Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on Summon for my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pro tip: don't set the allowed gaps to smaller than default until you know you need to; the wider the gaps, the better it will do at
positioning the car in the middle of the available space (and the less likely it is to end up at an angle). Keep in mind that, contrary to
what some people seem to believe, the car has no idea of a "destination" -- it is simply trying to go forward, avoiding obstacles.

Reactions: Karen in MN
Here is our garage. The Model S replaced a second i3 which was a lot narrower. Sometimes I park on the left, sometimes on the right, depending on who gets home first. It makes it possible to get the Model S out without first getting the car on the left since we can only open one door.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Here is our garage. The Model S replaced a second i3 which was a lot narrower. Sometimes I park on the left, sometimes on the right, depending on who gets home first. It makes it possible to get the Model S out without first getting the car on the left since we can only open one door.

Thanks for sharing. That is a very tight spot. I really cleaned up my garage for next weeks delivery, so I am sure that it will be fine.

Btw, nice color, Midnight silver? That is the color I picked.

My garage door opening is only 82.5" wide. With the mirrors folded I have about 2 inches on each side. It is a bit nerve wracking parking in my garage as is. Do you think Summon (when AP2 actually gets it) will park or will it balk at having to negotiate a narrow opening? Note that my garage is actually 25 feet wide but the doors are separated by a brick pillar. I could probably store 4 cars in there. Also note that length is not an issue as it is 15 feet long.

My garage door opening is only 82.5" wide. With the mirrors folded I have about 2 inches on each side. It is a bit nerve wracking parking in my garage as is. Do you think Summon (when AP2 actually gets it) will park or will it balk at having to negotiate a narrow opening? Note that my garage is actually 25 feet wide but the doors are separated by a brick pillar. I could probably store 4 cars in there. Also note that length is not an issue as it is 15 feet long.

The Model S is about 16' 4" in length, not going to fit in a 15' long garage. Hopefully you meant a different length garage.

If you pull it in so that the mirrors will pass through, then it can easily complete the parking. I think it's something you'll have to try if the car were completely outside the garage.

The Model S is about 16' 4" in length, not going to fit in a 15' long garage. Hopefully you meant a different length garage.

If you pull it in so that the mirrors will pass through, then it can easily complete the parking. I think it's something you'll have to try if the car were completely outside the garage.

Sorry, I meant 25 feet long. I have at least 4 feet in front and behind me when I park. I could pull it to the mirrors but then I might as well complete the parking job myself (once in the garage, unlike most the videos posted, I can easily open the doors and get in or out). The issue, for me, is that the opening is very narrow and its difficult to get a clear sight line to the front edges of the car (the wheel wells stick out enough and the A pillar blocks my view). The ultrasonic sensors really help but I'd rather the car do it automagically. I will report in once Summon is given to AP2 (I fully expect summon+ to do this or AP2 would be a failure in my mind).

Again, wow! That's more than I thought Summon could do. Some of these examples ought to shut up the people who dismiss it as
nothing more than a parlor trick.

When you Summon back out, does the car wind up straight in the driveway or at some wonky angle?

When you Summon back out, does the car wind up straight in the driveway or at some wonky angle?
It goes straight out for me. Sometimes if it's in at a slight angle, it will pull out and then straighten. I'm not sure how it's judging if it's in straight or not. I imagine AP 2 will be even better. I read Elon said it would be able to pull out, turn, and meet you at your front door.

I'm not sure how it's judging if it's in straight or not.
It has no notion of "straight" other than "continuing in the direction it started in". I.e., no absolute idea of "straight".

Elon said it would be able to pull out, turn, and meet you at your front door
Man, I hope not! My front door is nowhere near my driveway/garage, so doing so would entail driving over all sorts of planters and stuff,
not to mention up multiple 4-6" steps. I appreciate the eager effort, but, thanks but no thanks! ;)

It goes straight out for me. Sometimes if it's in at a slight angle, it will pull out and then straighten. I'm not sure how it's judging if it's in straight or not. I imagine AP 2 will be even better. I read Elon said it would be able to pull out, turn, and meet you at your front door.
He sure did. Just look at this Tesla Motors web site archive from April 2015: Model S | Tesla Motors