Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Should Megacharger compatible to Model S and X?

Should megacharger be compatible with Model S and X?

• Hell yes!! I want faster super/mega charging in my Model S/X!!

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • Yes. I want faster charging, but depends on cost of upgrade existing car or buy a new car

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • I don't care about charging speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure. Haven't thought about it.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • No. Megacharger is not necessary for non-Semi. It charge too fast.

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • No. The technology is not there yet to deliver such power to a relatively small battery (100 kwh)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • No. Electrical infrastructure can't support a fleet of Tesla charging at 500 kw at the same time

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • No. Megacharger will be too limited in terms of number of locations

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggnykk

Feb 7, 2016
Earth
The new megacharger will easily deliver at least 500 kw (maybe more) of electric power to the Semi-truck. But the real question is should the megacharger be compatible with Model S and X? What's your opinion?

I don't think it should.

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with the trucking industry, but I would think that some potential buyers would be turned off by the prospect of waiting in line for charging behind a group of S, X and 3's on their way for vacation.

Time is money and the cost will go up with any extra waiting for charging.

Tesla needs to keep building out the super chargers and eventual upgrade them if needed.

The new megacharger will easily deliver at least 500 kw (maybe more) of electric power to the Semi-truck. But the real question is should the megacharger be compatible with Model S and X? What's your opinion?
This seems to be a 1MWh battery, charging to 80% (800kwh) takes 30 mins. So the charger needs to put out 1.6MWh, more than triple of what you were guessing, no?

That also makes the question: Should I be able to charge my S/X/3 with this pretty clear. For the next few years you would pop all wiring in a normal car in an instant/turn your car in a smoldering heap of metal.

Reactions: Adm
This seems to be a 1MWh battery, charging to 80% (800kwh) takes 30 mins. So the charger needs to put out 1.6MWh, more than triple of what you were guessing, no?

That also makes the question: Should I be able to charge my S/X/3 with this pretty clear. For the next few years you would pop all wiring in a normal car in an instant/turn your car in a smoldering heap of metal.
Yes, you are right. The charge rate should be much higher than 500 kw. It was just my wild guess.

This will require something new in terms of a charge hookup. Assuming a 1000 volt system, we'd be looking at 1600 amps. I don't know of a flexible cable that can handle that; you're definitely into heavy solid copper buswork.

I expect that this must be some sortof hookup that lifts into the vehicle from below and clamps on. Or maybe comes down from above? In either case this will not be compatible with the cars.

I also question the solar farm. You'll need quite a solar farm to keep this thing powered.

Sorry but you don't seem to grasp the issue there. Yes, Semi has bigger batteries, yes Supercharger does something similiar in time for the given battery size of the model S/X/3.
The question here was: Should one be able to charge an S/X/3 on a Megacharger and the Answer for the foreseeable future is a resounding NO! because there is no way those in comparison small batteries can handle roughly 10x the max current being pumped into them. Let me paint an overly drastic picture of what might result

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Would I take fully charging my car in less than 3 minutes if it was somehow available? Sure. Do I think it’s likely anytime soon? Nooooooo. At that point you’re going to need some incredible wiring to not melt the car.

Maybe time to start investing in Helium providers, in anticipation of increased demand in liquid Helium to support the needed superconder wiring?

I actually wish there was a button in the UI that you can choose “Mega” or “Super” charge. There are times where I actually don’t mind the hour wait, because by the time you eat and use the restroom and etc, it flys by.

Then there are times where I’d love to charge in 5-10 mins and go.

I’d choose “Super” for a slower charge and thus avoiding idle fees. “Mega” if I’m ready to get going right away, no bathroom break needed or anything.

I actually wish there was a button in the UI that you can choose “Mega” or “Super” charge. There are times where I actually don’t mind the hour wait, because by the time you eat and use the restroom and etc, it flys by.

Then there are times where I’d love to charge in 5-10 mins and go.

I’d choose “Super” for a slower charge and thus avoiding idle fees. “Mega” if I’m ready to get going right away, no bathroom break needed or anything.

That makes sense for you, of course, but not for Tesla. Their incentive is to get you out of that stall as fast as possible to make sure wait times don't add up.

It's physically incompatible and I'm not even sure why you even made the thread.

The only way a S/X can use it is if they get the new connector and 4 battery packs. Not going to happen.

In case you haven't seen the connector see

it's like 4 charging cables in one port (2 pins per pack, 4 packs)

It's physically incompatible and I'm not even sure why you even made the thread.

The only way a S/X can use it is if they get the new connector and 4 battery packs. Not going to happen.

In case you haven't seen the connector see

it's like 4 charging cables in one port (2 pins per pack, 4 packs)
That's why I stated the question if we "should". The reason for this thread is for discussion of the possibility.

The question here was: Should one be able to charge an S/X/3 on a Megacharger and the Answer for the foreseeable future is a resounding NO! because there is no way those in comparison small batteries can handle roughly 10x the max current being pumped into them. Let me paint an overly drastic picture of what might result

Imagine a Omega Charger lol...

That's why I stated the question if we "should". The reason for this thread is for discussion of the possibility.

The possibility of a retro fit is 0.0000000000%. Any car that doesn't have it won't get one after the fact.

The possibility of a S, X, or 3 using an adapter to get 1 ports worth of charge rate from a megacharger is non zero but why bother? Just use the easier to get to supercharger.

The possibility of creating a new S, X, or 3 with the new connector and 4 packs is non zero but lower than the chance of the aforementioned low purpose adapter. The megacharger connector is too large to fit in the existing charge port opening for the S, X, or 3, There isn't room to put it on any of those cars in a way that doesn't cause an issue for style, cost, or reliability.

in short I think it's all a waste of time to discuss.

Maybe not megacharging, but the consumer cars do need faster charging.

Months ago, there was talk about the possibility of reducing Supercharging times to 5-10 minutes, which would put a charging stop at about the length of an ICE stop at a gas station.

We've done several road trips with our S 100D, and want to stop every 3-4 hours anyway (bathroom/food/drink/stretching break). And if those stops could be shortened to 5-10 minutes each, the driving time would get close to what we would have done in an ICE.

Maybe not megacharging, but the consumer cars do need faster charging.

Months ago, there was talk about the possibility of reducing Supercharging times to 5-10 minutes, which would put a charging stop at about the length of an ICE stop at a gas station.

We've done several road trips with our S 100D, and want to stop every 3-4 hours anyway (bathroom/food/drink/stretching break). And if those stops could be shortened to 5-10 minutes each, the driving time would get close to what we would have done in an ICE.

That’s basically 1MW. It’s certainly not impossible, but it’ll take some advances to be able to handle that; mostly in the battery chemistry.