Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearson Airport 10day cold soak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range mode in my opinion is totally useless. In really cold weather you'd be lucky to get an extra 2% range coupled with the fact you would've less heat. Not worth it.
You could also use "Chill" mode but that too would only gain you a minute savings in cold weather. Better to preplan and use available charging.

I agree for the most part. I would only turn it on in extreme weather if the car was stone cold and I was pushing the range.

Range mode in my opinion is totally useless. In really cold weather you'd be lucky to get an extra 2% range coupled with the fact you would've less heat. Not worth it.
You could also use "Chill" mode but that too would only gain you a minute savings in cold weather. Better to preplan and use available charging.

With this kind of weather, using Range Mode without pre-heating puts all the cabin occupants in "Chilled" Mode.

;)

Thought I would let others know what to expect if the left their car for an extended period outside in cold conditions.

We left our model X at Pearson from the 23rd of December to January 2nd. I did a range charge before we left and parked it with 420km remaining. There was 243km when we got back after 10 days of very cold temperatures. It took 20 min of highway driving to get any regen.

As I have seen before in my model S the main screen stops working when it is very cold - more specifically the light does not work but you can touch the black screen if you remember where the buttons are. The heating can be controlled by the thumb wheels but not the defrost which was a problem. The screen came back on after 10 min and a reset.

The car stopped responding to the phone app about day 4 when it got really cold in Toronto. Had me a little worried but lots of range left after 10 days of constant cold.

I've had my X for about 6 wks. and for 10 days here in Chicago it never got above 20F. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS that they should not even sell a 75 battery in cold climates!

even when fully charged the range is unacceptable when using the heater. The X is hard to keep warm (inside the car) and I often need to run both front and back on high; that's particularly true when driving fast which I assume is due to the large front windshield.

the stated range is 235 miles. but you don't want to get below 15-20% so that's about 190 miles. and the heater uses something like 25 miles per hour so for a 2 hr. trip deduct another 50 miles. SO THE ACTUAL RANGE IS ONLY AROUND 140 miles at best.

Tesla must have only tested in Calif and made a mistake marketing the 75 battery. they really should replace with 100 battery. anyone know how to persuade Elon to do that ???

In my experience, even in the temps described, I'm seldom truly cold in the car, and I never run the heater (I do use the steering-wheel and seat heaters some -- on the low setting.) My 75D has been just fine in the cold snap we had in the Midwest from 12/25 to 1/8 except for the fact that regenerative braking can be almost entirely absent. Even that problem can be overcome by scheduling the car to still be charging when preparing to leave the garage (this strategy works better with Range Mode "off").
In my callow youth, I remember seeing cars advertised "with R/H" which was shorthand for "radio and heater." Heaters were an option, not standard equipment. It may come as a shock to some Millennials, but it is possible to survive in an automobile in the winter without running a heater. Simply dress like it's winter. I'm afraid that in the EV age, we're going to need to remember that.

Non-Tesla owner (yet).. is it possible for short periods (say <24 hrs) to keep the battery warm, and the cabin at a reasonable temp (40F) in the very cold (below 0F) using just the battery? I don't mind losing the range.. I'm talking about for a normal commute during the day at work.

Non-Tesla owner (yet).. is it possible for short periods (say <24 hrs) to keep the battery warm, and the cabin at a reasonable temp (40F) in the very cold (below 0F) using just the battery? I don't mind losing the range.. I'm talking about for a normal commute during the day at work.

Yes. If range is no problem, you can get the cabin very warm, even at -30F. It just takes and hour of preheating after charging up.

I've had my X for about 6 wks. and for 10 days here in Chicago it never got above 20F. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS that they should not even sell a 75 battery in cold climates!

even when fully charged the range is unacceptable when using the heater. The X is hard to keep warm (inside the car) and I often need to run both front and back on high; that's particularly true when driving fast which I assume is due to the large front windshield.

the stated range is 235 miles. but you don't want to get below 15-20% so that's about 190 miles. and the heater uses something like 25 miles per hour so for a 2 hr. trip deduct another 50 miles. SO THE ACTUAL RANGE IS ONLY AROUND 140 miles at best.

Tesla must have only tested in Calif and made a mistake marketing the 75 battery. they really should replace with 100 battery. anyone know how to persuade Elon to do that ???

I have the 75 X and drove from Rochester, NY to Troy with a stopover at the Utica supercharger. Total distance of 240 miles and about 100 miles left at Utica. I'm not seeing the same thing in western NY and it definitely is cold here.

My 75D has been just fine in the cold snap we had in the Midwest from 12/25 to 1/8 except for the fact that regenerative braking can be almost entirely absent. Even that problem can be overcome by scheduling the car to still be charging when preparing to leave the garage (this strategy works better with Range Mode "off").

That variability in regen is a design flaw that I wish Tesla would fix by diverting any regen above what the battery can accept due to low temperature into warming the battery. Seems like a win-win: getting regen into the battery faster and a consistent experience for the driver.

Yes. If range is no problem, you can get the cabin very warm, even at -30F. It just takes and hour of preheating after charging up.
I'm referring to no "charging up" though... arrive somewhere with no charging station, and it just stays lukewarm throughout the day.

The corollary question is whether you can keep it warm enough to have immediate regen upon departure, and if so, what temp that is.

Absolutely, you should never ever do a 100% charge and let the car sit. Range charging is meant for long trips. Your battery, sorry to say, has now lost some of its range.
I believe that only applies if you charge all the way up and leave the vehicle in extremely hot temperatures. I agree that parking after the trip to the airport left the car at 90% and then parking in extreme cold should not have caused any damage.

Wipers freeze and simply don't do the job, doors won't open or shut easily or sometimes at all, heater inadequate, rear defroster terrible...this is a car not designed for cold weather. Period. At least a 40% reduction in range in cold weather. The outside mirrors are simply inoperable when cold and wet. Very dangerous. This is my second midwestern winter with my X. The X is garaged at home and outside at work. Yesterday we had freezing rain and sleet. The X was awful under such conditions. Good thing i kept our ICE vehicle.

Wipers freeze and simply don't do the job, doors won't open or shut easily or sometimes at all, heater inadequate, rear defroster terrible...this is a car not designed for cold weather. Period. At least a 40% reduction in range in cold weather. The outside mirrors are simply inoperable when cold and wet. Very dangerous. This is my second midwestern winter with my X. The X is garaged at home and outside at work. Yesterday we had freezing rain and sleet. The X was awful under such conditions. Good thing i kept our ICE vehicle.

I think there are a few others that will tear this apart. All I can say is that I have just come out of my third really cold spell this winter and my model S performed just like any car I have owns in the past.

In terms of winter performance are you using winter tires? Freezing rain, slush, snow, ice, and all combinations with no issues from my perspective.

Good luck with some things others are sure to write.

I had my wipers freeze for the first time ever, yesterday. Temperature went from +12 to -12 in a few hours, raining/snowing throughout. I think that was just extreme conditions. In the previous 5 winters I never had it happen.

One thing I do when it's going to snow is put the wipers in Service Mode after parking. Kinda like how people often lift their wipers on other cars so they won't freeze in place.

The rear window heater on the 100D is definitely weaker than my 2012 P85. Don't know why they would do that... maybe a totally misguided attempt to save power consumption? But it does work; it's just slower.

Cabin heater works fine. Range reduction, aside from initial pack and cabin heating, is similar to all other cars. You just don't notice as much that you're spending a lot more on gas. The Tesla tells you exactly how much more energy you're using; gas cars are very vague about it.

That variability in regen is a design flaw that I wish Tesla would fix by diverting any regen above what the battery can accept due to low temperature into warming the battery.

OR, you can do what every other Tesla driver does in Canada, pre-heat the car for 30 minutes. That solves the problem of no regen, and provides a warm car that is comfortable to drive immediately. Feature!

I just wonder when and which EV would be the First EV to drive to the North Pole.

I think this would be possible by recharging the batteries using solar panels,
since during the summer the sun is always up!

Top Gear: Polar Special
Toyota Hilux uses jet fuel to reach Antarctica

And using EV would be less controversial... Top Gear team in hot water over Pole race

toyota-hilux-antarctica-6x6-front-625x390.jpg

The Russian Marine Live-Ice Automobile Expedition (MLAE 2013) expedition was totally self-dependent and used no external supplies.

The expedition started on March 2013 from Golomyanny Island and reached the Pole on 6 April
and then continued to the Canadian coast, and on 5 May 2013 the expedition finished in Resolute Bay, NU.

The way between the Russian borderland and the Canadian coast took 55 days;
it was ~2300 km across drifting ice and about 4000 km in total.

1599px-ML130310.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12
This is my 4th winter season and really no big issues. Yes, the door handle was frozen once and the window channel sometime freezes. Also the low front radar unit ices up in a snow storm. My Model S is always exposed to the elements in the driveway.
You can solve the window channel freezing with some 18" plastic wrap in this manner:
wrap_1_jerry.jpg
wrap_2_jerry.jpg
wrap_3_jerry.jpg
wrap_4_jerry.jpg