Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered 3/25 and build is set for mid April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do yourself a favor and put your current insurance in. You need to have a vin on your insurance but a SA told me to put SOMETHING current in so they know you can easily transfer and can have current insurance.
No can do! There is a specific page that comes up that states insurance image must show VIN# for Model Y except in these states:... Florida is not one of them. Then it says in these states you may enter your current insurance IF it will be in effect for 60-90 days. My current insurance is up for renewal in 30 days. My advisor says I have to wait for the VIN# before Tesla will take the next step in Florida.

Do these delays have anything to do with the chip shortages?
They have to many orders. Also last weeks of each quarters they want to deliver as much cars as they can so most going to states close to California and from California. Now they will fill out orders not delivered in Q1. For new orders delivery time is updated to 5-9 weeks.

Last edited:
First time ordering a Tesla and I ordered a MY LR AWD in MSM/White/5seat/Tow Hitch/Gemini. I originally had a date of 3/31 but it suddenly disappeared and I still haven't received a vin yet. I reached out to a SA in Fremont because I don't have one assigned to me and the lady told me that my build was pushed back due to nothing available. She said I am looking at a mid April build and probably a late April delivery. I am taking this with a grain of salt because SAs always assume and rarely ever have facts. I'm surprised I wasn't pushed in before the end of Q1. I also thought that cars in the beginning of Q2 are shipped overseas. Is Tesla doing that differently now or should I still expect a June/July delivery?
My SA actually told me a similar timeframe, I ordered early March and I asked him as people getting their VIN left and right but me and he said expect to hear something mid April. So sounds like there's a production coming mid April. But who knows.

Online inventory was tracking around 1000 model Ys for the last week or two. Now showing 175 nationwide (started around 500 this morning I think). I think a lot of orders are being fulfilled since they might be slowing/stopping model Y production now that the end of quarter push is over. People who don't want to wait, SR orders being converted, etc.

First time ordering a Tesla and I ordered a MY LR AWD in MSM/White/5seat/Tow Hitch/Gemini. I originally had a date of 3/31 but it suddenly disappeared and I still haven't received a vin yet. I reached out to a SA in Fremont because I don't have one assigned to me and the lady told me that my build was pushed back due to nothing available. She said I am looking at a mid April build and probably a late April delivery. I am taking this with a grain of salt because SAs always assume and rarely ever have facts. I'm surprised I wasn't pushed in before the end of Q1. I also thought that cars in the beginning of Q2 are shipped overseas. Is Tesla doing that differently now or should I still expect a June/July delivery?

I’d rather not order a car during the quarter rush. That is where mistakes happen. I’m waiting to order in mid April.

I ordered 03/25 LR 5 white/black 19” no hitch. Got loan approval same day and sent insurance info. Zero communication from Tesla here. No emails or calls. I’m in Canada if that matters.
I think that's pretty normal. I ordered it on 3/10, only ever received 1 welcome email and nothing ever since. It's always been me reaching out to them asking for status or why my trade in is stuck and etc. They've never reached out to me for any updates.

I really don't understand why with existing technology they can't provide buyers exact date of manufacturing a car. And the change time of delivery, 1-10 weeks, than 4-8 weeks, then nothing and again 1-10 weeks. And for new orders is 5-9 weeks.

I really don't understand why with existing technology they can't provide buyers exact date of manufacturing a car. And the change time of delivery, 1-10 weeks, than 4-8 weeks, then nothing and again 1-10 weeks. And for new orders is 5-9 weeks.
They can provide you with the exact date, you just have to ask. Usually they confirm after production but we were told 2 days ago our car would be produced today and delivered Saturday. Shipped to closest store tomorrow and prepped for delivery to our house Saturday.

If you haven’t heard anything since ordering online, call your closest store and check on your delivery status. You’ll get hooked up with a SA and they can be your entry into all you want to know about your car if you get a good one.

What bugs me is my config. is stating 1-10 weeks on my order page and yet there are two exact models sitting in inventory in San Diego and 1 in Los Angeles. They just appeared tonight. My guess is they were shipped since my order date for inventory and not to me. I must be missing something or was there an order for these and the buyer backed out, now they enter inventory?

It seems like I timed my purchase completely wrong. I have a BMW lease that’s due to be returned at the end of April and I was planning on ordering a Y this weekend. Sounds like I’ll be without a car for a few weeks.
You are within 3-4 hours of the factory so the likelihood of you getting a car when you want are pretty good. At least you’d be within the $500 shipping range of a stock vehicle in LA, SD or SF area.

What bugs me is my config. is stating 1-10 weeks on my order page and yet there are two exact models sitting in inventory in San Diego and 1 in Los Angeles. They just appeared tonight. My guess is they were shipped since my order date for inventory and not to me. I must be missing something or was there an order for these and the buyer backed out, now they enter inventory?
Yes, some one ordered and backed out before delivery. Tesla does not purposefully make cars for inventory, that is not their model.

• Informative
Reactions: TravelFree