Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The final bill will be written by Joe Manchin and then it will be sent back to the House as a take it or leave it vote. The timing is still TBD but Schumer's goal of having it done by Christmas seems optimistic.

I would be shocked if Manchin became a one man show and just said flat out "No" even after concessions and such. But it's Washington so you never know...

The final bill will be written by Joe Manchin and then it will be sent back to the House as a take it or leave it vote. The timing is still TBD but Schumer's goal of having it done by Christmas seems optimistic.

I would be shocked if Manchin became a one man show and just said flat out "No" even after concessions and such. But it's Washington so you never know...
My prediction is Paid Family Leave will be out, SALT will be changed, and union provision on EV credits out or changed. Maybe a few more things to get the CBO score more into the "paid-for" category... rabble, rabble, rabble..., and then a vote before Christmas.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My prediction is Paid Family Leave will be out, SALT will be changed, and union provision on EV credits out or changed. Maybe a few more things to get the CBO score more into the "paid-for" category... rabble, rabble, rabble..., and then a vote before Christmas.
Agreed on all counts but unsure whether they will get it done by Christmas...Manchin doesn't like the haste. The question is then whether the House will then vote yes for it again as it is a take it or leave it vote, no other changes can be made.

The liberals won't be too happy but you would think they know it's coming already... getting something should be better than getting nothing, no?

Agreed on all counts but unsure whether they will get it done by Christmas...Manchin doesn't like the haste. The question is then whether the House will then vote yes for it again as it is a take it or leave it vote, no other changes can be made.

The liberals won't be too happy but you would think they know it's coming already... getting something should be better than getting nothing, no?
The liberals, the right wing blah blah blah. It should be about what's best for us all. Both sides want what's good for their pockets first then the people.

The liberals, the right wing blah blah blah. It should be about what's best for us all. Both sides want what's good for their pockets first then the people.
I didn't opine on any political ideology, merely stated the liberals won't be too happy with the cuts which is a factual statement and will most definitely impact the final vote in the House if/when it comes back from the Senate.

Yes ai pulled the bill and scoured it too, and this passage was the only reference I saw to timing. It would be faintly odd if bill passed on say, Feb. 2 and therefore applied retroactively. for just one month of sales... rather than all of 2021 like many on this forum have been hoping for. but also would be pretty much par for the course for government. Just hoping some of it survives senate. clearly the extra money for union built is DOA with Manchin. But he has (non-union) Toyota and there may be some hope because of that of some form of credits. Worst case, hoping they’ll at least lift the cap for manufacturers on the number of cars sold so Tesla can fall under the old version of the credits again, at least. That cap makes only some sense as an encouragement to purchase of EV’s. Seems more like seed money to help fledgling car makers get on feet, which isn’t the main problem now.
I don't know about Manchin's Toyota, but he was recently "visited" by a group of activists while in his Maserati. Nice that he makes enough to afford one, but maybe that's a striped down compact model (do they make an EV?). :)

FDWzTShVQAwmw_e

• Disagree
I don’t expect that everyone listened to all of Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s almost 9-hour rant to stall the House vote the other night. But you’d think this dude would lose some credibility with statements like this about test driving a Tesla. Give him a listen for about 30 seconds from 2:18:26 until 2:18:55.

He said, “I can’t even afford to ‘test-drive’ a Tesla, and Elon [Musk] is one of my best friends.” I don’t know how much he thinks it costs to test-drive a Tesla, but it cost my fam…um, well, FREE 😂

• Disagree
I don’t expect that everyone listened to all of Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s almost 9-hour rant to stall the House vote the other night. But you’d think this dude would lose some credibility with statements like this about test driving a Tesla. Give him a listen for about 30 seconds from 2:18:26 until 2:18:55.

He said, “I can’t even afford to ‘test-drive’ a Tesla, and Elon [Musk] is one of my best friends.” I don’t know how much he thinks it costs to test-drive a Tesla, but it cost my fam…um, well, FREE 😂
Really? A Model S test drive is free?

Please show me where.

Spoiler: you cannot test drive one as there aren’t any available.

Status
Not open for further replies.