Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: current safety score

What is your current safety score?

• 100 - 95

Votes: 253 82.1%
  • 94 - 90

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • 89 - 80

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • 79 - 50

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 50 or less

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have no evidence that will happen, just more random Elon tweets.
Look at the current FSD beta testers that post on YouTube. Are they driving safe? Many of them have hands off the wheel for a long time, and they get to keep it. Does anyone actually know anyone who was removed?

I am getting a kick out of all of this though. Those of you that paid for FSD are now trying to drive differently than you normally would, in order to satisfy a blind algorithm, in order to get access to software you PAID for years ago, that was supposed to drive the car for you, and you're worried that once you have it, if you drive badly in a car that is FULL SELF DRIVING that you'll loose access to the FULL SELF DRIVING you paid for, wherein it shouldn't be possible to drive badly since you will be using FULL SELF DRIVING all the time you drive and Tesla doesn't evaluate safety when you're using FULL SELF DRIVING.

NO REFUNDS.

It's crazy.

And the people now putting there "safety score" in their signatures. OMG. You have fallen for Elon's game so hard.
Let us have our fun, Nancy.

Reactions: Microterf
Try letting regen go to max while coasting downhill and get back to me. I was hit with hard braking once in my 100 miles of driving since getting the update, and it was on the first day when I did my standard “let the car get up to speed going downhill, and then let off the go pedal and let it regen coast to a stop at the light at the bottom of the hill”, and got a 95 for that drive. Never once hit the brake pedal on my drive that day while doing errands. Ended up at a 97 for the day after driving home. Have since gone down the hill much slower and Haven’t been dinged since and am currently sitting at a 99. 100% doing pure regen Will ding you for hard braking, at least if you add gravity into the mix.
Same here ... Regen on a step hill has taken my four day score down to 99.

I’m still waiting for the Safety Score to appear on my app. I clicked the button Saturday afternoon and I’m “in the queue” App upto date, restarted a few times, drove 300+ miles yesterday and over 90 today. Am I missing something?
There are numerous threads on this. To recap the things that spring immediately to mind (no doubt I'm forgetting something):
  • Ensure that your app is up-to-date. It must be version 4.1.0 or later; but most Android users right now have an earlier version as the "current" one from the Google Play store. There are delays getting the app to Android phone (apparently because of the way Google's Play Store works, but I'm not sure of the details). If you've got an Android phone, you can sideload it using this APK file and the APKMirror Installer app (or presumably other methods of sideloading). Personally, I recommend doing this only on a secondary phone whose security is less important than your main phone's.
  • You may need to clear the Tesla app's data. I'm not sure how to do this in iOS, but in Android, try Settings->Apps & Notifications->See All {x} Apps->Tesla->Storage & Cache. There are buttons to Clear Cache and Clear Storage. Try clearing the cache first, then the storage if that doesn't work. I haven't tested it, but I assume that clearing the storage will require you to log in again, and conceivably even set up your phone as a key again.
  • You must be logged in as the car's primary driver; a secondary account does not provide access to the safety score.

I wonder why Tesla doesn't consider speeding 65 in a 45 as unsafe?
Because it's not, at least not in an absolute sense.

Some roads are marked with historical speed limits that haven't changed in decades despite many advances in the vehicles themselves.

Where speed limits matter (w/r/t safety, not financial or criminal aspects) is when the road surface or other vehicles come into play. The 5 categories (FCW, HB, AT, UF, FAD) listed on the Safety Score pages are "available telemetry" that apparently (a) Tesla feels map well to the problem space and/or (b) other agencies (insurance, gov't) believe them to be so. (Messy grammar but I'm sleepy.)

Be careful what you measure because it will drive the Wrong behavior!

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk replied…

How to maintain a Good Safety Score: Satirical

Do not hit your brake or swerve otherwise you’ll be tossed out for hard braking and aggressive turns. Don’t brake for a Jay Walkers, car cutting you off, animal running out, etc just hit them, it won’t affect your score. If an unfamiliar light changes quickly on you run it, else hard braking, disqualified from accessing beta. Maintain a ~1/4mi following distance on highway. Put a placard on the back of your car stating “Go Around – I’m protecting and improving my Safety Score” Find back rural country roads and drive below speed limit for hours on end each day. Don’t use AP/NOA even though that is the system you’ll be testing. Hmmm. I’m sure you can all come up with others.

Again – “Be Careful What You Measure Because It Will Drive the Wrong Behavior” Wait just drive safely. Ok but again, someone cuts you off, steps out from behind a van, animal runs out, garbage can or ball blows into the road, bicyclist cuts out etc and you hit the brakes and/or swerve your score immediately drops. So back out you go to driving rural roads below speed limit to get your score back up. You are getting false positives as others have stated. Gaming the system.

Why not look at the accident free total miles car driven in AP/NOA over the past several years. Isn’t that what is going to be tested anyway? Tesla is the Data accumulator and massive storage warehouse of all this data, why aren’t they using it? They have all the data already on every vehicle. We know because they pull the logs on vehicles involved in crashes and turn all the data over to the investigators.

Let’s do conspiracy… Maybe the The Safety Score is a trial run for their Insurance offering software program we all get to be the testers for, advertise it as the FSD Beta gatekeeper???? Another one; Elon got into some good weed and wanted a good laugh, watch what I can make all these people do….

Anyhow – having fun with the Safety Score. Very bizarre. Can you see yourself sitting down with the grand children one day; tell us again the story about what that man made all the folks do so they could access a capability they paid for years ago, that’s so funny, why did they do it again? Did he make them wear funny hats too? You have to admit this is bizarre if you are in the queue and doing it.

Ok enough fun for today back out to log more miles, have a Safety Day!!!
I liked the sarcasm it made a good point. I agree with all of your points but would add one more, that being including in the decision making process in addition to the safety scores the length of time an individual has been driving a Tesla should be added. There is no argument that experience and understanding with the operation of a new machine is important. Its a new way of driving that requires an interface between man and machine and that requires experience on the part of the human.

Reactions: jebinc
Post your safety score or gtfo
Don't have FSD, and the "safety first" Tesla only cares about the safety of those that paid them extra money. Maybe because this isn't actually a "safety" score, just like "Full Self Driving" doesn't fully self drive.

My score would be trash though since I actually track my car. Ironically, it wouldn't be trash because of speed though.

The point is that Tesla already uses data that is far from "absolutely dangerous" and require context to understand. Braking and Turning hard can be appropriate responses to external factors, and can be the safest solution. People have found braking is triggered by going down a hill or yellow lights. The absence of speed and acceleration as a factor in "safety" is suspicious when they are already willing to measure braking or turning.

Last edited:
I drove 75 miles mostly on rural highways, with extreme caution, almost always on Autopilot. It slammed me for hard braking. There was no bleeping hard braking -- the only hard braking was Autopilot changing speed when the speed limit changed. My score was 76.

When I drive in city traffic, bumper to bumper, on crowded interstate highways and normal stuff, I get 96 and 97. I am not a happy camper. That first score should have been 100.

I drove 75 miles mostly on rural highways, with extreme caution, almost always on Autopilot. It slammed me for hard braking. There was no bleeping hard braking -- the only hard braking was Autopilot changing speed when the speed limit changed. My score was 76.

When I drive in city traffic, bumper to bumper, on crowded interstate highways and normal stuff, I get 96 and 97. I am not a happy camper. That first score should have been 100.

You said ALMOST always on Autopilot, means you are coming out of AP and touching on the brakes to slow down. Try NOT touching the brake pedal for an entire drive. Like 0 taps of the brake pedal. I suspect you've made it harder for yourself by switching to low regen. Which means you have to use the brake pedal all day.

Any time i touch the brakes if it's hard or soft, it nails me. If I don't touch the brake pedal AT ALL, i get a perfect braking score.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
If I don't touch the brakes AT ALL, i get a perfect braking score.
Yes, this has been my experience too. Really can't use the brakes. Mine are probably rusting at this point.

almost always on Autopilot
This is also a problem. If you want a good score you can't be on Autopilot most of the time, or at least you are opening yourself up to enormous risk of a low score. There's no problem with AP keeping your score clean - it does - but you also can't use it all the time due to the way the scoring works.

If you want a good score you can't be on Autopilot most of the time, or at least you are opening yourself up to enormous risk of a low score. There's no problem with AP keeping your score clean - it does - but you also can't use it all the time due to the way the scoring works.

Not sure if I'm following you, but i think i agree...basically if you're on Autopilot, you're good. Close following, braking, etc... will not affect your score. As soon as you tap the brake to come out of autopilot, it can get you if you were too close to the car in front while in autopilot. Or if there's traffic ahead, you get scared, you tap the brake to bring the car to a halt, or you use the brake to come down an off-ramp.

It's kind of annoying, but anytime I need to get out of autopilot on the freeway, i reduce my speed to grow the gap in front of me OR switch to an empty lane, then use the stalk to disengage, then use regen to slow down. No Brake Pedal! Haha, i'm basically allergic to the brake pedal

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life