Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I think I'm finally on this fabled refund "list". I finally got in touch with someone on the phone who knew about the refund and offered to fill out some form, but their tone made me wonder if they actually did anything. I guess I'll see.

Here's what it took for me to finally get here:
- 3-4 phone calls: most told me they didn't know what was going on until this most recent phone call. Some offered to have someone call me back, but that never happened.
- email to customer support: got a quick canned response but it didn't address my refund question.
- asked question via online account: still no response even though I "escalated" it.

I do have PUP but my initial email looked the same. I wrote back and insisted that I want the $5k refund and will give up supercharging if I have to to which they replied ok and let me know the check would be mailed within 4 weeks.

If we P3D don't get option of a refund and if we don't get track mode. Is time to take it to Twitter. I still have hope so we will see what happens

If we P3D don't get option of a refund and if we don't get track mode. Is time to take it to Twitter. I still have hope so we will see what happens
I submitted a question yesterday asking for a PUP upgrade or refund and that if it wasn't possible I expect a complete refund when I go in to return my car.

I have several friends whom are considering a purchase and looking to me for advice on the matter. I will be more than happy to tell all of them to stay far far away from Tesla if they can't resolve this fairly.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MP3Mike
I do have PUP but my initial email looked the same. I wrote back and insisted that I want the $5k refund and will give up supercharging if I have to to which they replied ok and let me know the check would be mailed within 4 weeks.
I wrote back to them that I am not happy about this decision as the ongoing delivery experience is poor, but that I am especially unhappy that they are offering refunds to P3D+ owners while treating P3D- owners differently as we are both affected by the price change.

I doubt they will email me back.

I also doubt I will buy another tesla, although I still plan to have this one for a long time. I commend tesla to making electric cars a reality, but dislike how they are running things and treat their customers. Now hopefully some other companies will step forward and release some better vehicles so I don't have to deal with tesla again.

I also wonder what people will do that have P3d- on order. Hopefully they don't stick it to them like the rest of us who recently completed delivery or are still waiting for their cars to get back from the service department to correct delivery issues.

Sharing my timeline so others can gauge how patient they should be and what to expect as P3D+ owner.

Reserved on Day 1 in 2016

08/05/2018 - After test drove P3D+ at Tesla HQ, to verify P3D+ is a$$ kicking sleeper. I ordered my P3D+ with all options, fancy paint, white interior, PUO, EAP, FSD. (I have major case of FOMO)

09/09/2018 - Took delivery. At the time of my order Tesla was promoting FUSC when ordering with referral code for P3, X and S. So I got FUSC with my P3D+

10/27/2019 - I submitted refund request via my account on Tesla website, the day after Elon announced refund for P3D+ purchasers.

11/06/2018 - Parker reached out to me, try to convince me FUSC is a great value instead of $5k refund. I responded by asking for the $5K refund while keeping the FUSC because in my case the FUSC was from the referral promotion.

11/07/2018 - Parker responded. Either $5k refund or FUSC, but not both. This makes zero sense to me from marketing and customer satisfaction perspective as they are promoting 1 year free SC when using referral code with all current orders.

Anyway, I'll take the $5k refund in a heartbeat, FUSC might be worth $100/yr to me at the most. But it is the principle of this whole situation that irritates me.

I responded to my initial rejection from Tesla with a calm thoughtful response as to why the original response wasn't satisfactory to me, and this is the response I got:

Thanks for your reply. We understand this is not the answer you're looking for but we appreciate your time in looking into this situation.

Needless to say this is a non-responsive answer and I'm more than disappointed in it. I'm starting to get angry.

I responded to my initial rejection from Tesla with a calm thoughtful response as to why the original response wasn't satisfactory to me, and this is the response I got:

Thanks for your reply. We understand this is not the answer you're looking for but we appreciate your time in looking into this situation.

Needless to say this is a non-responsive answer and I'm more than disappointed in it. I'm starting to get angry.
Almost sounds passive aggressive. The only way they will learn is if they lose customers. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
I cannot believe it. It feels too good to be true.

20181108_180436.jpg

And to risk rubbing more salt into the wounds of P3D- owners Tesla released some information on track mode that is supposed to be released today: How Track Mode Works

So it sounds like P3D- owners won't be getting track mode. (At least at this time.) My guess is that the brakes just aren't up to the task. (Not to mention the stock tires.)
Not only would that contradict Elon's tweet but if you read the link on how track mode works, it specifically states that when engaged it will use the brakes much less by turning on an extreme version of regen. So definitely you don't need the red painted brakes which in my opinion don't have any more stopping power than the regular ones anyway. Model 3's issue with stopping power on the track is that of heat dissipation not of requiring larger calipers. And MMP awesome 365mm rotors (which are arguably better than the PUP ones in every way) have already solved the brake fade issue for us with P3D-.

Track mode for P3D-.JPG

Last edited:

Take a look at a screen shot from the manual:

261566cf-67bb-4661-acc0-20604977edf0-jpeg.350972

It very clear says that "Track Mode, available only on Performance Model 3 vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Package..."

Maybe Elon meant all new performance cars after they made the Performance Upgrade Package standard? Or maybe they will make a gimped version in the future for cars without the upgraded brakes?

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Here's a lens you have to use for *every* product related announcement from Musk: He consistently makes statements like "all Model S performance" or "all Model 3 performance" meaning -- in fact all -- that are being produced from here on out. Anything produced before his "announcements" may or may not apply. This has been consistent since day 1. I won't bore you with all of the specific incidents, but I have now been caught on the wrong side of 2 of them. Still an advocate, still love my cars, but that doesn't take all the sting out of it when you just miss a product improvement.

Do not get your hopes up on a free PUP upgrade. Just do the math.
Read his tweet a little closer. Notice that his answer is specifically to a person that asked "what about those without PUP". Elon's answer to him was "We will enable track mode for all performance cars". Can't be any clearer than that even for Elon.

Track mode for P3D-.JPG

y clear says that "Track Mode, available only on Performance Model 3 vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Package..."

Maybe Elon meant all new performance cars after they made the Performance Upgrade Package standard? Or maybe they will make a gimped version in the future for cars without the upgraded brakes?
Yes it's pretty clear AWD+ (formerly known as P3D-) will not get track mode either. It's quite clear Elon / Tesla does not consider our cars performance models anymore and he was referring to Performance Cars that are currently in production.

Also PUP is not clear, he may have taken that to mean Premium Upgrade Package while smoking his bong.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MXWing

261566cf-67bb-4661-acc0-20604977edf0-jpeg.350972

It very clear says that "Track Mode, available only on Performance Model 3 vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Package..."

This was written before the whole deal with the price change and PUP inclusion as standard. That tweet is more recent and coming directly from Elon in response to an owner with no PUP.

Second, I don't think there really was any technical limitation of track mode not working properly on P3D- because I don't think the red brakes really are that much different in stopping power. In fact if you read that Tesla article about how track mode works, they mention that their system works on any dual motor. I bet it would work on AWD too.

Its true that they didn't offer track mode before for non PUP but that decision was as artificial marketing decision which Elon reversed in the tweet.

This was written before the whole deal with the price change and PUP inclusion as standard. That tweet is more recent and coming directly from Elon in response to an owner with no PUP.

Second, I don't think there really was any technical limitation of track mode not working properly on P3D- because I don't think the red brakes really are that much different in stopping power. In fact if you read that Tesla article about how track mode works, they mention that their system works on any dual motor. I bet it would work on AWD too.

Its true that they didn't offer track mode before for non PUP but that decision was as artificial marketing decision which Elon reversed in the tweet.
Isn't that screenshot from the manual of a P3D that received the track mode update today? Can't be any more clear than that!

Reactions: MP3Mike