Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Indicators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my first trip to the UK in my 2020 M3. Having accepted (in France) that I have to manage the embarrassment of sometimes appearing to brake test other drivers when coming up to bridges, I was surprised to experience another phenomenon driving in the UK on Autopilot. At first, I thought I was imagining it but on my drive down the A3 to Portsmouth, I noticed that when the road branches to the left and I have to stay on the A3, on about three occasions, my right indicator blinked twice, presumably to show I was not turning off. This would be fine except when you have someone in the outside lane on your rear right, they think you've gone mad and want to pull out in front of them even though no one is in front of you.
Is this just me or has anyone else experienced this issue?

Not just you. I've had odd indicating at off ramps before but cannot remember the exact circumstances, but sound similar - these are in addition to the redundant right indicator that very often occurs just after joining from an entry slip. On one occasion, I think it was Oxford on M40 heading north, the car indicated completely confusing me and I ended up hitting wipers and disengaging NoA. But that was I think the opposite of yours - possibly it thought it was turning off. I also had it once on NoA in poor weather, so different circumstances, where NoA was unavailable so did not offer auto lane change so car did not move across left to get in off ramp lane (and remained in central lane), but it still indicated left as if it was turning off (so move across 2 lanes) and more worrying, start to decelerate exactly as if it had gone up the off ramp. It again confused the hell out of me and probably would have scared the life out of any car following had there been one and I had allowed the car to come to a stop.

In addition, since last couple of releases, unless I'm going even more mad, I have had the car indicate a couple of blinks for no reason what so ever on non motorway/dual carriageways. I don't even think I was near any junction - maybe I got half the city streets beta without knowing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkeur
I get this regularly on three motorway when in the left lane going past the off ramp with navigate on autopilot on. Just a few blinks. Seems exactly like the car indicating that it's not leaving the motorway, which is silly and annoying for everyone involved.

Not just you. I've had odd indicating at off ramps before but cannot remember the exact circumstances, but sound similar

Yes, I had a few for no apparent reason.

I get this regularly on three motorway when in the left lane going past the off ramp with navigate on autopilot on. Just a few blinks.
Well thanks for the confirmation. The bizarre thing is, while driving in France, although there are other NOA bugs...this isn't one of them. I guess it must be an issue just for driving on the left...

Well thanks for the confirmation. The bizarre thing is, while driving in France, although there are other NOA bugs...this isn't one of them. I guess it must be an issue just for driving on the left...

My gut feeling is that its at least partly a mapping issue - so no quick fix although since my Oxford experience (I think Dec 2019) I have had at least one nav update that stuck.

NoA slowing and behaving as if it was on off ramp even though 'bad weather, NoA unavailable' and me being in middle lane is almost certainly an implementation issue - that was probably May/June this year so a few updates since then. Difficult to retest as its obviously influenced by climatic conditions. I forgot to add in my earlier post, NoA was set to turn off at this off ramp, but as it didn't offer to move over lanes to offramp (its a lane drop/gain slip road junction) I was happy to stick where I was and come off at next junction - both are equally convenient. So as far as NoA was concerned, it was exiting at that junction, but car position said quite different.

This may be similar to the Oxford experience, except that one, NoA was set to continue on the Motorway and not turn off. This, and other reports of cars behaving as if they were following an adjacent over/under pass makes you question the cars ability to know exactly what section/lane it is actually driving.

Oddly the owner's manual doesn't say how to cancel the indicators, but it's a light press for the same side as currently flashing indicator - a sort of toggle.

I always cancel by light press in opposite direction (much like I've done with previous cars). My preference would always be for an actual stalk movement though, rather than the button effect, because whichever side you prefer to press there is a higher incidence of errors with the present system.

Oddly the owner's manual doesn't say how to cancel the indicators, but it's a light press for the same side as currently flashing indicator - a sort of toggle.
1633710140286.png

Until you catch it on the last blink, and you then start indicating the opposite way 🤪
This is what was happening to me. First, the indicator flicks on to the right for no reason, causing consternation to the car behind me on the right rear quarter. I immediately click down to cancel it... but it doesn't cancel, it starts clicking left. I then try to cancel that...but it starts clicking right again....and...repeat...! I'm swearing like a trooper, the cars behind must be wondering who this French idiot is and my passenger is sitting next to me watching and listening and wondering which bit of, 'It's an amazing car..full of incredible technology', this is...

• Funny
Reactions: MrBadger and MrT3
This is what was happening to me. First, the indicator flicks on to the right for no reason, causing consternation to the car behind me on the right rear quarter. I immediately click down to cancel it... but it doesn't cancel, it starts clicking left. I then try to cancel that...but it starts clicking right again....and...repeat...! I'm swearing like a trooper, the cars behind must be wondering who this French idiot is and my passenger is sitting next to me watching and listening and wondering which bit of, 'It's an amazing car..full of incredible technology', this is...
Let's just say, over three months in... I share your pain. (I don't do this as often as I used to, and mine has nothing to do with the Tesla's 'incredible technology', and everything to do with pressing fractionally too hard by mistake, triggering the opposite indication, which triggers another clumsy cancel, which triggers, yes, the swearing, which triggers...)

Yes, I very much wonder what the people behind us think sometimes. (My wife occasionally does this too when she's driving, and she's a much better driver than me, so that makes me feel 1% better.)

Top tip, thank you. I tried it and although it seems counter-intuitive, it does indeed cancel the indicator quickly and easily. 👍

It's terrible. Counter intuitive, and you need to use *just* the right amount of pressure or it won't cancel, or if you go the opposite direction and use a little too much pressure, you indicate the opposite way. Do Tesla ever test anything they implement?