Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first experience with phantom braking last night. Was coming home from my son's hockey practice on a two lane dark road. Thought I'd try out the auto steer or whatever the thing is called when you tap down twice quickly and it keeps you within the lanes. Was coming up to a green light going ~80km/h, as I was getting into the intersection the car braked hard, scared the *sugar* out of both myself and my son. Thank God there was no one behind us.

WTF Tesla?

Reactions: Zalick
Just returned from a 450 mile trip from home to Saratoga Springs NY and return. On the way up, I used AP for most of the I-87 part of the trip (over 100 miles). No phantom events, but a few slow-downs as cars drifted over the lane marker between the 2 lanes, which is reacting as it should be. Didn't use AutoSteer too much on the way home as I knew I'd be distracted by the Jets game on XM and wanted to make sure I stayed alert to actual driving...

It was also nice to be able to go 210 miles on one tank of electrons. Charged to 95% just south of Saratoga and made it to my house, 210 miles, with 10% left. Although I will say that it's also nice to stop half-way home to stretch, use the facilities, etc. TACC set for 73 mph, which I find is a good compromise between speed and efficiency. 264 wh/mi for the trip.

We had a slew of phantom breaking events on Hwy 395 in the eastern Sierra a couple weeks ago. It's a flat road down a valley and straight as a could be. Little to no traffic we'd be coming up on a cross road w/no traffic on it and the MY would break for no reason whatsoever. This was with stock cruise control on and "auto emergency breaking" option turned off.

I set up a service appointment and got a call from Tesla basically saying they're aware of the issue and working on it. Well it seems they've been working on it for quite a while, to no avail. The guy asked me to report each incident by pressing the voice commands button and saying "Bug Report", where you are and what happened. So it would seem that we're still their beta testers and that's not something I signed up for. I did file a report with NHTSA about this. Fortunately these phantom breaking events don't happen on drives locally or up or down the coast.

Reactions: xls_
Had my first experience with phantom braking last night. Was coming home from my son's hockey practice on a two lane dark road. Thought I'd try out the auto steer or whatever the thing is called when you tap down twice quickly and it keeps you within the lanes. Was coming up to a green light going ~80km/h, as I was getting into the intersection the car braked hard, scared the *sugar* out of both myself and my son. Thank God there was no one behind us.

WTF Tesla?
When coming to signals at intersections, unless someone is just ahead of you and keeps driving through, your car will brake unless you press the accelerator to indicate you agree it's safe to proceed. You should have gotten a pop up telling you this shortly before the intersection. So the car behaved as designed, just needed you to confirm via the accelerator. Again, if you're following another car that goes through first you should be able to cruise through too without doing anything.

Reactions: pbcsd
We had a slew of phantom breaking events on Hwy 395 in the eastern Sierra a couple weeks ago. It's a flat road down a valley and straight as a could be. Little to no traffic we'd be coming up on a cross road w/no traffic on it and the MY would break for no reason whatsoever. This was with stock cruise control on and "auto emergency breaking" option turned off.

I set up a service appointment and got a call from Tesla basically saying they're aware of the issue and working on it. Well it seems they've been working on it for quite a while, to no avail. The guy asked me to report each incident by pressing the voice commands button and saying "Bug Report", where you are and what happened. So it would seem that we're still their beta testers and that's not something I signed up for. I did file a report with NHTSA about this. Fortunately these phantom breaking events don't happen on drives locally or up or down the coast.
This was my experience exactly, same conditions in Utah and several (many) times. Put in a ticket and was advised they found no hardware issues and the software is beta so.... Now much worse than before the vision only update.

When coming to signals at intersections, unless someone is just ahead of you and keeps driving through, your car will brake unless you press the accelerator to indicate you agree it's safe to proceed. You should have gotten a pop up telling you this shortly before the intersection. So the car behaved as designed, just needed you to confirm via the accelerator. Again, if you're following another car that goes through first you should be able to cruise through too without doing anything.
We were driving down 395 in the eastern Sierra, no cars ahead of us and none in the oncoming lanes (separated by a wide median) and the car would brake hard 200 yds or so ahead of an intersection with no traffic signals.

Juse received my Model.Y 4 days ago and it has the problem of fantom braking with oncoming large vehicles on 2 lane roads
I have the same problem on my 2023 MY LR. Just on cruise control. Big rigs on two Lane, shallows on a clean sunny day (cold out). This all happened on a trip from LA to Boise. Happened about 4 times each going to and coming back to LA. Luckily there was nobody close behind us.
Hope Tesla fits this?

I have the same problem on my 2023 MY LR. Just on cruise control. Big rigs on two Lane, shallows on a clean sunny day (cold out). This all happened on a trip from LA to Boise. Happened about 4 times each going to and coming back to LA. Luckily there was nobody close behind us.
Hope Tesla fits this?
If you have AP, cruise control is TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) which is just Autopilot with you steering. Phantom breaking will be the same between those modes.
This has been a problem for at least 5 years, don't hold your breath for a fix any time soon. If it was easy they would have done it years ago.

If you have AP, cruise control is TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) which is just Autopilot with you steering. Phantom breaking will be the same between those modes.
This has been a problem for at least 5 years, don't hold your breath for a fix any time soon. If it was easy they would have done it years ago.
It seems to the problem that it slams on the brakes when it is in a situation which can be best described as
1. Not enough information to make a decision
2. No change in scenery ie lonesome roads with no activity. It slams on because that is also not expected in general.

Reactions: LodiEVFan
It seems to the problem that it slams on the brakes when it is in a situation which can be best described as
1. Not enough information to make a decision
2. No change in scenery ie lonesome roads with no activity. It slams on because that is also not expected in general.
Thanks enemji. Your #2 certainly fits the instances of phantom braking that I experienced. And that is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Reactions: enemji
So was driving my son to hockey yesterday up a local 6 lane highway. I noticed in my rear view mirror two other Model Y's coming up to me, one clearly just looking to pass (black one) and a white one in the left lane just cruising at a higher speed.

The black one passed and changed lanes. The white one had just passed me on the left, I was using Auto Pilot or whatever it's called (to stay in the blue lanes), and as I was coming up to an overpass, my car started to brake out of the blue and I had to hit the accelerator.

What was interesting was that I noticed the white Model Y that had just slowly passed me on my left side also braked almost a second before I did coming up to the same overpass. Obviously have no idea if he/she was using Auto-pilot.

Thankfully it wasn't a super hard phantom brake given there was a car right behind me.

Phantom Braking will not go away as long as Tesla utilizes Tesla Vision as the only passive sensor of information. The inclusion of active sensors such as Radar or Lidar will mitigate the problem that Tesla Vision can't deal with on its own. Sorry for the bad news folks.