Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that note I would like to find a location and set the sat nav to it from my phone like most modern cars do.

Actually, a reasonable work around to this is to list your destinations in your calendar on your phone. I sync my calendar with the car so when I get in the car, I get a list of destinations for the day and just hit the one I'm going to. Not perfect, but workable.

• The display is unacceptably slow and hasn't been updated since the car was released in 2012. For what this vehicle costs, and given the target demographic, something in the ballpark of Android smoothness is a reasonable expectation.
  • The navigation system is abominable.

I agree the display is sub-par but it is not really "bad", and I have to disagree on the navigation.

The navigation may not be the best, but it is certainly far from "abominable." It makes mistakes once in awhile, but generally I find it to be quite usable. i use it constantly. My spouse's Garmin is supposed to be very good, but it makes errors, too, and is terribly slow to "acquire satellites," much slower than the Model S system is. When i have done comparisons to Google maps on our phones, the Tesla system and Google have not disagreed, or not by much, and a lot of the differences can be accounted for by the settings. Again, I agree not perfect, but would not make my "hate" list, for sure. I would hate if I did not have it and needed to rely on a tiny screen on a phone or GPS unit, for sure!

Reactions: Puggle and Jashev
I agree the display is sub-par but it is not really "bad", and I have to disagree on the navigation.

The navigation may not be the best, but it is certainly far from "abominable." It makes mistakes once in awhile, but generally I find it to be quite usable. i use it constantly. My spouse's Garmin is supposed to be very good, but it makes errors, too, and is terribly slow to "acquire satellites," much slower than the Model S system is. When i have done comparisons to Google maps on our phones, the Tesla system and Google have not disagreed, or not by much, and a lot of the differences can be accounted for by the settings. Again, I agree not perfect, but would not make my "hate" list, for sure. I would hate if I did not have it and needed to rely on a tiny screen on a phone or GPS unit, for sure!
I've actually had similar experiences with the Tesla Navigation. There have been a couple of times where it has routed me in a really strange way, and I thought it has to be wrong, so I ignored it and went the way I thought was best. But in the end, the navigation was routing be around bad traffic. This has happened to me several times, so now I just say to myself "Learn to trust the Tesla" and follow the nav more often then not. If I'm really worried, I double check with Google maps on the phone, and as you mentioned, it usually matches.

I hate how I do not know how to disconnect my charger... I had to try multiple time every day... maybe I am not doing it right o_O
Yeah it can be confusing.

This is for the refreshed port (Oct 16 onwards?)

Green is charging (and pulsing at a rate that reflects the kW rate going in).
White is ready to be removed/connected.
Blue is engaged and locked, not charging. Sometimes it will also display as blue if it is charging but the car is locked. Privacy feature I guess.
Red/orange is bad. Faulty connection. Not pushed in all the way.

When port is blue, a simple press of the button on the connector (at the end of the cable) will disable the lock and you can remove.

However when port is charging (green) a single press will stop the charging momentarily, will not unlock the connector, and the charging will resume after a few seconds. In this instance you should hold the button down until charging stops, the connector unlocks, and the port turns white. Takes 2ish seconds.

I love the car but .....

I miss having some sort of storage in the doors.

I miss having an obvious place to put coins (I know the cup holders work but I usually fill them.

The storage compartment where the gear shift would normally be is spacious but difficult to get into the back part because of the sliding lid.

Maybe its just me but I do not see traffic build ups on the navigator map.

Calendar syncing seems erratic.

May be nice to see view of other cameras rather than just the rear one.

It is crazy that there is nowhere to hang a jacket.

Strange not to have an arm rest between the rear seats (with storage in it).

None of these things make me hate the car. I love it.

Reactions: tmoz
I am incredibly annoyed that I struggle to get 8k miles out of a set of rear tires (staggered, so no rotating). Mind you that this is with no aggressive driving. Early on I found out by visual inspection because they would wear on the insides all the way down to the steel belting. Now, the first warning of low pressure on the dash lets me know that my wallet is being sucked open for another premature set of rear tires :mad:

I agree on the navigation part. I think it's actually a pretty good nav system compared to most vehicles. I haven't noticed anything bad about it but I also do not use it a ton. The only thing I've noticed is when in bad cell coverage it can be slow to reload.

I am incredibly annoyed that I struggle to get 8k miles out of a set of rear tires (staggered, so no rotating). Mind you that this is with no aggressive driving. Early on I found out by visual inspection because they would wear on the insides all the way down to the steel belting. Now, the first warning of low pressure on the dash lets me know that my wallet is being sucked open for another premature set of rear tires :mad:
I got over 38,000 on the first set of tires. You must be doing something wrong or you need a good alignment.

I have a late 2013 Tesla S85, Nur Tessa, in Calgary Alberta Canada. Small things include cold feet... there is cold air coming from somewhere... the door seals I think. That road air causes dust to settle on the black inner door surface which is not easy to get off. I would like to be able to unlock the front passenger door when picking someone up without making them wait while I resort to navigating to the right screen... a door unlock button on the driver's door would be best. Cold temperatures really suck battery charge even when it is just sitting in the unheated garage. Wish I had a button to push so that the car would charge only as much as the garage solar panels can provide, without supplementing using grid generated electricity to make up the difference. I would like the option to run entirely on solar panel electricity.

There are quite a few things I dislike about the Model S but nothing bad enough to say hate!
The seats are not even close to most competitively priced machines. Go sit in a Jaguar XF(¾ of the price), back seat in particular, then compare that with the 2017 Model S.
The navigation system is in desperate need of way points. I don't know of any navigation system available in any car at any price that does not have this already.
The headlights could be better especially on main beam. They are not bad but for the price bracket they don't measure up to the competition.
General fit and finish is good, but again not comparable with other cars in the same class. Doors don't close properly without giving them a pretty firm push. Tesla explanation is air pressure because the car is so well sealed. Really?
My biggest complaint is that I cannot change the charge current remotely or through some API. I charge my car entirely from Solar power and I cannot alway give it 48 amps if the sun isn't shining fully without depleting the house battery very fast. It is a real pain. It is technically possible to solve the problem given the Tesla Wall Charger capabilities but Tesl will not release the communication specs to me. I told them I would sign any legal protection document they want me too but they simply said they would not provide the information. Very disappointing. The car is great but the company, not so much.

Reactions: Pentium2004