Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please tell me 8.0 have a better Browser!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The browser, the Nav, and the Trip planner all have problems. It doesn't look like Tesla is fixing any of them in this release.

While they didnt modify, as in, update to an optimized or newer version browser, I can say that the browser is a LITTLE faster to load and a LITTLE more responsive to scrolling. The look is more inline with the new UI but seems to be the same browser technically. Its just obvious that the browser is the lowest feature in the pecking order so its expected.

Trip Planner and Nav have been updated and are better. I think the problem is that 80% of the Nav is Tesla with 20% google, when they should make it 50/50 or 70/30 in favor of google, so that when google releases new map features like traffic based guidance and waypoints Tesla can just accept those updates and incorporate them into their cars, and thus allowing the nav to always be on par with Google Maps/Navigation.

Reactions: newtman
On the other hand ... why take your iPad with you if there's one built into the car? :p

Because the thing built into the car is not an iPad! :)

Because my iPad3 browser sucks almost as bad.

Nah the iPad3 is way more usable (I'm typing on one...no way would I try to write a forum posting on the in-car browser). Also Safari on the iPad is way more mainstream in terms of capabilities.

Bruce.

Reactions: int32_t
"Form over function"

Like with previous releases, the new software looks nice on the display - but, except for AP, the emphasis seemed to be more on making the existing functionality look better on the display, than making the major changes really needed to improve the capabilities of the core apps.

The media player still lacks playlists - and while the new user interface may look better, it appears they've taken a giant leap backward in usability by eliminating the first letter "quick scroll" - which is needed even more, because without playlists, I end up putting all of my favorite music in a single giant folder on my USB.

The trip planner improvements are nice - but it's still built on top of the "Frankenstein's monster" combination of navigon software/maps, Tesla software, and google maps. We're still lacking basic features like waypoints, route customizations, multiple routing options, ... When I purchased my previous Lexus over 10 years ago, except for the beautiful Google satellite maps on the huge 17" touchscreen, that old Lexus navigation system had more functionality (it even popped up messages warning me about upcoming traffic issues using real-time traffic data sent over XM radio).

When I get 8.0 (which could take several months, if the distribution is similar to past releases), I'll appreciate the improvements.

But Tesla could do so much more - and even though we have a Model 3 reservation, it will be tempting to at least take a close look at the Bolt and see how that software compares to my Model S. It may be very tempting to consider switching to a Bolt - if it has more functionality (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, better navigation functionality, ...).

"Form over function"

Like with previous releases, the new software looks nice on the display - but, except for AP, the emphasis seemed to be more on making the existing functionality look better on the display, than making the major changes really needed to improve the capabilities of the core apps.

The media player still lacks playlists - and while the new user interface may look better, it appears they've taken a giant leap backward in usability by eliminating the first letter "quick scroll" - which is needed even more, because without playlists, I end up putting all of my favorite music in a single giant folder on my USB.

The trip planner improvements are nice - but it's still built on top of the "Frankenstein's monster" combination of navigon software/maps, Tesla software, and google maps. We're still lacking basic features like waypoints, route customizations, multiple routing options, ... When I purchased my previous Lexus over 10 years ago, except for the beautiful Google satellite maps on the huge 17" touchscreen, that old Lexus navigation system had more functionality (it even popped up messages warning me about upcoming traffic issues using real-time traffic data sent over XM radio).

When I get 8.0 (which could take several months, if the distribution is similar to past releases), I'll appreciate the improvements.

But Tesla could do so much more - and even though we have a Model 3 reservation, it will be tempting to at least take a close look at the Bolt and see how that software compares to my Model S. It may be very tempting to consider switching to a Bolt - if it has more functionality (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, better navigation functionality, ...).

By the time the 3 is out there will be even more options.