Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Premium Seat Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently test-drove a Model S Performance, and didn't have ventilated seats. Thought they were not available, so good to know... but they should be standard IMO. The Tesla site is crap as a configurator. Or not user-friendly. Need to give it a try again, to see what the options are. I don't want a glass roof, but I'm probably screwed. If it had a dark sunshield like all other moonroofs, it'd be acceptable.

20191225_142528.jpg
Okay so good news! I was able to successfully get the seats installed and working with the exception of the movable headrest. This took a decent amount of time and they're not 100% finished. I still need to rewire some stuff like the heated seats and air bags. I used quick connectors to test the heated seat and it works flawlessly.

I will post a good write up on the process for others who wish to do the same. I did not use the newer harness or jumpers/ adapter from Tesla. I simple swapped the existing harness from my 2013 Model S and modified it slightly. I'm beyond excited that I was able to get everything working!

After I get everything permanently installed I will be dying everything that's in tan to pure white and then reupholstering the headliner/ pillars with white ultrasuede :)

I dont believe so because I'm using the existing memory modules and wiring... I'm not getting any errors of the screen either. I will get in touch with the SC to confirm. The biggest concern I had was the airbags but they're not faulting out. When I remove one of the pins I'll get an error message pop up that let's me know there's a problem. Everything is functioning perfectly as if they were always installed. Even the memory seat settings are correct.

Did you use the premium seat's side switches also or used the old seats adjustments?

View attachment 492769 Okay so good news! I was able to successfully get the seats installed and working with the exception of the movable headrest. This took a decent amount of time and they're not 100% finished. I still need to rewire some stuff like the heated seats and air bags. I used quick connectors to test the heated seat and it works flawlessly.

I will post a good write up on the process for others who wish to do the same. I did not use the newer harness or jumpers/ adapter from Tesla. I simple swapped the existing harness from my 2013 Model S and modified it slightly. I'm beyond excited that I was able to get everything working!

After I get everything permanently installed I will be dying everything that's in tan to pure white and then reupholstering the headliner/ pillars with white ultrasuede :)

lol well right now we are working on a prototype. so cant really put a cost. But if more people want it, we should be able to find someone to make a mold and batch from it. So will let you know once we are closer.

I need to finish the back wiring change. Do you have tips for removing seat back? I only found 1 video from Rich Rebuild for the old seats.

Count me as "interested" if there is a plug and play harness to make the new seats work.
harness is actually the easy part as we can swap in the old one. If you don't have a donor I can get you a full set ready to pnp once we complete the panel.

Just warning, this is likely a low run production unless there's a lot of demand, and will either be really expensive for a custom panel, or kinda expensive for a hand made panel, or you can hack your own..

The cleanest is a replacement side cover of your seat. All the seats are closely sized. I considered 3d Print, I have a great contact for that. However I don't think the finish will work well. Probably can be good with filler but that will also add a lot to cost.

The cleanest is a replacement side cover of your seat. All the seats are closely sized. I considered 3d Print, I have a great contact for that. However I don't think the finish will work well. Probably can be good with filler but that will also add a lot to cost.
Also found a way to make the adjustable headrest work without the UI. All you need to do is install a diverter switch from the up/down lumber motor wiring. When you click up on the lumber support the motor will drive up and click down will drive it down. Use the switch to pick between the two (lumber support vs headrest). The only thing to watch for is that put the switch back to lumbar before exiting vehicle (memory module for seat settings)

Last edited:
I'm going to try two options.

1. 1/4inch MDF wrapped in suede
2. 1/4inch or thinner plexiglass shaped to match old panel the either suede or vinyl wrapped.

I'll try both to see what looks best. I'm planning on a complete interior overhaul so I'm going to be using lots of suede throughout the vehicle.