Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 P85D is in the shop now to get a new battery pack and drive unit installed. Any idea if it will be a 90kW pack? That would be amazing. They said it was being shipped from Washington and would be here tomorrow or Wednesday. The drive unit will be in Thursday or Friday.

Definitely let us know if you end up with a 90. Good luck!

Well surprisingly, I got a call yesterday that the battery pack, new drive unit, and new rear tires were installed and ready to go. I asked about the battery pack that was installed when I got there. It turns out, they installed a loaner battery and sent mine in for re-manufacture. They said they've had loaner batteries in cars for upwards of a year and had no idea if I would get an 85 or 90 battery. They said we will see when my replacement battery comes in. Still hoping for a 90, but with the 85 battery and new drive unit, the car feels strong. Plus my full charge is 259 now, up from 225 with the old pack.

Well surprisingly, I got a call yesterday that the battery pack, new drive unit, and new rear tires were installed and ready to go. I asked about the battery pack that was installed when I got there. It turns out, they installed a loaner battery and sent mine in for re-manufacture. They said they've had loaner batteries in cars for upwards of a year and had no idea if I would get an 85 or 90 battery. They said we will see when my replacement battery comes in. Still hoping for a 90, but with the 85 battery and new drive unit, the car feels strong. Plus my full charge is 259 now, up from 225 with the old pack.
Mine took over a year. Possibly due to the length of time or because they don't make the 85 pack any longer, I ended up with a 90 pack

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc and TravisT
So I have to wonder if there’s a difference in performance between a P90 and a straight 90 given there were never any original P90s built. I believe there were a few 90s being offered on the configurator for a brief period so I’m guessing they are using that software for both versions. My 85 was recently upgraded and seems a bit quicker than before. I wouldn’t know how to measure a 0-60 time so I’m hoping someone has the answer.

So I have to wonder if there’s a difference in performance between a P90 and a straight 90 given there were never any original P90s built. I believe there were a few 90s being offered on the configurator for a brief period so I’m guessing they are using that software for both versions. My 85 was recently upgraded and seems a bit quicker than before. I wouldn’t know how to measure a 0-60 time so I’m hoping someone has the answer.
I believe the standard older 85 had a smaller non performance motor. With the upgrade to the P90 from the P85 there may be measurable difference in speed but to be truthful I am sure I wouldn't be able to tell. It's already fast lol

Can Tesla tell if a cell has failed in your pack? Is it just a matter of plugging
in to their computer or do they need to take your pack to pieces?

Yes, they can tell OTA if a cell as failed. I presume the BMS would know immediately and a simple query of the BMS would tell them. My question is why doesn't the BMS send a message back to the mothership when that happens. My guess is they hope the user doesn't notice the slightly reduced range and/or power and happily goes on their way.

Reactions: TravisT
Yes, they can tell OTA if a cell as failed. I presume the BMS would know immediately and a simple query of the BMS would tell them. My question is why doesn't the BMS send a message back to the mothership when that happens. My guess is they hope the user doesn't notice the slightly reduced range and/or power and happily goes on their way.
Thanks very much, Naonak
regards,

Howdy folks! Apologies for the thread resurrection - but it seems better than a new thread.

Anyway, I recently pulled the trigger on a CPO 2016 P90DL (should be taking delivery in next week or so) then had a bit of an "Oh *sugar*!" moment re: if its battery pack is the newer/higher-output one (V3) or not. I probably won't be able to see the battery pack label/sticker until I pick it up (Tesla won't show me a photo of the label), but the VIN ends in 145873 and it has a build date of 06/16, which seems late enough that it must have received the V3 battery pack. Or so I hope... If anyone has a better idea please let me know! Many thanks.

Brian

Howdy folks! Apologies for the thread resurrection - but it seems better than a new thread.

Anyway, I recently pulled the trigger on a CPO 2016 P90DL (should be taking delivery in next week or so) then had a bit of an "Oh *sugar*!" moment re: if its battery pack is the newer/higher-output one (V3) or not. I probably won't be able to see the battery pack label/sticker until I pick it up (Tesla won't show me a photo of the label), but the VIN ends in 145873 and it has a build date of 06/16, which seems late enough that it must have received the V3 battery pack. Or so I hope... If anyone has a better idea please let me know! Many thanks.

Brian
Can't help on the VIN but hope you get your V3. As a recent 2016 CPO P90DL purchaser I am still disappointed I only got the lesser V1 battery. For what it is worth my VIN starts 127xxx. Is yours facelift?

Are you going to reject if it is not V3?

James