Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about the Unplugged replacement CCM front rotors and pads using the stock calipers. I'm looking for weight reduction and a slight/reasonable improvement in one/two stop street panic braking and not looking to otherwise use the brakes or track the car. Has anyone else taken this path? (it's $5K versus $15K with Tesla but T's are front/rear with calipers)
The stock setup has no issue in one/two stop panic braking from any reasonable speed, just an fyi.

Thinking about the Unplugged replacement CCM front rotors and pads using the stock calipers. I'm looking for weight reduction and a slight/reasonable improvement in one/two stop street panic braking and not looking to otherwise use the brakes or track the car. Has anyone else taken this path? (it's $5K versus $15K with Tesla but T's are front/rear with calipers)
The rear contributes a lot to braking in panic / hard stopping because the car’s wheelbase is quite long and the weight transfer to the front isn’t overwhelming like smaller cars. You might be looking at $10k on the UP CCM kit.

However, UP’s (or MPP’s) iron rotor kits are quite impressive in performance for what you’re talking about, and under $3500 total.

Actually, if you just want better braking with what the car came with, bleed the brakes and put on aggressive pads - GLOC R10/12 and there should be instant improvement.

Went the Tesla route hoping the replacement calipers are not noticeably heavier than the stock. By the time you get the OE replacement disks/pads from Unplugged, you are most of the way to Tesla's full kit. With Tesla you get the software update, calipers and resale associated with OE product configured correctly on the car. Installation is included which removes warranty concerns.

We will see how it goes. Very interested to see how the tire patch responds.

I'm trying to do the opposite - get T to sell us a set of the calipers so we can put some iron rotors on there for 1/5 of the cost. So far no luck.

We did confirm there's nothing special about the tires etc. The car gateway config is updated once the track pack us purchased installed and that unlocks the 200MPH for the car - it doesn't know/care what tires/rims are on the car. My understanding is you only need to buy the brakes. I'm lobbying to get ours turned on since we already have upgraded brakes beyond the track pack but no luck no that so far either!

I'm trying to do the opposite - get T to sell us a set of the calipers so we can put some iron rotors on there for 1/5 of the cost. So far no luck.

We did confirm there's nothing special about the tires etc. The car gateway config is updated once the track pack us purchased installed and that unlocks the 200MPH for the car - it doesn't know/care what tires/rims are on the car. My understanding is you only need to buy the brakes. I'm lobbying to get ours turned on since we already have upgraded brakes beyond the track pack but no luck no that so far either!
I can confirm that once you buy the Tesla track pack brakes, even without the tires, they raise the speed limit to 200 mph. One of the reasons I went with the Tesla brakes is because of warranty, support (HW and SW) and resale. Definitely worth it for me.

Reactions: impastu
Went the Tesla route hoping the replacement calipers are not noticeably heavier than the stock. By the time you get the OE replacement disks/pads from Unplugged, you are most of the way to Tesla's full kit. With Tesla you get the software update, calipers and resale associated with OE product configured correctly on the car. Installation is included which removes warranty concerns.

We will see how it goes. Very interested to see how the tire patch responds.
Any updates? Debating t track pack vs UP BBK

Good and bad.
Reductions in unsprung weight and rotational inertia were good but not super good. Regretfully, they reset my ride height when I specifically instructed them not to (because I had lowering links) so my ride height it back to stock. The gains from lowering are gone so I do not have a back to back reference from which to form an opinion.

The left rear damper cabling failed on the first hard right corner. The car is back in service to have this addressed. I reset my lowering links to stock length before I took it in for the cabling issue and asked that they, once again, re-calibrate the ride height so I can once again lower the car. Once I am back to my lowered baseline, I'll have a better feel for the changes but I've lost the direct back to back single item brake change modification.

Good and bad.
Reductions in unsprung weight and rotational inertia were good but not super good. Regretfully, they reset my ride height when I specifically instructed them not to (because I had lowering links) so my ride height it back to stock. The gains from lowering are gone so I do not have a back to back reference from which to form an opinion.

The left rear damper cabling failed on the first hard right corner. The car is back in service to have this addressed. I reset my lowering links to stock length before I took it in for the cabling issue and asked that they, once again, re-calibrate the ride height so I can once again lower the car. Once I am back to my lowered baseline, I'll have a better feel for the changes but I've lost the direct back to back single item brake change modification.
Other than the 200mph, do the non track pack cars (like mine because of all the MPP stuff) get the same suspension and vectoring settings?

I love my repeated “suck my face into my windshield” braking with my aftermarket brake rotor and pads. Also the extremely tight handling with all the spherically sealed bearings on my suspension links and am wondering if the regular (non track pack) compression / rebound and torque vectoring is what I have on the latest softwares

My question was one of aftermarket or not.... I was just curious of the options out there.
Ah! I have all the MPP suspension links.

For the front, the upper control arm and push in bearings for the lower two arms

For the rear, I have the toe arm and both the lower arms. The oem upper arm I did not replace because it already has a spherical sealed bearing

Reactions: lolachampcar
Ah! I have all the MPP suspension links.

For the front, the upper control arm and push in bearings for the lower two arms

For the rear, I have the toe arm and both the lower arms. The oem upper arm I did not replace because it already has a spherical sealed bearing

Also have the front end arm bearings, those made an astronomical handling improvement when entering a turn.

I think Unplugged has released their entire arm set up now as well, but the OEM arms are pretty good, it just really needs those crappy OEM bushings replaced.

I just had these added to the rear knuckles. Will test out over the next few days.

I also have the full suite of MPP front and rear arms and lower bearings. The lower bearings are pretty much a must have for this car if you want to get rid of that mushy feeling in the steering.

Reactions: impastu and Sam1
Other than the 200mph, do the non track pack cars (like mine because of all the MPP stuff) get the same suspension and vectoring settings?

I love my repeated “suck my face into my windshield” braking with my aftermarket brake rotor and pads. Also the extremely tight handling with all the spherically sealed bearings on my suspension links and am wondering if the regular (non track pack) compression / rebound and torque vectoring is what I have on the latest softwares
Correct - per the T engineers we know there's no difference in software other than the 200mph unlock and the re-calibrated ABS due to the differences in geometry and Mu on the CCBs.

That said, we have not had any issues with the stock calipers. They are stout when you get the MPP rotors (oversized for us in the front) and pair them with a good pad. Ran a 1:29.9 at Laguna this weekend on a rolling lap using the Supercar 3R's in the larger size all around. Power is gone before the brakes are and anything less than full power laps there's no issues.

Reactions: Sam1
Correct - per the T engineers we know there's no difference in software other than the 200mph unlock and the re-calibrated ABS due to the differences in geometry and Mu on the CCBs.

That said, we have not had any issues with the stock calipers. They are stout when you get the MPP rotors (oversized for us in the front) and pair them with a good pad. Ran a 1:29.9 at Laguna this weekend on a rolling lap using the Supercar 3R's in the larger size all around. Power is gone before the brakes are and anything less than full power laps there's no issues.
It's crazy the difference in pad upgrades alone from the cars with the first versions of the pads. Not sure how the second versions of the pads are.