Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: current safety score

What is your current safety score?

• 100 - 95

Votes: 253 82.1%
  • 94 - 90

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • 89 - 80

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • 79 - 50

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 50 or less

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to read all of this and think "yep, that safety score is a good representation of a driver's safety, and I sure am glad the person next to me on the highway in that Tesla is worried about their score rather than actually driving safely so they can become one of the chosen ones"
Agreed. But I’m still going to work my Safety Score. Brakes be damned!

Reactions: Microterf
You said ALMOST always on Autopilot, means you are coming out of AP and touching on the brakes to slow down. Try NOT touching the brake pedal for an entire drive. Like 0 taps of the brake pedal. I suspect you've made it harder for yourself by switching to low regen. Which means you have to use the brake pedal all day.

Any time i touch the brakes if it's hard or soft, it nails me. If I don't touch the brake pedal AT ALL, i get a perfect braking score.
I'm pretty sure that one of my hard-braking demerits was when I stopped short in my driveway, at low speed. There was no danger of collision in that situation; I just hit the brake pedal a little harder than was necessary. I'm not complaining about this, mind you; I'm just posting it to illustrate that even a very common, and perfectly safe, event can count against your safety score.

Tesla's safety score is imperfect at best; but as I've posted elsewhere, I don't think it's intended to be a perfect measure of safety. As far as I can tell, it's simply intended to serve as a gatekeeper to help Tesla manage the order in which people get into the wide beta program, thus limiting risks to the general public and Tesla's liability. People posting complaints here are taking it too personally and too seriously. One "unfair" hard-braking event will almost certainly not affect whether you'll get into the beta program, and is unlikely to even affect when you get in. It's a pattern of driving that will do that. Granted, even some of those patterns may be unfair -- say, if you live on a steep street that triggers false alarms on the hard braking measure; but from Tesla's point of view, some inaccuracy in individuals' scores is just statistical noise. As we're talking about a beta-test program, not a release version of the software, I wouldn't worry too much about it, either.

Reactions: nvx1977 and mhan00
Maybe its better to think of it as an environmental safety score instead of a driver score. You may live in a place where drivers cut you off or there are other issues that cause the score to drop arbitrarily and its really not your fault but does that matter? Its still beneficial for Tesla to consider your score. Regardless of the reason, some environments might be more risky than others for the initial roll out of beta. Given all the FUD and scrutiny they are facing, they really need this to go well. I had one single hard brake event last night due to a yellow light that I stopped for that dropped me from 99 to 97 :(. I'll keep going for easy drives to try and boost it back up but I'm not angry and understand the spirit of what they are trying to do.

Reactions: mhan00
It's hard to read all of this and think "yep, that safety score is a good representation of a driver's safety, and I sure am glad the person next to me on the highway in that Tesla is worried about their score rather than actually driving safely so they can become one of the chosen ones"
Most days, I have my doubts that the drivers next to me care about driving safely at all.

Reactions: nvx1977
As we're talking about a beta-test program, not a release version of the software, I wouldn't worry too much about it, either.

But the issue is that Tesla doesn't describe the system this way, as a gatekeeper for yet another beta software product.
The page that describes the safety score specifically says it estimates your risk of collision, using a very scientific process, built on 6 billion miles of data. The safety score page doesn't mention the "FSD" beta in any way. Just that it is an accurate, data driven measure of your safety as a driver, using metrics that you can impact.

These are combined to estimate the likelihood that your driving could result in a future collision.

Also Tesla has made it clear they want to use data like this to set insurance prices. They currently can't do this in CA because it's illegal, but they are considering it in Texas and other places. There are some very real world, financial and other impacts planned for this imperfect score that you suggest people don't worry about.

As usual, Tesla names something one way, that any normal english speaking person would interpret as having a specific function. Then, when it doesn't actually work that way at all, a bunch of Tesla defenders have to go "well, what Tesla really means is...." and "it's just a name, you have to read the manual."

Well, in the case of FSD, there is no manual, and in the case of the Safety Score, the manual makes it very clear Tesla believes it works like the name says.

Finally got the Android update through the Google Play Store to see my Safety Score. I have a 97 so far.

A bit curious why I got dinged so much for unsafe following since I tried to be very careful about that. But oh well. 97 ain't too bad.

The following distance limits are hilariously over-cautious. Commuting in Miami without violating them is near-impossible. I routinely get a 50% percent (or more) penalty on following distance, commuting every day, and I’m still at a 97 overall.

Also, you can definitely m use the service brakes without getting dinged. Obviously you can’t get deep into them, but they’re absolutely available without getting into the penalty zone.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
The following distance limits are hilariously over-cautious. Commuting in Miami without violating them is near-impossible. I routinely get a 50% percent (or more) penalty on following distance, commuting every day, and I’m still at a 97 overall.

Also, you can definitely m use the service brakes without getting dinged. Obviously you can’t get deep into them, but they’re absolutely available without getting into the penalty zone.

Thanks

I got dinged for follow distance on a drive where I used TACC set to 6. In fact it said I was too close 60% of the time. The drive was an hour long on the highway without any cars on the on or off ramps or local streets on my way home.
Their system is definitely weird.

I got dinged for follow distance on a drive where I used TACC set to 6. In fact it said I was too close 60% of the time. The drive was an hour long on the highway without any cars on the on or off ramps or local streets on my way home.
Their system is definitely weird.
The follow distance is deceptive. Think of it as a fraction with the numerator being the number of seconds you are 1 second or less behind a car. The denominator is the number of seconds you are 0 to 3 seconds behind a car.

So you can drive an hour on an empty road and come up on a car for 5 seconds, 3 of which you are within one second of that car and your score will be 60%.

I think this one is most confusing since you don't get credit for time where you are more than 3 seconds away from the car in front of you.

Screenshot_20211001-144911_Tesla.jpg

I'm still in the running. Waiting for someone to pull out in front of me to ruin it all....