Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ran it down to 7%, I let the car sit and go to sleep for 1 hour, when I returned, the car was showing 1%, very odd.
My similar vintage similar miles S75 does this a lot now with recent firmware releases. Not sure why, but it’s very consistent. If I park with less than 20% SoC without charging immediately the car “loses” 5% SoC within 20-30 minutes of sitting. The BMS seems to get confused or is protecting some extra charge buffer or something. The car eventually gets the 5% back, usually shortly after charging (which results in it overshooting my set charging limit by 5%).

Strange, but seemingly harmless. I’m confident Tesla isn’t gonna do anything for you until the battery actually fails with errors on the dash - so I’d not waste much time trying to convince them.

My similar vintage similar miles S75 does this a lot now with recent firmware releases. Not sure why, but it’s very consistent. If I park with less than 20% SoC without charging immediately the car “loses” 5% SoC within 20-30 minutes of sitting. The BMS seems to get confused or is protecting some extra charge buffer or something. The car eventually gets the 5% back, usually shortly after charging (which results in it overshooting my set charging limit by 5%).

Strange, but seemingly harmless. I’m confident Tesla isn’t gonna do anything for you until the battery actually fails with errors on the dash - so I’d not waste much time trying to convince them.
Same behaviour here. I have a V1 pack and am not beating it up. I hope it'll last a long time and that by the time it needs to be replaced I can get it refurbished or swap out at an affordable price. Let's see. For now very happy with the car.

Not much hope of Tesla replacing a battery until it actually fails and then you are only promised to get a battery in "like" condition to yours prior to the failure. Tesla has not be replacing failed batteries with new ones for some time. Everyone I am aware of has been a refurb and they do not restore you to "like new" mileage. Lots and lots of posts on this over the last several years.

Not much hope of Tesla replacing a battery until it actually fails and then you are only promised to get a battery in "like" condition to yours prior to the failure. Tesla has not be replacing failed batteries with new ones for some time. Everyone I am aware of has been a refurb and they do not restore you to "like new" mileage. Lots and lots of posts on this over the last several years.
Yeah that makes sense. I did get them to agree to diagnose the battery, so that’s good I guess, but not expecting much. I still have over 2 1/2 years warranty of the battery, so I’m not too worried. Also, makes sense they would promise “like” condition at worst for replacement. But in all honesty, I doubt there is a V3 battery that’s any more degraded than mine, so it would still be an increase. It’s a bummer Tesla hasn’t come out and goodwill replaced and P90DL considering the v1 and v2 can’t hit speeds that were advertised. Don’t get me wrong I still absolutely love the car, would just be nice to have Tesla own that and do what’s right for the owners

Anyone knows if v3 has the same crappy chemistry / build that degrades faster than newer batteries?

My DU is being replaced and i got a new Model 3 performance loaner, my calcs show it jas 82kw usable and a range of 480kms at full charge with 35k kilometers on the odometer.
How fast it gets to the right temp in cold mornings and how fast the regen starts working with full capacity is impressive comparing to my car.

I dont even know which version of a battery i have. Will check when i get my car back.
Its a 2016 P90d from march, pre facelift.
All my calculations show that I have 69kw usable capacity. Odometer shows 98k kilometers. %100 charge gets me around 380 kilometers on the highway with 100km/h on a warm day, without aircon, on range mode.
Consumption is around 0.18wh/km.

380km / 0.18wh per km = 68.4 kwh capacity?

So? That's all the warranty promises. I don't know of anyone posting that they got a battery materially, or even measurably, worse than the one that was replaced prior to failure. Sure the batteries are refurbished and not necessarily new because that is how warranties have always worked to allow that option. Usually the batteries are much better than the one that was replaced even though that is not required. That was my experience and the experience of lots and lots of posts on this over the last several years.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Anyone knows if v3 has the same crappy chemistry / build that degrades faster than newer batteries?

My DU is being replaced and i got a new Model 3 performance loaner, my calcs show it jas 82kw usable and a range of 480kms at full charge with 35k kilometers on the odometer.
How fast it gets to the right temp in cold mornings and how fast the regen starts working with full capacity is impressive comparing to my car.

I dont even know which version of a battery i have. Will check when i get my car back.
All my calculations show that I have 69kw usable capacity. Odometer shows 98k kilometers. %100 charge gets me around 380 kilometers on the highway with 100km/h on a warm day, without aircon, on range mode.

I have a P90D pre-facelift as well with a V1 pack, my 100% range is 355~360 driving 107 km/h on the highway.

The chemistry issues seem to have been sorted out with V3. Additionally, V3 is a 1600 amp battery compared with the 1500 amps of the V1, V2 90 and 85L battery. The hope for those P85DL, P90DL(V1,V2) is that when their battery goes, they get a V3 90 which has a significant power bump.

That hope for me is fading as I'm on my original Ludicrous upgraded battery from 2015 with 130K miles. Covid halted my driving and then Tesla released software that 1) extends the life battery by slowing charging and more tightly controlling its temperature by beating to death the heating and cooling components that aren't covered by the 8 year battery warranty and 2) ignores battery errors that were previously grounds for replacement.

Reactions: tezcatcatl
I have a P90D pre-facelift as well with a V1 pack, my 100% range is 355~360 driving 107 km/h on the highway.

Sounds similar. As soon as i get my car back i will check what version battery i have.

Did you check your avg consumption during these rides? 360km with what wh/km?

68.4kw is %76 of 90kw. %6 more loss and I guess I am eligible for a replacement.
I wonder what my peak power is though, and if Tesla battery pack warranty promises a max peak power degradation level. I dont see it writte anywhere so I assume not. But it sounds like some of us got replacements due to peak power decrease 🤔

The chemistry issues seem to have been sorted out with V3. Additionally, V3 is a 1600 amp battery compared with the 1500 amps of the V1, V2 90 and 85L battery. The hope for those P85DL, P90DL(V1,V2) is that when their battery goes, they get a V3 90 which has a significant power bump.

That hope for me is fading as I'm on my original Ludicrous upgraded battery from 2015 with 130K miles. Covid halted my driving and then Tesla released software that 1) extends the life battery by slowing charging and more tightly controlling its temperature by beating to death the heating and cooling components that aren't covered by the 8 year battery warranty and 2) ignores battery errors that were previously grounds for replacement.

I have 2 years and 4 months of warranty left on it with 24% capacity loss.
I would definitely push for a v3 in this case, if I get to be eligible for a replacement within the warranty period.

And if v3 has solved the chemistry issues, I would actually rather pay for battery replacement to v3 (if after warranty i happen to need it) than to change my car.
Ofcourse that is if v3 is really improved chemically.
Also IF it is improved, then charging and temperature shouldnt be that much of a problem so it would be annoying that they still go full ham on the cooling system even if you have v3 in your car.

I have 2 years and 4 months of warranty left on it with 24% capacity loss.
I would definitely push for a v3 in this case, if I get to be eligible for a replacement within the warranty period.

And if v3 has solved the chemistry issues, I would actually rather pay for battery replacement to v3 (if after warranty i happen to need it) than to change my car.
Ofcourse that is if v3 is really improved chemically.
Also IF it is improved, then charging and temperature shouldnt be that much of a problem so it would be annoying that they still go full ham on the cooling system even if you have v3 in your car.

My problem is I only have 8% loss after almost 7 years. I'm going to list it in March with a year left on the warranty as a value added incentive for someone to buy it but I won't keep it with the original battery. I also have the original DUs which is unheard of for an early 2015...especially a performance model upgraded to Ludicrous. I have to have both DUs and the battery replaced to consider keeping it anything past 8 years. My time as a Tesla owner is coming to a close and I won't be buying another one.

My problem is I only have 8% loss after almost 7 years. I'm going to list it in March with a year left on the warranty as a value added incentive for someone to buy it but I won't keep it with the original battery. I also have the original DUs which is unheard of for an early 2015...especially a performance model upgraded to Ludicrous. I have to have both DUs and the battery replaced to consider keeping it anything past 8 years. My time as a Tesla owner is coming to a close and I won't be buying another one.

And you have a v3 battery since the beginning?
Yea mine is march 2016 and rear DU screams on high speeds so they are replacing it at the moment. But front is hanging on so far.

What is your range and consumption at the moment?
Only 8% loss sounds promising to me considering my %24 😂

I don't know of anyone posting that they got a battery materially, or even measurably, worse than the one that was replaced prior to failure.
There was one person that reported that their replacement pack was worse than their original. As I recall they had to fight with Tesla for a bit, and they finally got it replaced again with another pack that was at least as good as their original failed one.

Reactions: bhzmark
And you have a v3 battery since the beginning?
Yea mine is march 2016 and rear DU screams on high speeds so they are replacing it at the moment. But front is hanging on so far.

What is your range and consumption at the moment?
Only 8% loss sounds promising to me considering my %24 😂
I’m curious, do you use A better route planner and link it to your car? I’m really curious what ABRP says your degradation is, since I have very similar statistics to yours

Sounds similar. As soon as i get my car back i will check what version battery i have.

Did you check your avg consumption during these rides? 360km with what wh/km?

68.4kw is %76 of 90kw. %6 more loss and I guess I am eligible for a replacement.
I wonder what my peak power is though, and if Tesla battery pack warranty promises a max peak power degradation level. I dont see it writte anywhere so I assume not. But it sounds like some of us got replacements due to peak power decrease 🤔
My average consumption is anywhere between 160 and 200 wh/km. I even managed to get it into the 140's on a 20 degree day with no winds. Now in winter it's between 180 and 200. I'm still on my 21" summer tires, will swap next week.

Reactions: tezcatcatl
Although I'd appreciate a newer V3 battery I can support Tesla's decision not to replace these batteries but make them last as long as possible instead. A lot of of precious earth minerals were spent on crafting these batteries and we should put them to good use. I'm treating my battery normally and I hope I don't have to replace it. I intend to keep the car for a couple of years past its warranty. Hopefully it'll be more affordable to replace the pack by then so I can enjoy the car for a long time.