Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So like the Model 3?

No.

Tesla has not only already decided to build it their entire future depends upon it.

The $5B Gigafactory is being built right now to make Model 3's battery packs.

Gigafactory-Drone.jpg

Porsche Mission E is a concept that they have yet to decided if they will build.

" At the end of the year they will decide whether they build the car or not" Translation: " a reasonable number of ours clients are trading our brand for Tesla, so for the ones who have not do the trade...yet, we are saying: "wait before jumping to Tesla, wait because maybe, maybe in 2019 you will be able to brought to you something that will be perhaps better than the actual Tesla, but we don't know either if we will build it, so wait, wait, please don't trade us"... and with the Model X in coming, their Cayenne will be the next to feel the heat...

Dual motors, flat battery pack in floor, their own fast charging (Porsche Turbo Charging). Sounds like a solid strategy. :wink: Hope they follow through.

This is the first car I've seen since I heard about the Model S that I would actually want to buy. (I also really like Porsche cars, but would never consider owning a gas one)

I think this is great news if...Porsche builds it, and in QUANTITY. But at the moment this is just marketing noise to try to stop Porsche owners from selling their Panameras and Cayennes for Teslas. Which is what is happening.
As a former Porsche Cayman owner (which I think is a stunningly beautiful design) I am not keen on the body design of that "Mission E" concept. I don't want 4 seats. The car is too big, the front fenders are too exaggerate and I don't like suicide doors.
I do hope Porsche builds this car.

If they actually deliver this, more power to them -- competition is always a good thing. However, I'll be very surprised if it actually comes out, is sold aggressively by the dealer network and in any kind of volume. Also, no mention of price or where you can charge in 15 minutes.

These doors remember me one of the Model 3's renders that I had seen a wile ago but I can't find it again, and the car seems to me slightly smaller than a Model S (20% smaller?:wink:). So, I wonder if Porsche had got their hands at the plans of the Model 3's alpha prototype?:biggrin: If so, it's a scoop and I like the design...

Nothing says concept car like suicide door and missing rear mirrors. Although, damn is if isn't a looker, and I'm not a Porsche guy at all. In fact too good looking to not see production. But probably as a gas powered Panameria Junior coming out later. Hopefully EV version will come out too.

Nothing says concept car like suicide door and missing rear mirrors. Although, damn is if isn't a looker, and I'm not a Porsche guy at all. In fact too good looking to not see production. But probably as a gas powered Panameria Junior coming out later. Hopefully EV version will come out too.

Right. The interior center console is far too prominent for this to be an EV-only design.

The only way they're going to be able to charge it that fast using CCS is the upcoming IEC 62196-3 standard (max 1000VDC @ 400A = 400kW) If they have 800V batteries, the most they can deliver is 320kW at peak, so 15 minutes at max wattage yields 80kWh. Factor in the last 25% or so gets tapered down, you're looking at maybe a 65-70kWh battery that charges from 0-full in 15 minutes. Getting 300 miles of range in a car that size should be doable if it's light enough AND they use the European drive cycle. What are the odds they use the skinny i3 tires? ;)

best looking ev I've seen next to the S. love the doors, wish the x had gone this route.
"Suicide doors" have always had limited appeal.
From Wikipedia:
Suicide doors were common on cars manufactured in the first half of the 20th century.[SUP][1][/SUP] In the era before seat belts, the accidental opening of such doors meant that there was a greater risk of falling out of the vehicle compared to front-hinged doors, where airflow pushed the doors closed rather than opening them further. Suicide doors were especially popular with mobsters in the gangster era of the 1930s, supposedly due to the ease of pushing passengers out of moving vehicles, according to Dave Brownell, the former editor of Hemmings Motor News.[SUP][3][/SUP]
Due to increasing safety concerns, the last mass-produced car model with independently opening suicide doors was the Ford Thunderbird four-door sedan from 1967 to 1971.