Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel filled up thoughts on options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AAA2EEF3-6DE7-41E4-8ABB-43404AB126F3.jpeg
I’m officially scheduled to get my Y in two weeks just got my VIN.
See board it’s filled up. Thoughts on what I can do to free up space.
I may be able to free up one breaker can I get a single pole 50 amp breaker? What tesla plug adapter should I use if single pole?
FYI top right breaker is for generator
Thoughts
Thanks

You need to find the max rating of the panel.
They already put a lot of tandem breakers in there to expand the system.
If there is still surplus capacity, use two x 15a tandems to give you room for a 240v breaker, right side.
Set up for NEMA 14-50R then get the 14-50 pigtail. Your car will max out at 40 amps, but not with the included charger which is capped at 32a. It only comes with a 120v pigtail as sold, go to Gen 2 NEMA Adapters to get the right pigtail.

You will find that Tesla is having trouble keeping charging parts in stock. So start looking now.

Last edited:
120v is limited to 16 amps AFAIK. This is with the 5-20 pigtail.

The pigtail on the included charger tells the charger how many amps to pull. Since the limit is 80% for continuous duty, 5-20a pigtail = 16a draw. Or about 4 miles of range for each hour of charging.

Cool
What if I can’t add more tandems? Is there a single pole 50amp option?

Tesla only offers a 5-20 (20 amp max, 16 continuous) upgrade adapter from the 5-15 adapter for 120V for the mobile connector. However the charging circuitry in the car supports at least 40 amps, and I'd guess the full 48 amps at 120V.

Evseadapters offers an adapter for several higher power 120V receptacles. One is the rare 5-50: NEMA 5-50 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Another is the very common, in the RV community, TT-30: TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

These would let you charge at 32- (the limit of the mobile connector) and 24 amps respectively at 120V.

Technically, the correct way to approach this is to have an electrician perform a load calculation on the panel with your existing circuits to see if the panel can support the additional charging load that you want to install. If that load calculation says you have the proper excess electrical capacity, then the next step is to figure out how to physically connect an additional charging circuit to the panel.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Technically, the correct way to approach this is to have an electrician perform a load calculation on the panel with your existing circuits to see if the panel can support the additional charging load that you want to install. If that load calculation says you have the proper excess electrical capacity, then the next step is to figure out how to physically connect an additional charging circuit to the panel.
Thank you very much

Tesla only offers a 5-20 (20 amp max, 16 continuous) upgrade adapter from the 5-15 adapter for 120V for the mobile connector. However the charging circuitry in the car supports at least 40 amps, and I'd guess the full 48 amps at 120V.

Evseadapters offers an adapter for several higher power 120V receptacles. One is the rare 5-50: NEMA 5-50 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Another is the very common, in the RV community, TT-30: TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

These would let you charge at 32- (the limit of the mobile connector) and 24 amps respectively at 120V.
Really appreciate the insights my electrician is coming later today I’ll review trying to avoid creating a new panel

@Yetialan yeah, this is the beginning of this whole discussion. Until you get a load calculation to find out how many amps are "used" and how many are still available, you won't really have an idea of what options you should be looking at.

If you have some amps available, the main thing that can almost always be done to deal with the panel physically being full is to move some things to a sub-panel.

And those suggestions like twin breakers or tandem breakers might not be an option, depending on the model of your panel. I have a Square D panel that looks similar to yours, and mine is a model that is built to not allow those types.

And in case you weren't aware how this part works. The double pole breakers that take up two spaces give the 240V, and the single pole ones in one space are 120V.
Wow, I didn't know there was a 120V outlet type that went as high as 50 amps.