TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Picking up Model S on Sunday 3/30 - recommended restaurants for lunch near Factory?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by OCownerLAL, Mar 25, 2014.

1. OCownerLAL

OCownerLAL Member

I am picking up my Model S P85 on Sunday at the Telsa factory in Fremont. We are flying in from Orange County to San Jose Airport and trying to decide whether to take a taxi to the factory or rent a car. We have a couple hours to kill between arriving in San Jose and our 2 pm appointment at the factory, is there a decent restaurant within walking distance of the Factory for lunch? Open to any suggestions in the area, even if not in walking distance.

2. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

As I remember, the taxi from the airport was something like $50...It would be a bit of a walk to find a decent restaurant for lunch around the factory, from what I remember...

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

There's not much within walking distance, a few hole in the wall type places across the street. A ten minute drive south gets you into Milpitas/North San Jose where there lots of stuff, including a personal favorite (if you like Thai/Malaysian):

Banana Leaf

It's right down 880 from the factory.

4. OCownerLAL

OCownerLAL Member

Thanks - Banada Leaf has been recommended to me by several people, will give it a try!

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Banana Leaf is great but, can be very packed on a Sunday.

Another option is one exit north of the factory off 880 at Auto Mall Pkwy; the Pacific Commons shopping center has some dining options (PF Chang's is good): Pacific Commons | Dining

Congrats btw!

6. OCownerLAL

OCownerLAL Member

Thanks - this restaurant has been recommended to me by several people outside this forum too so we will definitely try it!

7. OCownerLAL

OCownerLAL Member

Thanks! Appreciate the suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

Banana Leaf closed on Sunday....

8. lorih

lorih Member

I used to live about 2 miles from the factory. I'm still in the Bay Area. I know a lot of Asian restaurants in that area (Chinese, Japanese,Indian, Malaysian). I also know an authentic oldtime diner (1960-1970's decor, but not remodel, it's the actual diner!) There's even an two different all vegan asian restaurants nearby. Not as much in the Continental Cuisine, except for the restaurant inside the Crown plaza, but PM me what you are looking for and I can give you suggestions.

If you are willing to drive just 15-20 minutes you can hit the Peninsula which has tons of great restaurants of every kind, and Palo Alto is the home of Tesla headquarters, so you could get a picture in front of the factory and corporate if you'd like.

9. lloyds

lloyds Member

There is a suhi and korean restaurant nearby over the overpass. Both I would not recommend if you are seeking a little bit closer to the authenticity side. The Korean restaurant is really not that good.

10. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Banana Leaf is excellent. I'd reschedule my delivery for Saturday!

11. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

Are you driving back to OC after the factory pickup? If so, how about driving down to San Jose on your way back to the OC and finding something there? you can hit the Gilroy SC afterwards. Heck, you are going to have a full charge (fremont SC is right there to test out your SC capabilities) so why not head into SF? :)

12. ChriZ

ChriZ Member

13. HHHH

HHHH Member

There's another thai restaurant right outside the Tesla factory, if you turn right from the main entrance / exit it's the first light on the right hand side. Perhaps it was called Sala Thai. Anyway, it's about 1/4 mile away from the factory and it was amazing. Saw quite a few Tesla service employees eating there as well.

14. OCownerLAL

OCownerLAL Member

Think we're going to try Sala Thai for lunch before our delivery/factory tour appointment - thanks for the recommendations. I am so excited to pick up the car tomorrow! :biggrin:

15. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

Remember to test out Supercharging since you are at the factory.

congrats and enjoy!!

16. CarlK

CarlK Member

How did your delivery go? I took delivery there yesterday and the place is packed with new cars and new owners.

17. DingDingDao

DingDingDao Member

Where are the pics!?!?!? :tongue:

18. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

Is banana leaf really that good to be raving about? o.o

19. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

For us Americans, probably yes. I had a Singaporean friend recommend it to me (though I am not sure how different Malaysian food is from Sg). I am sure you get much better food where you are :tongue:

20. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

Cool, I'll try it out when I get there.

SG and MY food are mostly the same (formerly the same country). And yes, for less than 1/4 of the price banana leaf is charging.