Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to only use 110 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I so agree. I thought it was so hilariously funny when I heard a fellow on YouTube talking about working on a breaker panel and interposing 240 volts and 110 volts back and forth and did not even catch his error. Must be that "New Math" I've hear is being taught in schools now. I see it here and formats as well, from what I observe some folks are still living in the 1920's with their 110 volts. For myself I like all the trons I can get my wires on. Do people not even take the time to even check the line voltage before they spout it as gospel. I operated in the Caribbean for several years with work and made side trips to Honduras and they still use 110 volts at 50 mhz.

Unrelated and off topic - For a minute your screen name reminded me of Miss Dagmar, a "healthy" Hollywood actress years ago but my work connection came from a nickname we had for a part on the jet engine we worked on and aircraft we flew in. By the way, the term is derived from the notable physical attributes of Dagmar, a buxom early 1950s television personality known for low-cut gowns and conical bra cups. Sorry, just wandering. Carry on.

I will be honest that I didnt read the entire thread, sorry if this has been asked.

What is the prevailing opinion regarding putting in a 240v outlet at home if I have free level 2 charging at work?

You are going to get answers that are all over the place for that. It's all based on personal preference, need, cost to install...etc.

My opinion would be it wouldn't hurt to have 240V available at home just so you can do a trip charge if needed easily. Also, what happens if the work charger goes out of service for whatever reason?

It's all relative to your personal scenario.

Then you are probably fine without a 240v home solution. If a supercharger is close enough then if you want to spontaneously go for a long trip you would be able to hit the supercharger at the start if needed.

I would probably look at getting a quote for a 240V solution at your house though. At least then you know what it will cost and if it isn't much you might want to just go ahead and do it.

Reactions: sgreenstonenj
High voltage drop, or baring that, incorrect information...but even a broken clock is correct twice a day, so...

you guys know I was kidding … right? lol

Mostly anyways... I see 104-117 most of the time. UPS displays/recording and TeslaFi data.

High voltage drop, or baring that, incorrect information...but even a broken clock is correct twice a day, so...

you guys know I was kidding … right? lol

Mostly anyways... I see 104-117 most of the time. UPS displays/recording and TeslaFi data.
Seriously, though, if you’re seeing voltage drops to 104V or 106V when you plug the car in there is a problem with your circuit that needs to be addressed. The wiring, the outlet, there’s another load plugged in, or something.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and derotam
I will be honest that I didnt read the entire thread, sorry if this has been asked.

What is the prevailing opinion regarding putting in a 240v outlet at home if I have free level 2 charging at work?
My take is that vacations and weekends happen as does crowding at work plugs. Best to be able to count on charging at home.

I also feel that there may be people for whom the at work charging is a necessity, not just a freebie, and a car with a big battery should give way to them, but that may not apply to your situation.

P.S. Of course I'm also a weirdo who thinks that the PHEVs should get some priority as every time they plug in, a bunch of gas is saved.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
My car only came with a 5-15 connector. I could easily get by with that with my commute and the option of taking my wife's ICE car in a pinch but I'm planning on getting a Tesla Wall Charger anyway. Does the distance where you have it installed from your power box affect your installation cost?

Not sure if it’s mentioned in this thread, but 120v charging is only ~70% efficient due to fixed overhead while charging. You’ll end up spending more for electricity charging at 120v as opposed to 240v which is 90%+ efficient.

Ya, was mentioned and I dropped some math on it in post #37:

My home L1 charging is 29-35Wh/km less efficient than my available work L2 charging. About 46-56Wh/mi.

At $0.10/kWh that would cost $460-560 after 100,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
Ya, was mentioned and I dropped some math on it in post #37:

My home L1 charging is 29-35Wh/km less efficient than my available work L2 charging. About 46-56Wh/mi.

At $0.10/kWh that would cost $460-560 after 100,000 miles.

That is a very good point. And in my case with $0.12/kWh I guess I could bump those numbers by 20% to $552-$672. My main reason for wanting a higher rated charger is that in the winter time I will be running the climate control in the morning and I've noticed that with a L1 charger that drops the charging rate substantially. It is obviously would have less of an impact % wise with a level 2.

My only real concern is what is going to happen at the end of the day in the winter with my car having been sitting in an open parking ramp for 8 hours on a brutal Minnesota winter day. I'm guessing I'll want to wake it up an hour before I leave and that will suck up a lot of juice. So that's where I feel like the L2 charger will really earn its keep.

I'll be getting it installed in the next couple of months. I need to make my garage 'Tesla worthy' first, lol.

That is a very good point. And in my case with $0.12/kWh I guess I could bump those numbers by 20% to $552-$672. My main reason for wanting a higher rated charger is that in the winter time I will be running the climate control in the morning and I've noticed that with a L1 charger that drops the charging rate substantially. It is obviously would have less of an impact % wise with a level 2.

My only real concern is what is going to happen at the end of the day in the winter with my car having been sitting in an open parking ramp for 8 hours on a brutal Minnesota winter day. I'm guessing I'll want to wake it up an hour before I leave and that will suck up a lot of juice. So that's where I feel like the L2 charger will really earn its keep.

I'll be getting it installed in the next couple of months. I need to make my garage 'Tesla worthy' first, lol.
I agree, you'll be much happier with the ability to charge at 240V in your garage especially as you live in a cold climate, whether it's with an outlet and using the UMC and proper adapter or with the hardwired Wall Connector. You'll never have to think about how much charge you have, you will just wake up with a full charge every morning. Note what you're taking about having installed is called the Wall Connector, not charger. The charger is in the car.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
For a LR RWD, what's the difference in charging speed between a basic 240 outlet and the Tesla wall connector?
Right now I'm on a 120 which is fine, but I'd certainly like better speeds when necessary.

For a LR RWD, what's the difference in charging speed between a basic 240 outlet and the Tesla wall connector?
Right now I'm on a 120 which is fine, but I'd certainly like better speeds when necessary.

For the LR Model 3, which has the built-in 48 amp charger (vice the 32 amp charger on the smaller-batteried SR and SR+ Model 3s), you can utilize the full 48 amps supplied by the wall connector (on a 60 amp breaker or bigger), for about 44 MRPH (miles range per hour of charge).

With the biggest possible wall outlet, the 14-50 or 6-50 (both 50 amp breakers and supplying 40 amps max continuous), you can still only utilize 32 amps with the Gen 2 mobile connector, as that is as much as it will deliver, regardless of the power it is plugged into, for about 30 MRPH.

So, the wall connector is ~50% faster than the mobile connector, in a LR, 44 v. 30 MPH. Both will get a LR M3 from totally empty to totally full overnight: 7ish hours for the wall connector and 11ish hours for the portable.

Last edited:

Well, the UMC has a max of 32A (~33 MPH) so even though you have a 14-50, you aren't going to charge at 80% of 50 Amps (40A). With the Tesla Wall Connector you could charge to 48 Amps on 60 Amp+ connection, which is 44 MPH.

The benefits also include the fact that you can keep your UMC in the car all the time, and the Wall Connector has extra safety features vs. just a 14-50 outlet (Tesla WC allows you to lower the amps if needed).

Last edited: