Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 can't CHILL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a "vintage MS 85" from 2013 (pre-AP1) and just completed a firmware update to 2017.50.2 and got easy access but no chill. I was looking forward to the Chill mode for Winter driving in the snow given I thought it would help my RWD MS in the ice and snow but I guess no such luck, huh?? I wish there was a definitive answer to this question and a way to get it on our older MS's. I doubt I'd ever use it in good weather or clear roads but probably would in the snow, rain or sleet. Oh well.....

I don't see why 2013 P85s cannot have this feature. Tesla controls a lot of performance vectors using software. AP1 flavors of the P85 still used the same motors and inverters as the non-AP variants, as far as I'm aware. All this feature is, is a modification to the acceleration curve. That's all software. They could have done it, but chose not to.

However, considering that our vehicle's performance drops over time as the battery capacity drops and internal resistance rises, maybe we already have a permanent Chill Mode. We just don't realize it. lol

Reactions: Hank42
I have left the MS 2017 90D in Chill Mode. Hardly noticed any difference because of naturally driving the Tesla in a chill mode style.

It would be nice to have Chill Mode in the RWD MS 2012 P85 to reduce tire spin at acceleration. A lighter touch on the accelerator will help simulate chill mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank42
To add another data point here, my signature P85 also has no Chill Mode on 2017.50.2. I had been hoping it would be helpful on ice, like a complement to traction control. Yes, driving more cautiously is doable, and that’s fine, but forcing myself to drive cautiously is good to ensure I don’t do something dangerous if I panic. Same arguement you could use for antilock brakes or even active emergency braking.

It's too bad they've left us behind. My car has now been excluded from Chill, Performance Easter Egg, and Battery Preheat features as far as I've noticed. (The preheat seems extra ridiculous to me, has anyone without AP hardware seen that work yet, or are updates in general only going to be applied to AP / cars less than 3 years old from now on?)

(The preheat seems extra ridiculous to me, has anyone without AP hardware seen that work yet, or are updates in general only going to be applied to AP / cars less than 3 years old from now on?)

I just tried this on my very early P85 and it does work. (See screenshots below.) Plug in your car and let it get really, really cold. My garage is about 18° F right now. Then turn on the cabin heat. After a few minutes a little red battery icon appears to indicate that the battery is warming. Previously this only happened when the battery was charging. Now you can preheat the battery even if you don’t need a charge.

C4F23B34-AA8F-4926-A278-A2B2C15FC957.png
046CF0CD-7F5B-49B1-BE55-A7D2C00DA25B.png

I left it outdoors to test it plugged in overnight at very cold temps, Chicago is definitely cold enough that I would have seen that with the interior at single digit temps in degrees F, but still nada. Maybe this is another of the P85+ pitfalls like the lack of Performance Mode Easter Egg. I suspect there are check boxes to apply updates tp [X] P85, [ ] P85+, [X] P85D, and so on and the + just gets forgotten. Oh well; liek the Performance dropdown, I must have been simply forgotten by whoever approved that particular update set; there's a lot of us + owners that noticed these omissions before, so this instance seems to confirm that hypothesis of what sort of updates are applied at least.

Maybe we'll get rolled in to the normal P85 update path when the Model 3/Roadster2020/Semi OS is ported to our cars. Probably not considering how long we've been excluded, but maybe.

I wonder if the simple reason is Tesla didn't want to design a place for the Chill text in the ages old, completely of out place Classic dial on the instrument cluster...

Oh, how they messed up that beautiful Classic IC in 7.0...

Any time! Also, note that after nearly two hours, my battery is still not warm, according to the dotted yellow line, but at least has comfortable regen:
View attachment 269416

This is the regen limitation, that the inverter motor is not warmed up, not the battery.

Normally you see the line at the 320/160 mark. That's when the battery is low on charge or temperature limited.