Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize to everyone else for my previous rant. Moral bankruptcy just drives me insane. I travel all over the world for my job, and mostly to the places people don’t goto for a vacation. We’re all pretty lucky we can even have a discussion about whether we can afford a Tesla or not, and to try and extort money from someone because you bought a BMW and not a a Tesla is just, insane to me.
Don't apologize. We all feel the same. Now if he decided that that money was to go to a charity with proof I wouldn't be so annoyed. One year I bought a toy and decided no longer wanted it but it was a popular toy. So I had the buyer pay me what I paid for it and send the difference to a childhood cancer charity in their name. They got the favored toy and a tax receipt. That's fair. I felt guilty making a profit but that's just me

• Disagree
Reactions: Burlburt and pcons
You're right, it does say that now. However in the original posting on the site before the cancellation of the program I don't think that it was that clear. I am certain that the 75k price was the primary rule. People bought based on that version and not this "updated" one.

There was never any interpretation of rules necessary. This is and was the list of eligible vehicles:
Eligible Electric Vehicles

Reactions: Vitold
I apologize to everyone else for my previous rant. Moral bankruptcy just drives me insane. I travel all over the world for my job, and mostly to the places people don’t goto for a vacation. We’re all pretty lucky we can even have a discussion about whether we can afford a Tesla or not, and to try and extort money from someone because you bought a BMW and not a a Tesla is just, insane to me.

Absolutely no need to apologize, you were spot on.

Don't apologize. We all feel the same. Now if he decided that that money was to go to a charity with proof I wouldn't be so annoyed. One year I bought a toy and decided no longer wanted it but it was a popular toy. So I had the buyer pay me what I paid for it and send the difference to a childhood cancer charity in their name. They got the favored toy and a tax receipt. That's fair. I felt guilty making a profit but that's just me

Was thinking exactly the same thing, wouldn't it be nice if instead of trying to capitalize on a random mistake by Tesla in not cancelling the order properly, he were to say, donate to something else green, or to someone else that has been wronged by the Dinosaurs of Queen's Park, like the fight for Mincome victims.
But this attitude is exactly how people like Doug Ford win leadership races and then elections... It's all about me, to hell with anyone else or the planet.

@jules_78th ... Karma is truly a bitch and you won't really understand that until you taste it in your mouth, and you will.
If you choose to do the right thing, good will come of it.

That would be awesome, and I see your logic, but I'm still very doubtful. The lawsuit was successful because Tesla was treated differently from other manufacturers. But in this case other manufacturers did not have their cars added either, so there is no discrimination there.

Part of the wind down rules said only cars on the list are eligible, and that is applied uniformly. You do however have a good point about those who went AWD because they thought the rebate was gone for RWD...

That's exactly my situation. I ordered before the election, but figured I would not get the RWD before the rebates were cancelled so I spent the extra ~5k for AWD. If I could go back and get RWD + rebate, would I? 100%.... But I think that ship has sailed.
I'm in the same situation now. Just gimme my AWD!:p

Would not a judge now rule that the new wording is still discriminatory in Tesla's favour as there are the orders now cancelled and the orders now changed to awd which will now quallify if only the spirit of the process was heeded? The timeline for the rebate would have to extend for the amount of time that was in limbo, say from July 10 or 11 until the date of the ruling ~Aug 27?? The gov't would also have to allow the real process of "approval" to be granted to the awd version, however much they would not want that to occur...just like in BC! Not sure if QC has ruled yet. This likely applies to the 2019 cars from GM etc.as well.
Tesla will hopefully be pursuing something along this line, as their business has been negatively impacted significantly by the GO in their undue haste to end the many Cap & Trade programs.
All people of the Province, including all us "millionaires" are still equal under the law, no?

That would be awesome, and I see your logic, but I'm still very doubtful. The lawsuit was successful because Tesla was treated differently from other manufacturers. But in this case other manufacturers did not have their cars added either, so there is no discrimination there.

Part of the wind down rules said only cars on the list are eligible, and that is applied uniformly. You do however have a good point about those who went AWD because they thought the rebate was gone for RWD...

That's exactly my situation. I ordered before the election, but figured I would not get the RWD before the rebates were cancelled so I spent the extra ~5k for AWD. If I could go back and get RWD + rebate, would I? 100%.... But I think that ship has sailed.

I had reached out to a contact in Fremont the other day but they were not prepared to give any feedback of a legal nature. As you might imagine, Tesla has learned over the years to play their cards very closely (except for Elon's rants which I'm sure drives them crazy). There was no indication that anything further is being discussed or pursued. Doesn't mean there isn't but if there is, they don't appear to be willing to say so.

I think at this stage, Tesla will probably be mindful of their perfect batting average and be reluctant to then delve into the muddier waters of any legal reprise for those who ordered AWD or just felt pressured to cancel.

Judge Fred Myers declared that “While everyone’s rights could possibly be vindicated by damages claims in the fullness of time, lawsuits for $14,000 are uneconomical, will take too long, and will cause harm and distress that in my view would amount to a failure of justice as compared to simply resolving the matter…”

My question is, who is "everyone" and why does he think he's resolving this entire matter in this broad, sweeping statement? The use of "rights" speaks to the discrimination he ruled in favor of. Just because you cancelled or ordered AWD doesn't mean your rights were any less discriminated against.

Pretty sure no one would touch this as a class action but kinda waffling on whether a small claims court action should be pursued or not. Perhaps it would have some potential as I think about it further.

My question is, who is "everyone" and why does he think he's resolving this entire matter in this broad, sweeping statement? The use of "rights" speaks to the discrimination he ruled in favor of. Just because you cancelled or ordered AWD doesn't mean your rights were any less discriminated against.

Pretty sure no one would touch this as a class action but kinda waffling on whether a small claims court action should be pursued or not. Perhaps it would have some potential as I think about it further.

Spot on. I am thinking the exact same thing..

• Love
Reactions: Krakhaus
Happened to be in the area so I drove by the Tesla service center in Oakville today and there were quite a few new Model 3s on the lot. None of them seemed to be AWD.

A week or so ago, I was near there and noticed he lot was almost empty. So it seems a new shipment came in

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
Happened to be in the area so I drove by the Tesla service center in Oakville today and there were quite a few new Model 3s on the lot. None of them seemed to be AWD.

A week or so ago, I was near there and noticed he lot was almost empty. So it seems a new shipment came in

Yes there was at least a dozen and all had written deliveries for next week. I picked up mine today at 11am...Typically would be a great day but came home and immediately had to take my dog to the emergency vet.

Got a call from Tesla yesterday afternoon, picking up car Friday. Hopefully good news for the other people on this forum who ordered in early June, late May. Ordered June 9th. I think Tesla is doing everything they can to fill all the orders made before July 11th.
Well

My account has changed. No edit design and finance details filled and approved this morning. Fingers crossed. Plus I sent some emails yesterday to Tesla expressing concern. I may have been a little coarse. More than just a little. I may have to take it back. Frustrating roller coaster just to by a car. Encouraging to see things in account changing. Especially at all hours of the day. Even over night.

It’s encouraging to hear that Tesla appears to be doing everything they can to get RWD cars delivered by Sep 10. I know they aren’t the greatest at communication but it does sound like things are happening behind the scenes, perhaps frantically, to ensure that buyers that are eligible will qualify for the rebate. I am anxiously awaiting my delivery this coming Friday.

It’s encouraging to hear that Tesla appears to be doing everything they can to get RWD cars delivered by Sep 10. I know they aren’t the greatest at communication but it does sound like things are happening behind the scenes, perhaps frantically, to ensure that buyers that are eligible will qualify for the rebate. I am anxiously awaiting my delivery this coming Friday.
Not for those who cancelled because some Tesla reps would not permit waiting on the results of the lawsuit

Reactions: Abrew2014
I truly hope everyone gets their deliveries. The province kind of put Tesla under a barrel - I suppose I can understand their not wanting to ship more cars before they were sure that everyone who ordered was actually going to buy them, but I really hope they can pull this off for everyone who ordered a RWD. I know a lot of people who ordered around the time I did - June 17 - who look as though they are going to miss the deadline.