks ago but didn't get my refund cheque yet. Is there any possibility at all to continue my order and still qualify for the rebate? I really wanted the car, but was going to wait for AWD Standard Range.

Thoughts?

Only Tesla knows if they can reinstate your order so best to call them. I suspect the answer is “no” but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Also, there is no guarantee regarding rebates as we don’t know what the government is going to do about the phase out period yet. They said they are going to figure out a response in the next few days.

This government has a huge chip on its shoulders about "millionaire Tesla owners". This is only going to make that worse and no doubt they've laughed over dollar-beers last night. Now I think they'll just re-issue the wind-down notice without the franchise dealer wording and say that anything delivered by the September date qualifies. They know the damage is already done on the Tesla side with many orders cancelled and they've given their dealership business buddies a boost in sales of Leaf/Bolt/Volt. I'd say they're not too unhappy.

Just for icing on the cake I'm sure the Doug or one of his cronies will come out saying they'd been bullied by the lawyers of the "billionaire Tesla execs", most voters will grumble even more about Tesla and this will all blow over in a couple of weeks when they maybe issue a few more $14k incentives than they would have but nowhere near the number if they hadn't forced all the cancellations.

I don't expect even a single ounce of repentance, respect for the law or respect for us "millionaire" voters. As for climate change, it doesn't even get a look in now it's on the ON Gov banned words list!

Thoughts?

I would say its unlikely...even if Tesla re-instated your order, and back-dated your order date to before July 11th, you would have to take delivery before sept 10th....which basically means your exact configuration car would already have to be produced, and on a truck coming up here, or on a lot physically here.

Is it possible Tesla gambled and sent a whole whack of RWD cars up betting they could match them to an owner before the rebate deadline of sept 10th? Yes, that's possible, but I dont think you'll get a straight answer from Tesla on this. Plus we are still waiting to hear how the government will respond to the ruling. It looks like they have no choice, but you can never trust a snake....

I would think if you made an order now with Tesla you would be risking a fair bit....if you are really thinking SR AWD will suit your needs, I would recommend waiting for that. Moving to the SR battery and also not having the premium interior will probably save more money than the rebate 'IF' you got it.

My $0.02....

Reactions: akaluana
I would say its unlikely...even if Tesla re-instated your order, and back-dated your order date to before July 11th, you would have to take delivery before sept 10th....which basically means your exact configuration car would already have to be produced, and on a truck coming up here, or on a lot physically here.

Is it possible Tesla gambled and sent a whole whack of RWD cars up betting they could match them to an owner before the rebate deadline of sept 10th? Yes, that's possible, but I dont think you'll get a straight answer from Tesla on this. Plus we are still waiting to hear how the government will respond to the ruling. It looks like they have no choice, but you can never trust a snake....

I would think if you made an order now with Tesla you would be risking a fair bit....if you are really thinking SR AWD will suit your needs, I would recommend waiting for that. Moving to the SR battery and also not having the premium interior will probably save more money than the rebate 'IF' you got it.

My $0.02....

If the ONT gov't were to respond to the court decision by reverting anything back to treat Tesla customers "fairly", shouldn't they account for ALL ontarians (including those who cancelled) who were affected? If Tesla agrees to re-instate the order, shouldn't the rebate deadline to have vehicle plated be extended?

Has anyone been in contact with Tesla and know of any plans to fulfill the September 10th deadline for orders before July 11th? Still waiting in the dark with no word about a car or VIN. Is the time frame too short now? I will be awfully upset if someone who ordered after me receives their car before the deadline and i don't .

• Disagree
Has anyone been in contact with Tesla and know of any plans to fulfill the September 10th deadline for orders before July 11th? Still waiting in the dark with no word about a car or VIN. Is the time frame too short now? I will be awfully upset if someone who ordered after me receives their car before the deadline and i don't .

I already know a lot people got their VIN with their order date way after mine ! What can we do ? I almost calling them everyday but no one can tell what's going on ???

Reactions: Iggy663
If the ONT gov't were to respond to the court decision by reverting anything back to treat Tesla customers "fairly", shouldn't they account for ALL ontarians (including those who cancelled) who were affected? If Tesla agrees to re-instate the order, shouldn't the rebate deadline to have vehicle plated be extended?

From the Tesla standpoint, yes....but then I would think one could argue that was then 'unfair' to the other EV manufacturers. I have believed all along this exclusion of tesla was mostly about cost containment/savings, so I doubt they will extend the deadline for Tesla, especially if it also meant more EVs from other mfgs got the rebate too.

Plus, if they really go through the whole month of sept and allow all telsa deliveries to get rebates, that will be a huge amount. I believe they delivered about 1,800 teslas last June when they rented the international centre....that's 25 million. I highly doubt they will be willing to pony up that kind of cash.....even though there is still a huge surplus letover from cap and trade that wasn't spent yet....