Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There we have it...MTO has updated the site!!!!
  • Eligible vehicles were delivered, registered, and plated on or before July 11th; or,
  • Eligible vehicles were on dealer lots in Ontario, or on order by dealers or by customers directly from manufacturers on or before July 11th, and delivered to customers, registered and plated on or before September 10, 2018. These vehicles must be on the ministry approved order list from dealers and manufacturers.
  • Applications must be submitted within 90 days of vehicle registration, plating and delivery.
Victory for Tesla!

I won't pretend to know your driving situation at home and I seriously hope everyone who can does get the rebate, but I think most should consider getting the car either way. We are a 2 car family with 3 kids, in 3 months I have put close to 8000km on the 3 and almost no gas in our van. We use the car as the preferred daily driver and are really seeing the savings, I figure every 1000 km is $100 in my pocket. I'm not fooling myself ,I know it will never pay for the car but I am driving a very nice vehicle at an affordable price . Losing the rebate when it is so close is definitely a kick in the teeth but doesn't have to be a deal breaker. I also talked to someone the other day who said he is getting $200 a rental on turo, I don't think I would enjoy watching my car drive away with a stranger but it is an option .

Not sure how anyone disagrees with this post, even disagreeabl himself.

I mean really, a statement about shifting usage to a 0 carbon ride, a realistic, in fact quite conservative savings estimate compared to driving a van; an acknowledgement of self awareness that he'll never pay for the 3 from his savings while comparing the enjoyment of driving a 3; a comment about renting it out... disagree with what exactly.
Maybe disagree that someone is content, or even possibly happy about a decision to go ahead.
Good for you @Harrta, I hope your ride gives you hundreds of thousands of enjoyable KM ahead.

Tesla routed a lot of the cars that were headed to Ontario away from Toronto once this news was released. I'm surprised there hasn't been a time extension to the September 10th deadline...

The PCs did the bare minimum to satisfy the judge's ruling. Offering an extended grace period to Tesla would look really bad on them toward the base supporters and dealership insiders.

Reactions: Ludatik
Congrats everyone, I really didn't believe it was going to happen.
I think that the minister stating "except tesla" in his comment was the asteroid for the dinosaurs that brought it all down on them, but they deserve it.
Now lets hope the Class action on the Mincome program is successful, because as nice as it is that many will be getting $14K for their Teslas, in the great scheme of things, those folks who were part of the Mincome truly need to be supported.

Nice. While I’m happy for all of you that kept your orders and can now qualify for the rebate, truly I’m ecstatic for you, I’m going to cry now for my loss.

Damn you Ford. Damn you and your buck-a-beer. Let’s all got stoned and drunk while the earth spirals into a climate changing hell hole. Priorities mate.

Well, it’s only a temporary setback. Just have to save for a few years more.

Congrats again folks! :)

This gives only ten days for Tesla to react, ship cars our way and deliver 100 cars though... that hardly seems fair.

Looks like Tesla did react internally without informing the customers who were affected by the PCs policy. Another forum user posted they had their order cancellation confirmed and then the same cancellation put on hold. A account manager with high level of information had kept the production order in place even if the end customer cancelled.

The ironic part is that same user is now stuck with a BMW M2 order and has the option to keep the TM3 order. Either way, there's a white M3 destined for Ontario that may or may not qualify for the rebate.