Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ Those are a good price compared to the rotors and pads that unplugged just released:

Model S Plaid + LR – UP x PFC Large Sweep Brake Rotor and Pad Set (For OEM Caliper) (2021+) - Unplugged Performance
UP using Performance Friction for their rotors and pads is nice. I bought a bunch of Brembo obsolete stock from some IndyCar/Champcar teams when they all converted over the Performance Friction in the 90s. PF has been around at the highest levels for a long time.

unplugged did a write up on tracking the car for those who are interested.
Oh, they have brake ducts. Highly recommend that. I don't see specs of it or pictures, but based on temp difference apparently it works.

unplugged did a write up on tracking the car for those who are interested.
Interesting.

according the Road and Track article Dark Helmet had 19" wheels. Odd 10.9" width on 310 tires.

Reactions: impastu
Interesting.

according the Road and Track article Dark Helmet had 19" wheels. Odd 10.9" width on 310 tires.
I’m guesstimating that it’s a 11” width but they just physically measured it a hair shorter. Be super weird to start going into 1/10” fractions.

I’m guesstimating that it’s a 11” width but they just physically measured it a hair shorter. Be super weird to start going into 1/10” fractions.

Yeah that would be about par for the course with UP. We have 11.5" square on the car now, but Sasha/MPP can tell you all the work that he had to go through to make it fit! The next size up from there would require another invasive source of modifications.

Yeah that would be about par for the course with UP. We have 11.5" square on the car now, but Sasha/MPP can tell you all the work that he had to go through to make it fit! The next size up from there would require another invasive source of modifications.
I don’t think anyone here is willing to shave the spindle arm to fit an 11.5” wheel up front or rip out the air suspension and run motec to overcome the cars errors but kuddos to mpp on the R&D. They’re in the 1% category like UPP but not sure how many coils sets would be sold to the general public or gutting the car like UPP did. Then again gutting it and putting back the pieces isn’t that hard as a lot of model 3 peeps already do so for Tesla corsa.

I don’t think anyone here is willing to shave the spindle arm to fit an 11.5” wheel up front or rip out the air suspension and run motec to overcome the cars errors but kuddos to mpp on the R&D. They’re in the 1% category like UPP but not sure how many coils sets would be sold to the general public or gutting the car like UPP did. Then again gutting it and putting back the pieces isn’t that hard as a lot of model 3 peeps already do so for Tesla corsa.

100% - we'll figure out the edges for sure and then figure out a way to get 80% of it with 20% of the effort! That's the goal anyway...

Reactions: Mash
I haven't received any updates and I am considering cancelling my order.
I’ve been harassing them over email. Apparently, Covid happened and the world is slow! Hoping for end Feb if not March, but that is based on a “6 weeks more response from management” response I got!

I like the no bolts appearance on these that’s why I’m trying to stick to it

Strange how Covid affects them more severely than say RB or MPP

Strange how Covid affects them more severely than say RB or MPP
We have just fought super hard to stay ahead of delays. It has been a constant headache and way more of our time is spent chasing suppliers than we'd like, but it does pay off! Our 400mm BBK has been in stock for a while now, the 380mm front kit is at the warehouse waiting to be checked in, and the 2-pc rear rotors are just finishing up zinc plating now :D

We also launched our MC brace, our front upper control arms/airdrop kit and there are a few more products that we were photo-shooting this week that will be announced soon! We don't like to announce and take sales on parts until they are around the middle to end of production to avoid disappointing our very enthusiastic customers.

Well turns out Tesla's EPC site does show 305/30-20 rear tires, presumably for their track package:

View attachment 697802
Almost 2 years later, Tesla finally is about to release their track wheels and tires with the specs above:

Interestingly, going through the app only shows them as available with the $20k “package” that includes carbon ceramic brakes (which are now “only” $15k by themselves, used to be $20k).

Reactions: Dave EV
How do you get the software upgrade if you have already installed aftermarket CCB brakes and new rims?
Most likely you don't/can't.

This video says that they use sensors to detect the correct wheels/brakes:

I know some tires now have BT devices embedded in them, so they might use those to detect tires. I'm not sure how they would detect the CCP brakes. (That may just be a setting Tesla makes to the car when they install them.)

It will be interesting to get more details on this.

This video specifically says it detects the carbon ceramic brakes and adjusts things automatically:

So maybe it isn't even an option Tesla can set for third-party brake upgrades. Maybe they embedded BT devices in the calipers and/or rotors as well?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Dave EV
I k
Most likely you don't/can't.

This video says that they use sensors to detect the correct wheels/brakes:

I know some tires now have BT devices embedded in them, so they might use those to detect tires. I'm not sure how they would detect the CCP brakes. (That may just be a setting Tesla makes to the car when they install them.)

It will be interesting to get more details on this.

This video specifically says it detects the carbon ceramic brakes and adjusts things automatically:

So maybe it isn't even an option Tesla can set for third-party brake upgrades. Maybe they embedded BT devices in the calipers and/or rotors as well?
I know that the video says there is some 'detection' of brakes and tires, but that sounded suspicious/unlikely to me. No-one anywhere has done anything like this - but it is plausible using BT sensors etc - but knowing how they are configured/used on the cars makes this unlikely.
I put the question to a couple of the Tesla service and engineering staff and they said they didn't know about anything fancy like was suggested in the video. They believe it's just a simple config change on the back end - specifying the car has purchased the option for the CCBs and wheels/tires. We'll know fairly soon either way.

Thinking about the Unplugged replacement CCM front rotors and pads using the stock calipers. I'm looking for weight reduction and a slight/reasonable improvement in one/two stop street panic braking and not looking to otherwise use the brakes or track the car. Has anyone else taken this path? (it's $5K versus $15K with Tesla but T's are front/rear with calipers)