Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

Are you planning on purchasing a chademo adapter?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the hardware is on the Tesla website. I’m reading that, “Tesla says that any North American Tesla vehicle, including Model 3, on the firmware 2019.24.1 can use the adapter.”

My Model 3 is on 2019.20.4.4. How long would Tesla typically take to move four full digits in a year’s firmware?

I see the hardware is on the Tesla website. I’m reading that, “Tesla says that any North American Tesla vehicle, including Model 3, on the firmware 2019.24.1 can use the adapter.”

My Model 3 is on 2019.20.4.4. How long would Tesla typically take to move four full digits in a year’s firmware?

The first number is the year. The second number is the week in that year. The following numbers are versioning within that week's release. So based on that 2019.24 was developed four weeks later than 2019.20, but no guarantees on when it'll be widely released. It could be quick and everyone gets it next week (since it has been released to a few cars this week, including one model 3) or they could find a bug or something and delay it for a few weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Err, I'm pretty sure the current firmware in the Model 3 does not allow the adapter to work yet. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct, there aren't any canadian model 3s with 2019.24 yet. But at least 1 has gotten it in the states, and there are a bunch of S/X getting it over the past few days...around 300 or so showing on TeslaFi over the past few days.

upload_2019-7-12_10-2-54.png

Hopefully in the next week or so it will get a wider rollout to us. I picked up my unit this morning, and plan to test it as soon as the update drops....as long as its not next week since I'm travelling for work :eek:

• Helpful
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Does anyone know how many kW you can actually get into a 3 from a 50kW CHAdeMO charger (like NB Power and NS Power's flo chargers)? I thought I read somewhere it was around 35kW, because the 50kW rating is at a higher voltage than the Tesla batteries use.
Just like with a supercharger, the kw will fluctuate. On my MS i commonly see 36 kw, 44 kw, 48 kw on the EVgo 50kw stations

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Does anyone know how many kW you can actually get into a 3 from a 50kW CHAdeMO charger (like NB Power and NS Power's flo chargers)? I thought I read somewhere it was around 35kW, because the 50kW rating is at a higher voltage than the Tesla batteries use.
Based off what I have read, that sounds about right. I'm expecting something like 40-45kW at the station, and about 40 into the car. While its not a supercharger, its still +5x faster than most L2 stations. As soon as I get the update I'll do a test, and post results....but likely someone in the states will beat me to that since they will likely get the updates before us.

Reactions: Tz00
No plans on buying one.If I really need one, I'll borrow it from The Tesla Owners Club of Ontario. We have 2 of them, for loan, free of charge, to members.
Update: Tesla Owners Club of Ontario just bought 2 more, due to the increased level of demand....so we have 4 now. reserve on the TOCO website.

With this adapter, Tesla gave us an option on non Tesla quick chargers. I don’t think I will need it in near future, but I do think other car company have to ship their EVs to catch up with Tesla. And all of those will be either CCs or ChaDemo enabled. Imagine, once those car company start to sponsor the charging infrastructure, the non Tesla charge network will glow, may take time to catch Tesla but there will be.

So my answer is yes, because I afraid those will be OUt of stock very soon.

Probably a technical issue with the adapter. Originally I think chademo was 50kw max. Now they have 100kw max. Probably twice the current so adapter has to be rated for 250A instead of 125A.

I saw CCS chargers (Electrify America) in our local Walmart parking lot rated at 350kW! My M3 can take a 300kW feed, I think, so the CCS adapter would be what I would want!