Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Age vs. Patience for Model 3

Age of Model 3 Buyers

• 18-34 (Millennials)

• 35-50 (Generation X)

• 51-69 (Baby Boomers)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Emotions are all over the chart about the production and delivery of the Model 3. Lots of disappointed people speaking out, some who are truly Model 3 enthusiasts and others who just want to kick Tesla.

So I was wondering if there is any correlation between someone's age (generation) and how they feel about Model 3 delays.

Feel free to comment on your age and your feelings on how Tesla is handling the delays with the Model 3.

I'm a baby boomer and I would have liked my car a year ago. That being said, I have more yesterdays than tomorrows, but I am not frazzled about having to wait a month or two longer.

Reactions: WVhybrid
Do you remember the Harley ad a few years ago with two old men sitting in rocking chairs on a porch? They hear the familiar Harley rumble approaching and one says to the other, “Sure wish I’d gotten one of those Harley Davidsons!”

Substitute Tesla for Harley and it explains why I as a Baby Boomer am ignoring all of the warning signs of being an early adopter of a product made by a company with a questionable future. I love my S and could care less that the 3 is delayed as long as it gets here before the rocking chair is needed.

Always disappointing when something you want is not available, but I always tell myself that this is a "want", not a "need". If I really needed a car now, there are plenty of other options. But I *want* this car because it's simply desirable to me. So I will wait until the time is right for me and Tesla.

I guess I classify as an "X" in that poll.

Reactions: lirandy
I'm 35 & wife is 28. While the wait for our M3s is tedious that is more due to wanting to get out of our old vehicles. Neither of them have enough reliability in our minds to take any long road trips. We've waited 19 months now since our reservations and expected delays in production pushing delivery back based on EVERY Tesla release in the past. What's more concerning now is the possible elimination of the EV Credit pushing our total cost up $15,000.

Reactions: pkalhan and PRSIST
I'm 35, so I guess I'm at "Xennial"

The wait has been long, not unbearable. But the delays already had me concerned about getting the tax credit, and the news about the credit being repealed (IF tax bill passes, big IF imo) has me a little anxious today...

Really want this car and feel a bit like a kid waiting for Christmas these last few months (my Standard Battery model was slated for Feb-Apr 2018), but if the tax credit is out of the picture I'm afraid I'm out.

Reactions: C141medic
I think everyone's situation is different. I'm replacing an old civic but I have other means if my civic died before the model 3 came. Once these start rolling off the floor in volume, everyone's gonna forget about this little bump. Remember originally the model 3 was going to be the end of this year, and he pushed it up 6 months.

However, if there is another delay by 1-3 months, then you will start to see more people getting upset. But what am I gonna do? Go buy a bolt? Doubtful

33 & wife is 30 - We are the very beginning years of "millennial" so not annoying or clueless...

I didn't expect to get the car until 2019 when I reserved on 3/31. We purposely bought the XV Hybrid CPO in order to be prepared to sell an AWD-Hybrid car that holds its value, as soon as our M3 was delivered.

While we are excited for the M3, we can wait for Dual Motor Q4 2018 (per latest update).

To Electracity - I assume your comment on those over 69 not knowing how to get on line was a comment on the structure of the pole which did not provide for age over 69. Yes my thought about the structure of the poll precisely.

At 78 - will be 79 in January - it is a race between not only will I get a model 3 in time to collect the $7,500 rebate, but will the the Model 3 arrive before I die? I may decide to give up waiting for AWD and go with the first production long range. Yes - age is a factor.

I replaced the traction battery on our old 2002 Prius late last year exactly because I expected serious M3 delays. A few months extra wait won't mean anything to me (early 60's here). Being required to always carry a phone is a more serious problem. Hope both issues get fixed between now and whenever.
Only risk: another manufacturer coming out with a long (enough) range EV that doesn't look like a punishment car. Supercharging is not critical for us. That could happen.
Robin

Gen X here. Reserved my 3 on the first night, fully expecting delays to come based on the S and X. 3 will be replacing a 14 year old Accord that runs fine with minor repairs needed. I'm expecting to get the 3 in 2019 at this point but have no intention of cancelling my reservation.

Eh, I'm in the first group and acknowledge that Tesla is working on a significantly accelerated timeline vs. their originally announced productions plans (500k in 2020 vs 2018) and that Tesla's optimism regularly causes them to blow past their own targets. So, delays are expected and not really a concern provided that they're reasonable delays. That said, the federal tax credit phase-out is looming (assuming the GOP doesn't kill it first) and that's probably my only real point of timing related concern.

On the other hand... since my wife and I don't plan on getting rid of our Model S, the Model 3 will serve as a second car (replacing a car that doesn't actually need replacing).

Good thing those over 69 don't know how to get online.
We boomers (and earlier) invented the Internet. I started using the Internet in the 1980's and haven't forgotten yet... :) Boomer category should be changed to 51 and over - I voted anyway although I am a 1946 Boomer.

I am very patient; I don't expect the production delay or loss of tax credit to affect my purchase.

Reactions: PRSIST and Nevek