Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear drive unit can take 1400 AMPS?!!! Wow. That's a lot of power for a small unit. Did you do something special with the thermal monitoring, to ensure that you don't cook the motor? Or is the drive unit smart enough to protect itself?

The drive unit handles its own thermal monitoring very well. I'm also keeping a manual eye on it for the time being.

How much is the basic P85's max power? motor and battery

The P85 maxes at 1150A, which at 100% SoC comes out to about 350 kW or so (~470 HP from pack).

Would you be able to mod cars that have upgraded to 8.x?

I know the backdoor you used has been closed now, but can you downgrade the firmware to get access?

Yes, and no need to downgrade. However this mod does make firmware upgrading difficult once installed, so it's likely to be stuck on the same version for quite a while afterward.

With the knowledge and talent you have who needs warranties:)?

In all seriousness, that was actually kind of my thought. The benefit of the warranty is that Tesla sources and pays for the parts and labor and not me. But in this case, I think the fun aspect outweighs those gains for me.

get some slicks and head to the 1/4 mile track :)

Wish there were a track open nearby. Will probably be a few months.

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you get the cool stats to show up on the right side of the instrument cluster? Something you did or something we could all do?

You need dev/diagnostic/root to get it to come up. Although there was a bug in 2.52.20 where if you left your IC on the clock during the update it would switch to this dev screen... I'm sure Tesla quickly fixed that. They seem to despise owners having this sort of info for some reason. :(

Can't wait to see the new 0-60 times.

Might have to consider a road trip to NC now. :D

Hopefully roads dry up a bit today. Few flat on-ramps that are perfect for testing nearby.

How many launches/WOTs before power is limited? :D

As many as it takes to actually break something. :p

@wk057 as i understand it's not just software, you need battery pack and fuses, contactors, etc... from the new models?

It's actually quite extensive. This is building on top of the autopilot retrofit because a lot of that work was needed for this to work as well. Also, there are a few older permanence motors that can not run in P85D mode.

So, talking some definite big ticket changes. Ludicrous pack (might be possible to upgrade some of the original P85 "D" revsion packs, but prior ones definitely not), potentially a drive unit if not a compatible revision, ESP2 traction control system with iBooster (there's no way to run P85D firmware without it, plus theres no way this car would stay on the road under ESP1), thermal controller, MCU if not a premium audio unit, instrument cluster, wheel speed sensors, etc etc etc.

So, overall it's not going to be a very cost effective mod coming from a P85/P85+... but if you want it just to have the most powerful RWD Tesla possible, then that probably won't matter as much to you. If you just want more power/faster acceleration you should probably just trade up to a PxxDL.

Anyway to take a S90D and turn it into a P90D?

Wrong rear motor. :(

---

Car is charging now, made a few more software tweaks. Hopefully get some test runs in.

Can you please tell us what would be required to move from an S60/75 (RWD) to the max power of its rear drive unit?

If I understood correctly, the drive unit is physically the same as a P car, but would require software change (is that currently possible?)

1) The 60/75 battery has a max power of xx (less voltage than 85/90 battery and xx amp limit)

2) upgrade to the 85/90 battery has a max power of xx (large pack voltage and non-L current limit of xx amp)

3) upgrade to 90 ludicrous battery has max power of xx (limit on current as described above)

I'm just trying to understand the limiting factors at each level of effort / cost. If you can estimate some of these xx gaps, that would clarify.

Super job and super exciting!

Very cool project Jason!

I was reading through your CAN descriptions yesterday and wondering about the feasibility of an interceptor/translator type device to spoof drive control. You move fast, ha.

I'm curious. Have you taken the firmware backward through a program like IDA Pro or similar to see if you can trace your CAN addresses back to corresponding maps like 'Max output vs. Motor Temp' etc.?

Nick

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I've been offered positions at Tesla, but I refuse to move to California. Apparently that's a deal breaker. Besides, probably wouldn't be as much fun. :)

The front frame rails are totally different on the RWD cars. It would take extensive modification to do so. Certainly not impossible, but would need way more power available to even bother. A P100D cant even max out a small front and large rear, let alone two large DUs.

Not just software hacks. The pack is actually a Ludicrous pack now. The motor is a recent warranty swap that happened to be a P85D compatible unit that is the same revision as was in my P85D. So, overall, should be perfectly fine. Definitely kissed those warranties goodbye, though.
The next obvious question being, is there room for rear drive unit in the front? And would a 100kwh battery be better able to fully utilize them with the proper amps?

So, I just finished some initial testing of my latest modification to the yellow P85 (the one that has retrofitted autopilot hardware). Haven't gotten a lot of pics or videos together yet (roads have been wet from melting snow, so not great conditions for testing), but I can't resist sharing some initial details.

So far the car is a ~570HP RWD monster that desperately needs wider rear tires. It doesn't even have the staggered rims, so I'm putting this all through 245's at the moment and traction control stays on up to like 45 MPH. lol.

The car and everything in it are now running P85D firmware. The battery has been upgraded to a P85D Ludicrous pack. The car does not actually have a front motor, however. The front motor is being emulated by custom hardware and software that essentially tricks the car into thinking there is a front motor and that all of the power needs to go to the rear... and it does exactly that.

The performance rear drive units appear to have a max current of around 1400A. Ludicrous allows ~1520A, so even with HVAC on and such the motor can still max out. :)

In my testing at around 90% SoC and battery at about 32C the power maxed out at about 426kW. I plan on trying Max Battery Power @ 100% charge. Oh, and launch mode works too. :)

I finished up some code to make the car happy enough to not display any errors at all finally, but by then the pack was down to about 50% SoC. Did a few more test runs and snapped some photos of the dev readouts screen.

p85L.jpg

(Even at 50% SoC was still getting ~380kW/508 HP)

Hopefully roads dry up and I can grab the VBOX tomorrow for some testing at 100% SoC and a warm pack. :)

More soon.

(Yes, it's technically the wife's car.... although she uses the X mostly now)

Jason Hughes on Twitter

Edit: Oh, and um... I may plan on offering this modification as a service at some point to P85/P85+ folks. ;)

J

Can anything like this be applied to a plain 85?

Thanks

D.C.

The front frame rails are totally different on the RWD cars. It would take extensive modification to do so. Certainly not impossible, but would need way more power available to even bother. A P100D cant even max out a small front and large rear, let alone two large DUs.

Sounds like you need to mount a 2nd battery pack. Then again, a P-motor in front would be fruitless because that's too much power to the front wheels.

We need @wk057 to clarify this, because my understanding is that non-P cars have a smaller rear motor. Only the P cars got the big boy rear motors.

The non-P 'D' cars definitely have a smaller rear unit. But the RWD cars all have something that is physically externally identical to the P cars, and a few people have said the only difference is software. I have no direct knowledge.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
J

Can anything like this be applied to a plain 85?

Thanks

D.C.

We need @wk057 to clarify this, because my understanding is that non-P cars have a smaller rear motor. Only the P cars got the big boy rear motors.

There are different variations of motor AND pack (and packfuse) combos that result in the different levels of power/trim. A plain old 85 typically wont have the pack or packfuse needed to push the 1150A to the motor. I believe the S85 and P85 motors are the same, but the pack and packfuse are the limiting factor. WK can fact check me here...

holy crap... I can't imaging what that ride must have been like!
Seriously though, wouldn't this be possible on an early 85 (S85) from 2012 with new battery, fuses, etc?

With a performance drive unit compatible with a P85D, and everything else... technically possible, sure.

So, just looked through some CAN logs. So far I see peak power of 439kW (~589HP)................