Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was reasonably effective on my Zoe. Fairly quiet noise up to around 16mph, automatically. You could select different sounds but I don’t think it could be turned off. Of course useless with people engrossed in their phoned or with headphones in. People generally need to be more aware of their surroundings, EV or ICE.
I’m sure I read somewhere that only commercial vehicles are allowed to make a warning noise in reverse.

It’s horrible.

Plenty of small engine ICE cars are inaudible at low speeds the same as an EV is. Plus there’s all the existing EVs etc out there that aren’t obliged to have it.

I’m thankful my Model 3 - when it arrives - won’t have this crap, and if it did I’d get it disconnected.

People need to be educated that if they’re walking alongside a road, or around a car park, that they should expect moving vehicles. It’s not hard, and it’s basic common sense.

People need to be educated that if they’re walking alongside a road, or around a car park,

Difficult to educate people with sight problems. Easier to educate the drivers to expect the unexpected. The PWS does no harm, is largely inaudible inside the car and if it saves just one person from serious injury, its well worth it. Why do some people have to treat it as if it was some klaxon fitted to the car?

It’s horrible.
Plus there’s all the existing EVs etc out there that aren’t obliged to have it.
Even though they predate this legislation, the reality is that virtually all existing EVs already have a pedestrian warning sound. The Nissan Leaf, Kona electric, Kia Niro, Renault Zoe, Jaguar I-Pace - they’ve all got it, obliged or not!

I can understand some people not liking it, but it’s the law. One of the reasons it has become law is because of lobbying by groups for the blind and partially sighted.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Difficult to educate people with sight problems. Easier to educate the drivers to expect the unexpected. The PWS does no harm, is largely inaudible inside the car and if it saves just one person from serious injury, its well worth it. Why do some people have to treat it as if it was some klaxon fitted to the car?
That’s a fair point, but the point remains that plenty of small engine ICE cars are essentially inaudible too at pedestrian speeds and aren’t required to have this fitted.

To turn your point on it’s head somewhat, shouldn’t the burden of responsibility fall almost entirely on the driver of the car to be observant of pedestrians etc rather than relying on a PWS, perhaps dangerously so as a substitute for their own preparedness, to alert them when they might not hear it anyway? (headphones, partially or fully deaf etc)

Reactions: Roy W.