Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems strange that you claim the damage was minor, but they totaled the vehicle. Something doesn't add up here.

Also, I would continue to press them to re-certify the car. Sometimes Tesla is difficult to work with. I had an issue that had to be resolved in court. Others have pointed to resources in Australia. I would start there. You will likely need to spend some time and money on this.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I’m not doubting what you said, I’m just asking if that is the procedure outlined in the service manual. I am not a Tesla technician. I was merely relating what I saw when I was at the service center.

If you haven’t done so yet, may I suggest you search the web for the Tesla service manual. I have read on this forum that it is available. And that copies may also be purchased on eBay. I don’t know whether this is legit or an infringement of Tesla’s copyright. Just relaying what I’ve read here.

If I recall correctly, when the Model S was tested for safety, it broke the machine that attempted to crush the roof, and no other car had ever done that (broke the crushing test machine). So what you consider a crazy installation of the sunroof may have been an intentional design to increase the safety of the car (and the roof in particular).

Your not understanding me bud, the roof glass is held on by 4mm screws, but to install them you need to remove the whole roof, cut it out, drill it out. Its funny I've come to realise there are two types of Tesla people, ones who any fault or inferior part or design of Tesla they justify as a intentional revolutionary design of "Tesla" and the other types of people who will say "Tesla" is failing very badly with there stupid designs and policies in relation to there vehicles. So how we know which is more correct? well get yourself a issue with your car which you will inevitably face one day, if your in warranty or out of it and you will come to know that such a simple issue as replacing your glass roof is near impossible! if not extremely expensive. Car parts are manufactured and designed to be replaced due to damage or wear and tear , or factory defects. But how do you replace these parts if they aren't able to be done ? lets hope none of you ever have a broken roof glass or go through hail damage! in my opinion it is a really stupid design and a fail on part of Tesla, I either cut my whole roof out and drill it out , which will bring shards of metal into the interior inside of the car , and re glue my roof and pop rivet back in which does not guarantees perfect alignment or water leaks! when tesla sells a panoramic roof bracket for $14 (so cheap!) there is usually a reason why! but they will charge you $900 for a door handle HAHAHHA , ask yourself why it is so, usually because a door handle is a common faulty part which they ought to do the complete opposite and sell the door handle cheaper as it is a common part that they failed on and fails as part of the vehicle. But this is how they make there money you see, not everybody will do the repair I attempted hence they will even send you the parts for free (in my case) but a easily accessible and easy repair such as the door handle will set you back $900 (cash grab scheme!) I can see why they sell there cars so expensive , it is because they are new to the market and experimenting not knowing what parts are going to work and what's not, hence the expensive cost is to cover the labour warranty!

A Tesla roof will not break a testing machine , don't ever for a second think this is true or real! here is the actual video of roof testing on the Tesla , if the other machine broke it would be due to the machine.

"Did people in this forum actually pay $70k US upwards for these cars? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

Yeah we did. How much did you pay for one that you can't even fix, use, or resell?

I paid less then half of what you did for a broken fender and scratched bumper that were repaired in less then 2 days and less then $500 :)

who says its not fixable ? the pano roof brackets are actually a flaw of Tesla noting to do with the car damage, but your just trying to discredit me and my vehicle at any opportunity you get, the roof cant be fixed due to a stupid design or unless I'm missing something in an easier procedure that nobodys been able to do or attempted yet. I can sell it alright I just want the price its worth and it wasn't ready to be viewed by buyers with a broken roof. why you so mad for coz I got my car less then half of how much you paid for yours lol

Car parts are manufactured and designed to be replaced due to damage or wear and tear , or factory defects. But how do you replace these parts if they aren't able to be done ?

Can't be done huh? The Tesla service manual has complete instructions for what to do to replace the panoramic roof.

I either cut my whole roof out and drill it out , which will bring shards of metal into the interior inside of the car , and re glue my roof and pop rivet back in which does not guarantees perfect alignment or water leaks!

They don't have you drill anything, they call for the use of a square cutting wire to cut the rivets and adhesive. But they are probably replacing the whole thing, not repairing the existing panoramic roof. (And if you have a first generation roof, they expect you to put a second generation in its place which requires a new control module and wiring harness adapter.)

It sounds like it requires a lot of adhesive, 4 tubes, for the installation.

Now I understand why some people have reported that out of warranty panoramic repair issues cost so much, it is a lot of work.

lets hope none of you ever have a broken roof glass or go through hail damage!

This isn't true either, the glass can be replaced separately from the frame, and that seems like an easy process. (Well for the sliding portion, the fixed portion is glued in place, but that isn't uncommon for fixed glass like windshields, etc.)

It does appear that all of the parts are "restricted" which is common for structural, or HV, parts.

Reactions: DARK_VADAR
Can't be done huh? The Tesla service manual has complete instructions for what to do to replace the panoramic roof.

They don't have you drill anything, they call for the use of a square cutting wire to cut the rivets and adhesive. But they are probably replacing the whole thing, not repairing the existing panoramic roof. (And if you have a first generation roof, they expect you to put a second generation in its place which requires a new control module and wiring harness adapter.)

It sounds like it requires a lot of adhesive, 4 tubes, for the installation.

Now I understand why some people have reported that out of warranty panoramic repair issues cost so much, it is a lot of work.

This isn't true either, the glass can be replaced separately from the frame, and that seems like an easy process. (Well for the sliding portion, the fixed portion is glued in place, but that isn't uncommon for fixed glass like windshields, etc.)

It does appear that all of the parts are "restricted" which is common for structural, or HV, parts.

there are four brackets that hold that glass piece , it is these 4 pieces that are impossible to replace without having to cut out the whole roof or replace the whole unit. Oh and I didn't say it cant be done, I meant it is ridiculous to do! and anything in the world can be done, but is it even worthwhile? SMH if you want to rip out a whole roof , glassm interior , side door trims, rear trims, possibility of scratching your car and smashing glass , or ripping your seats then be my guest to repair the 5 cm long brackets on each corner, no car has to this extent level of difficulty to repair a sunroof or pano, I have done Ferrari and Mercedes Coupe SL Roadster hard tops, and they can be done in a few hours, with no cutting or glue! who even uses glue !

A Tesla roof will not break a testing machine , don't ever for a second think this is true or real! here is the actual video of roof testing on the Tesla , if the other machine broke it would be due to the machine.

I was referring to the gov’t testing done on a 2013 Model S. See Tesla Model S Breaks the NHTSA Crash-Test Scale - Tesla Model S Crash-Test Videos where the article says the testing machine broke during the tests.

It sounds like you are angry, not just with Tesla but also me as a happy Tesla owner. Please don’t be. I have no feeling for or against you. I was just asking whether the disassembly procedure you described is as set forth in the official Tesla service manual.

I'm just going to distill this thread down, because it's gotten a bit crazy:

OP knowingly bought a salvaged vehicle, and called Tesla to confirm that they didn't have it in their system as "salvaged," believing that he would then be getting a great deal on a Tesla with all the benefits of an owner that bought a non-salvaged Tesla. Unfortunately for OP, there was a delay in Tesla receiving the salvage information.

Now OPs deal isn't as good as he thought, and he's upset...and taking out his frustration on everyone else but the person actually at fault.

Does that about cover it?

I'm just going to distill this thread down, because it's gotten a bit crazy:

OP knowingly bought a salvaged vehicle, and called Tesla to confirm that they didn't have it in their system as "salvaged," believing that he would then be getting a great deal on a Tesla with all the benefits of an owner that bought a non-salvaged Tesla. Unfortunately for OP, there was a delay in Tesla receiving the salvage information.

Now OPs deal isn't as good as he thought, and he's upset...and taking out his frustration on everyone else but the person actually at fault.

Does that about cover it?

Has he ever actually admitted that he knew it was a salvage when he purchased it? Maybe he did but I can't stand reading his idiotic posts so I may have missed it.

Some of you are saints that are continuing to attempt to help him even after multiple insults to everyone on the board. If it really is true that Tesla has said that they won't touch his car, I can understand why.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I have been following this thread and earlier I suggested using a windshield adhesive/sealant to quickly and easily fix the pano roof so that it stays closed and leak free. Job done.

The tone of this thread is disappointing. I'm not sure what the OP wants from us as we are not restoring old Model S cars yet. That phase comes in 10 or more years when these sites change to being repair help sharing sites.

To the OP...It's time to fix your problem as best you can and report how you did this for the archives. Conflict between members doesn't make any sense unless you simply want an audience to vent at. Your discovery that repair is difficult and costly for this Pano roof problem is useful information. Log it and lets move on. The fact that your restoration investment isn't paying back a big profit isn't that important.

My suggestion is to end this thread with information of value.

Reactions: GWord
I’m not venting at anyone or attacking anyone , if anyone has taken that as my aim your wrong, you actually all sound gentlemen and really good people (probably why I am openly telling you guys about these issues!). realistically I could just say ok and move on , but a lot of you have learnt a lot of important information from this post, whether it suits your tastebuds or not. First one is think twice about pano roof , second is don’t for a minute think Tesla will warranty if you buy a car unless you have it in writing from them! (Even then that’s not guaranteed) thirdly don’t even think about repairing a pano roof! Fourthly this company is in no way shape or form an up scale / class vehicle manufacturer due to the flawed design , and complexity of such a simple glass bracket repair, fifthky think beyond what the service advisers try to justify in charges it’s ridiculous! (Today a guy paid $1000AUD for two tyres! My Lamborghini Gallardo rear 295/30/20 Pirelli Corsa system tyres cost me less! Sixth lesson the customer service is terrible!!!!!!!!!!! Seventh lesson don’t think you can even try to reason with this company or meet half way , they don’t ! And last eighth lesson “THINK IT THROUGH VERY CAREFULLY ABOUT BUYING ONE”

I’m sure you guys have also owned many luxury and other exotic cars and have dealt with many dealerships! You do the comparison yourself, one last lesson don’t buy technology that is not even legal in your country or even ready for use in public roads, today when I mentioned to the Tesla dealer about someone dying as a result of that technology he claimed to have no knowledge of it whatsoever! (I hate liars)

If you think this company will actually even begin to help you , really think again!

I understand that they now refuse to work on this car and you can all sit here and say it’s my attitude or what ever you like , I know the reality of why it is and they aren’t sure of there cars and are way too afraid to have any car fail giving the company a bad name, if they had half a brain they should probably do the inspection free of charge and rectify any high voltage issues or hazards completely free so the vehicle doesn’t end up that way (on fire/ or electrocuting someone) but they clearly don’t know how to do business, which leads to the question should one invest in such a company?

The last question here is this, if Tesla don’t want to touch it or warranty it, who the F*CK THEN WILL! Woops sorry for that! ❤️ So they won’t fix it or warranty it , or release a service manual out to a person like me who’s in this position, have they put me or the next person in danger by doing so?

I’m not here venting to any of you, I don’t know any of you and probably never will , I don’t need to vent to you none of you can do anything for me, I am merely sharing an experience I experienced , one that will be very beneficial if you know how to read it. Here’s a pic of me btw have a good day guys enjoy your cars, I honestly haven’t meant to put anyone down, but the people who are arguing against me well yes I’m going to argue with them, they aren’t me and in my position and can’t comment or make assumptions, I was the one who went through this. Don’t think for a minute I’m unable to sell this car I have my phone non stop enquiring, it is me who is not selling the car just yet until I get it registered in two weeks!

One thing this company has lost is a very important customer, everyone in Sydney knows me for my cars I drive and have, let me tell you “I will never think of buying a Tesla again!” And i will ensure every person I meet in my life also doesn’t. Today I got my Mercedes serviced , what a wonderful place to be in, you name it it’s there , they don’t fall behind on anything whatsoever. Oh I got a 2018 GLA as a loan car until they finish it, this is what customer service is about, people don’t even smile at Tesla , as if I’m in a hospital! (White floors / walls ‍♂️)

Attachments

• 8C9C51B6-9FAB-493C-95C8-FEB468E6A03C.jpeg
    8C9C51B6-9FAB-493C-95C8-FEB468E6A03C.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 103
At the end of the day, you keep saying that Tesla is not honoring a warranty that you think they should honor. Was the car totaled by the previous owner/insurance company? If so, you have no leg to stand on and everything else you say is irrelevant, period. If a car is totaled, the warranty no longer applies...no matter how minor you believe the damage was or how cheap it was for you to get the car running. When you bought the car, did you check the title and did you verify that it had not been reported as totaled? If you didn't, then this was a case of "let the buyer beware" and you took a chance and it didn't work out.

Your comments about the inability to replace the brackets on the pano roof without cutting rivets is reflective of a person who isn't familiar with how cars are manufactured today. Almost every roof/sunroof is manufactured that way today...by every car manufacturer because it is cheaper, faster, and because these are very low probability of failure items. The fact the car you bought was damaged (and apparently you didn't realize that that damage existed or didn't understand what it would take to repair it) is again on you.

Like many on these forums, I'm not a Tesla fanboy. They do some things very well, some they do a really lousy job at. My car was hit last May and I waited almost 5 months before I got my car back due to a delay in parts that any big car company in the world would have had available in weeks or (more likely) days. That said, when I bought my car I knew that this was a problem for Tesla that they are working to correct but still had not addressed satisfactorily. I bought the car anyway and took my chances.

The fact you keep throwing your unfounded and apparently inaccurate opinions on these forums as facts and aren't willing to accept things that didn't go your way says a lot more about you than about Tesla. Given the fact that (near as we can tell) you bought ONE USED TESLA that had been DAMAGED IN A CAR ACCIDENT and was apparently TOTALED doesn't make you an important customer to ANY CAR COMPANY in the world. You have a high opinion of yourself and I certainly wish you the best of luck with that, but I don't think any company in the world would lose sleep over your entitled behavior and dissatisfaction with your purchase. If you really believe the facts are not what I and others have shared with us, prove us wrong. Take Tesla to court and win on the facts of the matter instead of baseless opinions and accusations.

We get it. You're not happy and you are convinced Tesla screwed you and you refuse to accept the good advice and suggestions you've been offered. Do you really think your further posts do anything to help anybody or make you look like something other than an self-entitled person with an inflated sense of his own worth and importance who took a chance on what what potentially a good deal that turned out not to be that great of a deal?

I’m sure you guys have also owned many luxury and other exotic cars and have dealt with many dealerships! You do the comparison yourself, one last lesson don’t buy technology that is not even legal in your country or even ready for use in public roads, today when I mentioned to the Tesla dealer about someone dying as a result of that technology he claimed to have no knowledge of it whatsoever! (I hate liars)
Were you at the showroom on Martin Place? I was talking to James on Saturday and while he was enthusiastic, I could easily see him not knowing about a Tesla attacking an owner and killing him. :)

OP, I can’t speak about Tesla in AU, but I can speak about Tesla in the US. During my 6 years of ownership, I have found Tesla to repeatedly go to extremes to address any concern I have, no matter how small. I have used Tesla service in Maryland, Tennessee, Arizona and Florida. They have been more attentive than the Lexus and MB dealers I used for those cars.

For example, the Tesla Service Center has always, without fail, taken my car in for service on a moments notice and had a loaner Tesla waiting for me. In another example, I did a road trip to Phoenix Arizona and had issues with the navigation directions. This happened right after a software update. I called Tesla and they told me to stop in. I told them I thought it was a software issue but they said they would replace the antenna (which required replacing the rear hatch glass) as a precaution. Several months ago I was in Tennessee and I noticed a yellow band on my screen. I called Tesla to ask about it and they sent someone to my hotel to replace the screen with a new screen. Currently, I’m in Florida and my driver’s door handle started to act up. Sometimes it would function, sometimes it would not. Again I called Tesla and they sent a mobile technician to replace the door handle assembly unit. All done for no cost. Oh, and let’s not forget the time Tesla contact me out of the blue to say they detected an issue with the contactors in the battery and to bring the car in at my convenience to have the contractors replaced.

In summary, Tesla service has been exemplary for me, far better than I had from other car companies. This is in the US. Tesla AU May be different.

The service manual is available on the internet and can also be purchased today at eBay (thou I think the manuals may not be authorized copies). In the US there are a group of people who can root the car to offer support to salvage owners (many are on this forum). I don’t know if there are such people in AU but would expect you should be able to find someone.

I wish you luck with your Tesla. Give it a chance. It’s a fun car to drive. I’m sorry your experience with Tesla AU has not been like my experience with Tesla US. Maybe it’s because your vehicle is a salvage car, or maybe Tesla AU functions differently.

Reactions: GWord and drklain
Here's and idea for you to consider.... buy another Model S with existing warranty and keep this salvage car as a donor for parts. Many owners of low production vehicles from the past have second or third vehicles as parts donors. You only need a place to store it.

If there are other people anxious to buy your salvaged car what do they see in it that makes the financial side work? Is there a market for parts in AU? Do they have another Models S that needs parts?

This may not be your original dream plan for the car but it could still become a good financial story.

I am waiting to hear how you finally fixed the pano roof including pictures. That would be of value to the forum.

I’m not very technology savvy and using my phone to reply at the moment on this forum, here goes !

Not sure what part of my story and post some members in here seem to overlook or not address. But before I bought this car I called Tesla and asked about supercharging and warranty they told me it had it! Then after I bought it they refused to honour there word! Spoken to a lawyer who’s also a Tesla member on here (won’t mention his name )as there seem to be people on here who either work for Tesla and secretly act as general Tesla owners, or actual Tesla owners who refuse to see this company other than “perfect!”. Back to the lawyer I spoke with regarding my issue , he told me I should of got it in writing and he was absolutely right ! But who would of thought this would of happened , and when I did initially call Tesla the first few times to get assistance with the car they were very difficult to deal with and reluctant to even discuss anything with me actually! I have to admit the roadside service that connects over to the US or Canada as I’m an Aussie and can’t seem to distinguish between there accents over the phone is “excellent”, I think my issue is with “Tesla Australia” and as much as Tesla lovers or Tesla Australia employees on here who don’t want to hear it, this is the only way standards are improved and the company picks up its gain or goes bust! (By Tesla Owner’s feedback) you don’t promise someone free warranty and supercharging then after they make a huge purchase dishonour them! The vehicle may have a title of salvage but I have posted many photos of the damage and anybody with just a bit of automotive or engineering can see this vehicle is in no way compromised or considered to be unsupported for the remainder of its life, up to now I have owned the car for 7 months and Tesla still refuse to transfer ownership over of the vehicle into my name until I get insurance registration on the vehicle, so anybody can claim this car at the moment as there’s and I have no leg to stand on as I’m the owner ! (Never heard of any such thing in my life) regardless the fact is that Tesla failed me, and this car is no longer supported and I have been robbed by this company in making my purchase based on there I’ll advice!

“Drklain” for you to say I’m a person who’s inexperienced in cars and to go on a personal attack on me stating I’m a self inflated person for my own interests” comment! Shows you are wishing to agitate me and trigger me to possibly get a ban or kicked off this forum (nice try) this is has nothing to do with who you are or me or any other members “self worth” the vehicle was designed wrong , the company lied about warranty , the company did not support or me try to assist me, and they have a very bad customer service ! It is actually you “drkalin” who has no knowledge of new vehicles and sunroof / panoramic roof designs, none are glued or riveted on cars , well maybe they are but not to just replace the roof brackets , one is not expected to remove a whole roof and cut it off a car to replace a sliding glass hinge! This design is stupid and wrong , time wasting , labour intensive , expensive , and not thought out properly !

I’m also not about to take a company to court that I have no evidence of the phone call where they promised me 10 more months warranty on my car (which I’m sure I won’t use anytime in the next 10 months) and free $6 a week supercharging that I probably won’t even have time to go use! A $500 CHAdeMO adapter will do me perfectly fine if I must have “fast charger” but I’m ok to let my car charge overnight at my house in my own convenience whilst I’m fast asleep at night. This post is probably still open as it isn’t here or owned by Tesla company to only paint a one sided picture of this company to be excellent, “it isn’t!” I have no reason to rant or come on here I reply on here every few days clearly it’s not on the top of my to do list on things , but I do feel the need to share my personal experience with people who are about to make a $200,000 plus Investment of my dealings with Tesla in Australia

Does this forum have moderators that can put this thing to rest? There's really nothing to benefit in continuing the same rant by the OP, or members trying to guide him when he's clearly not listening...

Remind me exactly how you have guided env I have taken a lot of valuable information from many of the good fellow members on this forum and am happy I joined such a decent club

Here's and idea for you to consider.... buy another Model S with existing warranty and keep this salvage car as a donor for parts. Many owners of low production vehicles from the past have second or third vehicles as parts donors. You only need a place to store it.

If there are other people anxious to buy your salvaged car what do they see in it that makes the financial side work? Is there a market for parts in AU? Do they have another Models S that needs parts?

This may not be your original dream plan for the car but it could still become a good financial story.

I am waiting to hear how you finally fixed the pano roof including pictures. That would be of value to the forum.

Not sure mate if you’ve seen the photos of the damage or the car , it was only a scratch to the front bumper cover and the front fender replaced, hardly worth parting out to sell in parts, also Australia has a very small market for these cars at the most 1000 I’d say ✌

OP, I can’t speak about Tesla in AU, but I can speak about Tesla in the US. During my 6 years of ownership, I have found Tesla to repeatedly go to extremes to address any concern I have, no matter how small. I have used Tesla service in Maryland, Tennessee, Arizona and Florida. They have been more attentive than the Lexus and MB dealers I used......

The service manual is available on the internet and can also be purchased today at eBay (thou I think the manuals may not be authorized copies). In the US there are a group of people who can root

Thank you ! This is very valuable that there may be a remedy for my issue I would definitely be looking into making contact with these people as I would like to ensure my cars up to date in software and feel I have some sort of support should it be needed ❤️