Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this today:
“Hello [xxxxx], Thank you for the confirmation. I have submitted the refund for $5,000 and the removal of your Free, Unlimited Supercharging. The check will be mailed to your physical address on file within the next 4 weeks. [address] Thank you for being a Tesla owner and helping to transition the world to sustainable energy. Sincerely, Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752

After some back and forth, I got this exact email today regarding my P3+. I sent an email to the main customer support email address and first got the "FUSC is great" reply. I asked again about the refund, and they asked me to verify my information.

I called them a couple of times, but the best I got from that was that I was on a list. This seems more substantial than that, so now I wait.

After some back and forth, I got this exact email today regarding my P3+. I sent an email to the main customer support email address and first got the "FUSC is great" reply. I asked again about the refund, and they asked me to verify my information.

I called them a couple of times, but the best I got from that was that I was on a list. This seems more substantial than that, so now I wait.

How long did it take them to get back to you? I sent them an email over a week ago and no response.

I had to send more than one before I got the "You get nothing " enjoy your FUSC on your FUSC response . You might try sending an email every day until they respond. My nearest supercharger is over 35 miles away and it's already free for all teslas...

I've already put about 700 kWh in supercharges in my car (in 1.5 months)....so FUSC almost feels better. But if I didn't have it I'd just charge at home.

Looking for feedback from y'all. I want to send it to them "escalated to management". You can copy it and do the same if you like...

I think you should start a new thread to garner more attention, then send an email to Tesla linking back to here or collaborate on a message we could send them.

Example: Vote on Performance M3 Non-PUP Refund

In exchange for my free supercharging:

A. $5K refund
B. Free hardware PUP hardware upgrade with track mode
C. Free EAP
D. Free FSD
E. Any of the above

Reactions: juanmedina
As a P3D- owner I sent an email to [email protected] on 11/6/18 and asked for the 5K exchange with FUSC. I got this reply in the next day:

"I'd be happy to help with that; the $5000.00 refund does revoke your lifetime of free supercharging on your vehicle that's not included in the reduced price performance Model 3's would you still like me to submit your request ?"

That same day I responded with, yes I want the 5K for FUSC deal but didn't get a reply back. I sent an email everyday since that day asking if I have been put on the list. Today, 9 days and 9 emails later, I got this reply:

"We are still waiting for the final word from finance on the expected turn around time & how these are being addressed. I did some digging around in your account & saw that your initial request has been submitted so as soon as we have further information someone will be reaching out to you as soon as possible, thank you !"

It looks like you have to ask and ask and ask and go through enough people and eventually you might get the right person and actually get somewhere. Or maybe not and its all a big waste of time.

I just got the canned "suck it P3D- owner" email.

Told them they can F off. Seriously. How can they give people who paid the same price on the same day two totally different cars? At least give me the F"N STICK ON SPOILER and STINKIN' BADGES ;)
Heck. I paid for the damn spoiler and don't have it either. It's been 3 months. :/

As a P3D- owner I sent an email to [email protected] on 11/6/18 and asked for the 5K exchange with FUSC. I got this reply in the next day:

"I'd be happy to help with that; the $5000.00 refund does revoke your lifetime of free supercharging on your vehicle that's not included in the reduced price performance Model 3's would you still like me to submit your request ?"

That same day I responded with, yes I want the 5K for FUSC deal but didn't get a reply back. I sent an email everyday since that day asking if I have been put on the list. Today, 9 days and 9 emails later, I got this reply:

"We are still waiting for the final word from finance on the expected turn around time & how these are being addressed. I did some digging around in your account & saw that your initial request has been submitted so as soon as we have further information someone will be reaching out to you as soon as possible, thank you !"

It looks like you have to ask and ask and ask and go through enough people and eventually you might get the right person and actually get somewhere. Or maybe not and its all a big waste of time.
Sounds like the first guy just didn't understand that there is no process currently. Just a list of people requesting.

Yeah, I am also a P3D- owner, and after saying I'd like to get the refund over FUSC, I received an email saying they submitted my refund and asked for the best email to contact me on, which obviously was the email on my account. I gave it to them, but I don't plan on bugging them to get a status update. They will or they won't do something about it. If they do, I have a feeling it may not be until 2019. If not, I still have my car! So it is just a wait and see game really.

OK, we now have two data points @Perry and @wbhokie who have P3D Stealth (without PUP) and have formal communications from Tesla that indicate a refund in process. Can the two of you please keep us posted regarding further progress?

This is in contrast to several other Stealth owners who have received what appears to be a form letter saying "you have FUSC, that's it".

So, clearly, this is not a shut "no refund" case. Hopefully just confusion on Tesla's end with various people trying to implement what they think is the policy.

While I think it is pretty important for us Stealth owners to keep our righteous indignation evident... I think it is also important to be persistent and insistent in communications with Tesla if you want refund. Don't propose other stuff they've never offered (PUP retrofit, FSD...), don't insist on both refund and FUSC. If you get a "no" email, just re-iterate that you want the refund in exchange for FUSC per the CEOs communique. Let's see how this plays out.

PS... Just had an "if I were Tesla marketing" idea: Current P3D with PUP included is an $11k premium over 3D. After refund, P3D Stealth owners have paid $6k premium over 3D (at today's pricing). Assuming AWD is software upgradable to P, Tesla should offer "uncorking" upgrade to P3D Stealth for $5k. Sure, as a prior Stealth owner, I paid $1k more for it... but not getting excited over that. I'll bet the "uncorked P" program would more than cover the refunds in pure margin, and nobody would be P'd off (so to speak).

PS... Just had an "if I were Tesla marketing" idea: Current P3D with PUP included is an $11k premium over 3D. After refund, P3D Stealth owners have paid $6k premium over 3D (at today's pricing). Assuming AWD is software upgradable to P, Tesla should offer "uncorking" upgrade to P3D Stealth for $5k. Sure, as a prior Stealth owner, I paid $1k more for it... but not getting excited over that. I'll bet the "uncorked P" program would more than cover the refunds in pure margin, and nobody would be P'd off (so to speak).

That's not a new idea :)

Folks have been discussing the idea of a software uncork for AWD for weeks and months now as it became increasingly obviously the AWD and P were physically the same power train.

Though you touch on an important point- many felt it would have to be priced above 11k to not kill P sales/upset P owners... after all Tesla routinely charges more for a post-delivery upgrade than a pre-delivery option.

But since the P3D- no longer exists as a new product it wouldn't kill sales of those at all.... and folks who cared about track stuff would still need to spring for the 11k upgrade... so a 5k uncork for AWD is a lot more tenable a business option now than it was a month or two ago.

Still I expect they'd wait until Model 3 sales had been open to the rest of the world for a couple of quarters so anybody who wants a P JUST for the 0-60 speed gets forced into spending 11k for it before they offer em a cheaper way to get it.

OK, we now have two data points @Perry and @wbhokie who have P3D Stealth (without PUP) and have formal communications from Tesla that indicate a refund in process. Can the two of you please keep us posted regarding further progress?

This is in contrast to several other Stealth owners who have received what appears to be a form letter saying "you have FUSC, that's it".

So, clearly, this is not a shut "no refund" case. Hopefully just confusion on Tesla's end with various people trying to implement what they think is the policy.

While I think it is pretty important for us Stealth owners to keep our righteous indignation evident... I think it is also important to be persistent and insistent in communications with Tesla if you want refund. Don't propose other stuff they've never offered (PUP retrofit, FSD...), don't insist on both refund and FUSC. If you get a "no" email, just re-iterate that you want the refund in exchange for FUSC per the CEOs communique. Let's see how this plays out.

I personally don't feel any sort of righteous indignation. I just saw the tweets and thought... great, if I maybe can get a refund out of it then why not try? My IDA never replied to the email I sent her. I submitted a question through the website portal, and linked and quoted Elon's tweets, stating that I purchased a Performance Model 3 and would prefer the option of a $5,000 refund while giving up my FUSC for it as Elon stated. If it doesn't happen, I don't feel like I've lost anything.

While they did say they "submitted my refund", they also did not include the "Mail the check in 4-6 weeks" blah blah like some other people saw, so take that with a grain of salt too. I don't expect anything to come of it, so it is impossible for me to be disappointed at the outcome!

When I ordered my P3D- I was told it would get track mode. Elon tweeted all Performance will get track mode. So either this wasn't true, or they don't consider my car a Performance model. My ask is simple, provide me with track mode and whatever hardware is required to do do.

It seems like there will be zero communication on the subject until a software release that may never happen. The lack of communication is really frustrating. I really can't imagine them having the logistic capabilities to deliver an after purchase performance package though.

That's not a new idea :)

Folks have been discussing the idea of a software uncork for AWD for weeks and months now as it became increasingly obviously the AWD and P were physically the same power train.

Though you touch on an important point- many felt it would have to be priced above 11k to not kill P sales/upset P owners... after all Tesla routinely charges more for a post-delivery upgrade than a pre-delivery option.

But since the P3D- no longer exists as a new product it wouldn't kill sales of those at all.... and folks who cared about track stuff would still need to spring for the 11k upgrade... so a 5k uncork for AWD is a lot more tenable a business option now than it was a month or two ago.

Still I expect they'd wait until Model 3 sales had been open to the rest of the world for a couple of quarters so anybody who wants a P JUST for the 0-60 speed gets forced into spending 11k for it before they offer em a cheaper way to get it.
Sure, I know the uncorking has been discussed to death. What I was suggesting was a pricing scheme that would make everyone more or less happy and recoup Tesla’s refund cost, which would be progress from where we are today. Agree that if Tesla thinks that would cannibalize their P3D PUP business they might not want to offer. It’s a price elasticity analysis they would have to undertake.