Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the judges decision was worded in such a way as to make an appeal highly unlikely and would only be viewed as being outright combative on many fronts including those innocently caught up in all this. Losing an appeal would set the stage for all those who follow.

Reading the government's defence, they threw everything but the kitchen sink into it. Tesla's application was super tight and brief. The gov't reply was very lengthy. They mentioned tons of irrelevant stuff in it -- Tesla has had trouble hitting their production targets, only recently started shipping etc. I imagine the judge didn't appreciate the obfuscation.

Made me think it must be tough to be a gov't lawyer -- you're forced to defend sometimes indefensible political decisions, leading to lots of losses on your CV. Compared to private sector lawyers who get to pick and choose what they're given.

R

I'm not so sure....this is from the verdict....
emedy
[65]
Tesla asks that I set aside the limitation of the transition program to franchised dealers.However, doing that effectively re-shapes the transition program and requires the government to
fund subsidies to Tesla’s customers. I am not prepared to make such an order
. The government’s
counsel argues that the inclusion of only franchised dealers is part and parcel and inextricably intertwined with the terms implemented to construct the transition program. I agree
. If thegovernment wants to transition out of the electric car subsidy program, the Minister must exercisehis operational discretion in a lawful manner. He has yet to do so. I therefore quash and set asidethe Ministe
r’s
unlawful exercises of discretion to implement the transition program announcedJuly 11, 2018 (as amended by its letter to Tesla of the same date and further amended in the

Allow me to summarize what he wrote:

First: Tesla asked him to rewrite the transition plan to include Tesla customers. He is not willing to do that. Per the previous 16 pages, he explained why: it is beyond the scope of the judiciary to interfere in such a way. He cannot dictate policy.

Second: the province argued that the inclusion of franchise dealerships was a key component of their transition plan. He agreed. Per the previous 16 pages, and especially the previous paragraph, he laid out how excluding Tesla was unfair, discriminatory, and unlawful. Thus, because a key component of the transition plan was unlawful, he threw out the entire thing and instructed the province to make a new one.

He did this specifically because it is not in his power to erase a line from the transition plan. It is in his power to garbage it, however, which is what happened.

At this point, I am almost entirely certain that we will be getting the rebate.

Good summary of the case in The Ottawa Citizen today, and parallels to equally misinformed policy moves by the Ford government:

Reevely: Ontario's loss on Tesla rebates shows hazard of governing by B.S.

upload_2018-8-28_17-14-48.png

First time poster here, I officially canceled on Thursday the 23rd and immediately regret it after seeing the news yesterday. I wish I had more time to see the results after the lawsuit. Tesla did us a favor by allowing us to get a full refund even after a confirmed order. The only part is I wish they allowed refunds even after a VIN was assigned.

Dec 29 2017 - Initial Reservation Payment
Jun 29 - Placed official order - LR / RWD / Obsidian Black Metallic
Aug 8 - Called in to start cancellation Process
Aug 21 - E-mail from Delivery Advisor that car was out of production
Aug 23 - Advisor called about the credit application, I brought up I already started the cancellation process. They gave me the option to change my mind as I could get the car next month.
Aug 28 - E-mailed the DA stating I changed my mind - Responded back via E-mail stating the order was already canceled. The DA was a nice guy, even gave me a call and explained the VIN was already reassigned.

First time poster here, I officially canceled on Thursday the 23rd and immediately regret it after seeing the news yesterday. I wish I had more time to see the results after the lawsuit....

I really didn't have much faith in a judge ruling in favor of Tesla, especially after the 'Beer without boarders' debacle, where the courts incorrectly ruled it's illegal to bring beer from Quebec into Ontario. Anyways, since Tesla won this verdict, maybe their next lawsuit could be for the people who cancelled their orders to re-order and still be eligible for the rebate. You never know!

Go wait by your mailbox for your refund, whining on here won't speed it up or change the fact that you are lucky to get it back at all.
They hadn’t opened sales to any other country then Canada. It’s not some crazy conspiracy theory I came up with, it’s plastered all over this site and many others. And again I understand why they did it.

So in going with the theory that they “knew” that rebate was coming to an end, why did they continue to advertise the rebate on the website. Why did the sales agents at both Yorkdale and Oakville say that I would be eligible to get them (2nd week of June)

I agree it’s an amazing car and amazing engineering. I spent nearly an hour in a showroom in Dallas admiring one. And would have loved to have one. Just not impressed at all by the business practices of the company.[/QUOT

You think Dougie sneaks out for 4am drives with his friends Tesla? No-one but him and his friend know he's got the extra key card! And he wears a ski mask while driving so as to not be recognized.

So we should all keep watch for a super fat guy with a ski mask driving a Tesla at 4am in Etobicoke.

Lol, best part about that visual is that it's an EV, so he will be silent driving down the street at 4am, like a fat little ninja troll :)

Go wait by your mailbox for your refund, whining on here won't speed it up or change the fact that you are lucky to get it back at all.

Wow you’re a real joy to be around aren’t you.

Feel real lucky to have canceled my order because Tesla never communicated ANYTHING to us 500 affected people about what is happening. And then in the meantime find out that they decided to sue the govt and seemingly won potentially making my now cancelled order eligible for the rebate.

Last edited:
Lets just imagine that say on Aug 1 Tesla decided to send the following email out to the 500 people who were affected.....

"Dear Tesla Customer,

As you may have seen in the media, the Ontario PC Government has cancelled the EHVIP program effective July 11. Other car companies have been provided a "wind down" period until Sep 10, however Tesla was not included in this Wind Down period and currently any Tesla not delivered will no longer be eligible for the $14,000 rebate.

We are currently reviewing this decision with our legal team and hope to have an answer to you our valued customers in the coming days/weeks.

In the meantime we can provide the following information
-We will fight on your behalf, at this point we are unsure what channel we will be able to use but please be assured we are doing everything we can for our customers who we feel were unfairly targeted. Please be patient with us as we explore our options as we hope to be able to fight for you our customers

-If you would like a refund we would extend this courtesy to those who ordered an eligible LR RWD before July 11 who as of now would no longer be eligible for the rebate. Please contact us and we will assist you with this process. Once your vehicle has been built and assigned a VIN you will need to make a decision to proceed or cancel. We will reach out to you at this point and provide this information.

Unfortunately this situation is out of control but please be assured that we are doing everything we can or you the Customer"

What would have been wrong with that...…...actually having a single voice communication with the affected customers.

Wow you’re a real joy to be around aren’t you.

Feel real lucky to have canceled my order because Tesla never communicated ANYTHING to us 500 affected people about what is happening. And then in the meantime find out that they decided to sue the govt and seemingly won potentially making my now cancelled order eligible for the rebate.
You're being completely unfair. Tesla has no crystal ball. They did not know the outcome. Heck, they still don't know the outcome. What would you have like them to have told you?

Lets just imagine that say on Aug 1 Tesla decided to send the following email out to the 500 people who were affected.....

"Dear Tesla Customer,

As you may have seen in the media, the Ontario PC Government has cancelled the EHVIP program effective July 11. Other car companies have been provided a "wind down" period until Sep 10, however Tesla was not included in this Wind Down period and currently any Tesla not delivered will no longer be eligible for the $14,000 rebate.

We are currently reviewing this decision with our legal team and hope to have an answer to you our valued customers in the coming days/weeks.

In the meantime we can provide the following information
-We will fight on your behalf, at this point we are unsure what channel we will be able to use but please be assured we are doing everything we can for our customers who we feel were unfairly targeted. Please be patient with us as we explore our options as we hope to be able to fight for you our customers

-If you would like a refund we would extend this courtesy to those who ordered an eligible LR RWD before July 11 who as of now would no longer be eligible for the rebate. Please contact us and we will assist you with this process. Once your vehicle has been built and assigned a VIN you will need to make a decision to proceed or cancel. We will reach out to you at this point and provide this information.

Unfortunately this situation is out of control but please be assured that we are doing everything we can or you the Customer"

What would have been wrong with that...…...actually having a single voice communication with the affected customers.

You wanted a form letter lol?

• Disagree
Reactions: jkirkwood001