Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

Are you planning on purchasing a chademo adapter?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw CCS chargers (Electrify America) in our local Walmart parking lot rated at 350kW! My M3 can take a 300kW feed, I think, so the CCS adapter would be what I would want!

This is the case in Europe with their CCS adapter I think they get up to 190kw at ioniq CCS. I think that's what they used for the 24 hour distance record. Here's hoping they release one for north america.

I saw CCS chargers (Electrify America) in our local Walmart parking lot rated at 350kW! My M3 can take a 300kW feed, I think, so the CCS adapter would be what I would want!

The Sams Club near my house has a new Electrify America station. Most of the plugs (6) are 150kW CCS. There are two plugs that are 350kW CCS and only one that is CHAdeMO 50kW.

I still have the CHAdeMO adapter from when I owned a Model S, so this update is still a very welcome change. I can finally use my old adapter again.

If we are going to wish for things we don't have, how about a CCS port in the other tail light that I could plug into without any adapter ?

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
The charging infrastructure in the prairies and Southern BC is not that well built out. Having the Chademo adapter is a good safety net to have when travelling. Yeah, I may not need it, but it will be nice to have in the trunk just in case.
Chademo will one day help in some corners of Saskatchewan but currently there's nothing between Medicine Hat and Winnipeg. The later has the only 2 Chademo in all of Manitoba and the former is the only Chademo East of Alberta QE2 highway. Oh, and Canmore has the only Chademo in Alberta West of the QE2. Tesla is about to have better coverage in Alberta than Chademo (my understanding is that it was equal until the Medicine Hat location opened recently) and it looks like it'll be out in front of Chademo for a while in SK, given how far progressed Moose Jaw SC, until some of those planned Chademo locations further up North in SK materialize at some Canadian Tire locations.

In my entire Houston -> middle of SK -> Calgary -> back to SK -> Prince Albert -> South and over to Kenora -> Houston trip earlier this month having Chademo capacity would have saved me maybe 2 hrs to 2.5 hrs of time total. And cost an extra $30 or so in charging.

Last edited:
Err, I'm pretty sure the current firmware in the Model 3 does not allow the adapter to work yet. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The reported feature of 2019.24.1 allowing Model 3s to use Chademo didn't materialize?

The good news is that the adapter receives software updates.

I haven't heard about the adaptor itself being capable of receiving firmware updates? How is it doing this? Is the car pushing a patch package to it when it is plugged into the charging port?

The reported feature of 2019.24.1 allowing Model 3s to use Chademo didn't materialize?

I haven't heard about the adaptor itself being capable of receiving firmware updates? How is it doing this? Is the car pushing a patch package to it when it is plugged into the charging port?

You have to take the adapter into one of the Tesla service centers to have it updated. Mine has always worked as expected, so never had it done, but others on the forum have done this.

Yeah I've seen the service center staff updating some chademo adapters. Not sure why the car can't update it like with the UMC.

Agreed, if the consideration is a straight up 'cost savings' it takes a while to pay it off. But probably not 'years'. In my case I am going to get one because I do shop at Ikea quite often and there is also a grocery store by the Ikea, so having the convenience of a free pseudo fast charge while I shop groceries, etc is kind of worth it....but I do wish I had the option to buy a used one....
Regret raining on the IKEA Swedish meatballs...Tesla has limited max charge rate for some S due to claimed battery condition after “excessive” DC charging. This included at least one car with frequent non-Tesla DC charging.

On the other hand, TesLoop cars have racked up several hundred thousand miles each with high proportion of SuperCharger stops.

The problem is that all the Chademo (and CCS) are, like Supercharges, "coming soon" in the desert between Calgary and Winnipeg. It would have been possible to go Winnipeg to Minneapolis via Duluth but last update is the Cahdemo/CCS units south of the border had technical problems, were being replaced. Meanwhile, apparently bases have been poured for at least 2 Superchargers in SK - Moose Jaw and Maple Creek - suggesting the trans-Canada is at least under construction to some extent. (Ditto the team doing Sault Ste. Marie says they are moving on to Wawa next. ) So if they complete Supercharging the TCH it may turn out that the Chademo adapter is a quaint accessory not a lifesaver... even more so if they do Fargo and environs too.

Yeah I've seen the service center staff updating some chademo adapters. Not sure why the car can't update it like with the UMC.
Probably because the adapter has been so niche that developing that ability has never made the priority cut.

The percentage of S & X owners with the adapter has been tiny. I’d be surprised if it’s over 1%, and it seems most that do have one use it very infrequently, if at all.

Same reason it was 2 years after the Model 3 started shipping until the feature was added.

Not on my model 3, but my wife's bolt at the Ikea charger. Curious to see if my model 3 will pull similar numbers at a comparable state of charge. Id be happy with 45kw while I grab some groceries and wait for a pizza :)

IMG_20190715_193355.jpg

Update: at 70% soc the current dropped dramatically. Now at 380V but only 60A, so about half the charge rate. I've never really paid much attention to the current ramp/drop on our Bolt. Pretty big change at only 70%, especially since Chevy doesn't have any 'you should only charge to 90%' suggestion like tesla. Let's hope the model 3 doesn't taper off this quickly....I guess it might also be the carving unit thermally protecting itself. It is quite warm so maybe it can't sustain such a high current?

Last edited:
Not on my model 3, but my wife's bolt at the Ikea charger. Curious to see if my model 3 will pull similar numbers at a comparable state of charge. Id be happy with 45kw while I grab some groceries and wait for a pizza :)

View attachment 430057

Update: at 70% soc the current dropped dramatically. Now at 380V but only 60A, so about half the charge rate. I've never really paid much attention to the current ramp/drop on our Bolt. Pretty big change at only 70%, especially since Chevy doesn't have any 'you should only charge to 90%' suggestion like tesla. Let's hope the model 3 doesn't taper off this quickly....I guess it might also be the carving unit thermally protecting itself. It is quite warm so maybe it can't sustain such a high current?
My understanding is that’s normal taper on the Bolt. Why we didn’t bother with DCFC option, it’s not something you’d want to be traveling with and home 7kW covers our 2nd vehicle needs.

I’m not sure about “official” but we use Hilltop feature outside days we might push the range limit. The same basic Li battery physical chemistry applies to those LG batteries, whether GM says so or not.

My understanding is that’s normal taper on the Bolt. Why we didn’t bother with DCFC option, it’s not something you’d want to be traveling with and home 7kW covers our 2nd vehicle needs.

I’m not sure about “official” but we use Hilltop feature outside days we might push the range limit. The same basic Li battery physical chemistry applies to those LG batteries, whether GM says so or not.
That was my original thinking and we used hilltop for a while, but in the manual it doesn't say anything about limiting the max SOC like it does with Tesla's. Perhaps there is some buffer at the top end like chevy did with both volts...the gen 1 had a 12 kwh battery, but only 10-11 kwh useable, and gen 2 had a 17 kwh battery and only ~14.1 kwh useable...so you charged to 100%, but that was really more like 86%. One of the things I always liked about Chevy's engineering vs leaf and other similarly priced EVs...and likely why volts have virtually no range loss over time.

That was my original thinking and we used hilltop for a while, but in the manual it doesn't say anything about limiting the max SOC like it does with Tesla's. Perhaps there is some buffer at the top end like chevy did with both volts...the gen 1 had a 12 kwh battery, but only 10-11 kwh useable, and gen 2 had a 17 kwh battery and only ~14.1 kwh useable...so you charged to 100%, but that was really more like 86%. One of the things I always liked about Chevy's engineering vs leaf and other similarly priced EVs...and likely why volts have virtually no range loss over time.
The heat of summers in TX call for more caution. ;)

From engineering teardown I've seen there isn't even 10% slack capacity in the battery pack. It is far more like the slack room in Tesla's packs. I consider it negligent by GM to not providing guidance on this, although there might be some EPA rules bureaucracy around why this isn't official advice.

My understanding is that if you have single-point set point for battery charging cap you have to use that for your range number. Tesla gets around this by having a slider. The Bolt's UI is, to put it mildly, more primitive. LG didn't develop something like that by the point of shipping. So instead there is this rudimentary Hilltop, that named so is another way around the above EPA rule. But it also means it is very awkward to officially say it is for protecting your battery from degradation.

Huge caveat is I don't know how accurate that EPA rule story is.

Huge caveat is I don't know how accurate that EPA rule story is.
I heard a similar statement with regards to the Leaf many years ago. They used to offer the option to charge to a lower percentage to preserve the battery but eliminated it because the "EPA rule" was introduced and would not have allowed them to report the full charge range. I've never owned or even driven a Leaf but I vaguely recall I read this in a review from a reputable source.

Regret raining on the IKEA Swedish meatballs...Tesla has limited max charge rate for some S due to claimed battery condition after “excessive” DC charging. This included at least one car with frequent non-Tesla DC charging.

On the other hand, TesLoop cars have racked up several hundred thousand miles each with high proportion of SuperCharger stops.

Would the 3 battery chemistry be better? Hopefully Chademo DC charging won't increment the charging counter...

...and are on their 2nd or 3rd batteries in doing so. My P90D has gone from 429 kms of range to 396 kms of range, a drop of 8% and it is rarely if ever charged to 100% (maybe 10 times in its life on long journeys that required it). Wonder if Tesla cares about my battery losing 8% of its life or if that's 'normal'.

Tesla Model S Review And Cost Analysis After 450,000 Miles

tesloop-tesla-model-s.jpg

Last edited: