Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I’ve heard on here yet, but it will come.

When the Model 3 does get it, UK law says it has to be able to be switched off, but I’ll bet that will be each time the car is started, as opposed to a “sticky” setting.

It’s hardly intrusive. I think I heard it (once reversing) coming from the car in the video with snow tracks. Didn’t hear it any other time. Other videos with it on cars, you only notice it because it’s been recorded in quiet surroundings.

In all fairness, I have had multiple instances of sneaking up behind people and having to wind my window down to politely ask them to move out of the way.
It’s not nice to honk your horn on them (although it’s be undeniably funny!).
I guess a “pedestrian horn” would work just as well, but the idea of a somewhat discrete but audible sound at low speeds is growing on me...
I just REALLY hope we’re able to customise it!
TIE fighter noise for me, please! ;)

Reactions: pow216
Have you ever stood on a curb on a busy street and listened to an ICE car creeping up you at 4mpg. They are as silent as electric vehicles. The noise happens when they have passed you.

Oddly the problem with people not hearing me in car parks only seems to be a problem in our Tesla. They seem perfectly aware of me in my ICE car.

Also, PWS is effective up to 20mph when an ICE will be quite noticeable - only tyre noise at that speed for an EV which is difficult to locate - PWS noises need to meet criteria that make location and direction much easier to determine.

Reactions: Roy W. and R.A.G
I guess a “pedestrian horn” would work just as well, but the idea of a somewhat discrete but audible sound at low speeds is growing on me...

I agree with the "pedestrian horn" idea where you press a button to make a soft noise. (Though winding down a window works perfectly well ..) I hate the idea of a sound being made automatically, even when not needed. It smacks of when in this country, in the early days of motor cars, you had to have a man with a red flag walking in front of the vehicle at all times!

Reactions: pow216
I originally thought that all cars from July 2019 had to emit a sound but the European Commission's own website makes it as clear as mud.

A new Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2017/1576 mandates that all new types of electric and hybrid cars to be fitted with a new safety device as from 1 July 2019, the acoustic vehicle alerting system (AVAS).

The device will automatically generate a sound from the start of the car up to the speed of approximately 20 km/h, and during reversing. The sound-emitting device will be obligatory in all new e-cars as of 1 July 2021.

So, is it 2019 or 2021? Also I note that it includes reversing when there is another law that says only vans/lorries may make a sound when reversing. I am now confused (Some would say no difference there!)

I originally thought that all cars from July 2019 had to emit a sound but the European Commission's own website makes it as clear as mud.

A new Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2017/1576 mandates that all new types of electric and hybrid cars to be fitted with a new safety device as from 1 July 2019, the acoustic vehicle alerting system (AVAS).

The device will automatically generate a sound from the start of the car up to the speed of approximately 20 km/h, and during reversing. The sound-emitting device will be obligatory in all new e-cars as of 1 July 2021.

So, is it 2019 or 2021? Also I note that it includes reversing when there is another law that says only vans/lorries may make a sound when reversing. I am now confused (Some would say no difference there!)
I think it effectively means that the 1 July 2019 date only applies to new models introduced after that date. Because the Model 3 was released before then, the date does not apply. The Model 3 will need the pedestrian warning sound on all cars delivered after 1 July 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: metamix and Mark_T